Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2014, 09:09   #1

Getting bluewater experience

I am looking for advice on getting some blue water experience so my wife and myself could take a power not sailboat from Florida to Bahamas. We have been boating on and off for 20yrs. Started out in Kingston Ontario with a 24ft Peterborough . Spent 5yrs boating the thousand islands and eastern side of Lake Ontario. Moved out west so only boating was on small lakes fishing, chartered houseboats nothing to relate to coastal boating. 3 yrs. ago move back and purchased a Norwegian built boat. Its a fjord consul 26 built in 1966 . We have been again boating the St Lawrence river and Lake Ontario. Last winter we went to Antiqua for holidays we took the local ferry over to Barbuda for the night. It was a 50ft power cat and we were in 6-8ft swells ,the ride didn't bother us . I am interested in learning about tides ,ocean currents and how they affect handing on power boats. I know the only way to learn is to do it but what is the smartest way to get the experience, ie course, charter .
Thanks Rob
rob67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, water