Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2010, 08:34   #1

Project Trawler

New to the forum - just found it this morning
I can't afford much, but I'm handy with repairs and remodeling. Although I don't know much at all about what would be needed, I can certainly take my time and learn.
With that said, I found this 1974 in need of gutting and remodeling. The Volvo Penta is frozen and would need repair or replacing. Asking only $900 for it is this worth working on and remodeling? Would love to hear thoughts on a project like this. It's 32' and advertised as being built my Arthur L. Hudson (anyone heard of him?)
Here it is as it lays now:

Any input/thoughts would be very much appreciated for a newcomer!

Fiveflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:11   #2

Boat: 1968 Pearson Wanderer 30 - "Grizabella"
I would submit it's not worth $900 in the condition it's in. Remember and repeat this: there is no such thing as a free boat.

It will require a substantial investment of money and an equally substantial investment in time, to get that boat back into seaworthy condition.

I have seen lots of projects boats in slips and on the hard where the owners finally became overwhelmed and gave up. Don't underestimate how long this project would take and how much it would cost. This is not something that can be done for a few hundred dollars and a few months of your spare time on weekends.

I would allocate, round numbers, $5,000 to $10,000 for the engine alone.
ILikeRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 09:33   #3

Boat: Skookum 53'
Welcome to the forum, Fiveflat. She does look like a fixer/upper. The value to you will have to be determined by a lot of different things. The engine, while not a deal breaker, will take you some time to find a replacement on Craig's list or like sites, however, there are many reasons an engine can be seized and not all of them require an engine replacement. The other consideration is how much is your time worth? The good news is, she is afloat. It would be really difficult to assess how much work the vessel will need before making her seaworthy, from the photos that you have posted. As the previous poster has mentioned, there is no such thing as a free boat. And it usually takes 10 times longer and costs 6 times as much as you think it will.
Old 28-10-2010, 11:03   #4

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Interesting lines with that clipper bow and round stern. Looks like she has some Monterey Clipper in her gene pool. I like it
Old 28-10-2010, 11:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Interesting lines with that clipper bow and round stern. Looks like she has some Monterey Clipper in her gene pool. I like it
Yes, it's advertised as a Monterey Clipper...
The fact that it floats, doesn't leak, and it's fiberglass are positive. I could take it home as well to work on it (provided I can really haul it easily - seller says it weighs about 5-6 tons) and I suppose if I do get discouraged or overwhelmed it could become a clubhouse for the kiddos...
Old 28-10-2010, 11:26   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It all comes down to what condition the hull and cabin are in.

Is the hull cored-survey it!

Is the cabin top leaking? Look for rot, rot, rot!

Is the deck cored and leaking?

I know of another 42 footer that has a new Cummings diesel but everything above the deck is rotten.

There's a lot of them out there but they take a lot of work. Don't ask how I know!
Old 28-10-2010, 11:32   #7

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
10 years ago I would have taken her Had a friend that owned one and IIRC, was a pretty tough hull. Can't remember if cored or solid Del, but in the 6o's and 70's did a lot of Airex work, and don't remember them being built similar type.
Old 28-10-2010, 11:32   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Can it be done? certainly...are you a self starter and not easely deterred or discouraged?..if not walk away.

If so you can do it.

Having it in your back yard would be emencly helpful.

I would not consider it unless you have the blessings of your wife and 10K liquid cash to start with...Id wait on the engine till last..just pull it out..squirt some oil in the cylinders and leave it in the corner of the garage for now...it may be perfectly fine.

One last thing...don't try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear...just get her to the usable stage and enjoy her for what she is.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 13:20   #9

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
I like her but as the other posters have said you have alot of work ahead of you, but if your handy and can do the bulk of the work WHY NOT? the hull does indeed look like glass and she does have pleasing lines but i can guarentee you it will take longer and cost more than you will think (from personal experience)it will and if you can take her home and your wife is also keen on the idea then i think thats where i would take her for starters you will have cranage costs but you will save a bundle on hardstand costs and the best part if you feel like working on her you can any time! so the choice is yours good luck and if you do decide to take her on, keep us uptodate on your progress cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2010, 13:26   #10

Well, it seems I'm a bit late. Just got an email saying he sold her today.
Just as well, I really was struggling with how to get her inland to my home to do the work. I did speak with a gentleman (friend of a friend) who owns a boat repair shop in an attempt to find a way to haul it and he mentioned that folks come to him a lot saying
"I just can't keep paying the slip fees on it, can you just take it off my hands?"

So maybe next time that scenario comes up I'll find a pocket trawler that fits my needs...
Old 28-10-2010, 13:39   #11

Lots of Hippy types buy these kinds of boats as cheap liveaboards and do relatively little to them...It might pop up for sail again in a while...in better or worse shape....generally but not always any improvements they have made will have to be redone....that's not meant as a slam..just the way it is.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 29-10-2010, 00:40   #12

Make sure your checkbook is as determined as you are. If it were me I'd walk and find one running in better shape for $5k then put $10K into it.

Good advise here from everyone, it's all a personal matter but if you follow through please let us know how it goes! What's fun or expensive for one guy might be cheap and miserable or fun for another.
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 17:35   #13

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
On another note...there's a 'fixer upper' near us that he's trying to give away. The marine crew that installed our dock said they would charge $5,000+ just to scupper it. There's a lot of EPA work involved in making sure there's not oil/fuel left in it, etc. So, even if you had bought it and used it as a clubhouse for the kids for awhile, eventually it's gotta go somewhere...

Anyone have any thoughts on that issue? I'm not sure if the marine crew was blowing smoke or had it right. Here's the boat by us if you're interested...

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 18:44   #14

Boat: Skookum 53'
How about a 5 gallon can of gas and a match?
Old 31-10-2010, 16:44   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
On another note...there's a 'fixer upper' near us that he's trying to give away. The marine crew that installed our dock said they would charge $5,000+ just to scupper it. There's a lot of EPA work involved in making sure there's not oil/fuel left in it, etc. So, even if you had bought it and used it as a clubhouse for the kids for awhile, eventually it's gotta go somewhere...

Anyone have any thoughts on that issue? I'm not sure if the marine crew was blowing smoke or had it right. Here's the boat by us if you're interested...

Yep and the typical type of "Improvement".. I was talking about perched on top.

Tags
trawler