Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 11:39   #1

FRP Deck Rot Repair Costs

Hi,
Quick question for those that had to have their decks replaced and rot fixed (common issue on a Krogen).
How much did your fix cost and how bad was the rot? Just trying to get ballpark figures.

Thanks
AC
42Krogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 12:05   #2

Re: FRP Deck Rot Repair Costs

It's probably pretty wide open. One small area or several/large area? Often it involves not only cutting the deck apart and reglassing but a whole deck paint job. That paint job in itself could be $10k

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 12:22   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

As the cliche goes, "if you have to ask how much..." And this sadly, is fairly true. As you can't tell how extensive the damage is until the deck's top skin is removed. And even then, estimating the costs is pretty tough, since a lot of other problems can & do pop up as one delves further into the deck repairs. Meaning that other systems & structures will also need repair or replacement as well.

There are a lot of threads on deck (core) repairs on the forums if you do a bit of digging. They'll give you a decent idea of what's involved, including visuals via pics.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 13:01   #4

Im aware its expensive, im just curious what others have had to go through.
AC
Old 25-10-2016, 13:59   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Krogen View Post
Im aware its expensive, im just curious what others have had to go through.
AC
It really is worth reading some of the threads on the topic, & possibly even speaking to a few members who've done it/are doing it, 1 on 1. As without question they'll have a lot more insight into it than is easy to share via a message board or PM. I know that it's what I would do were I contemplating such an undertaking (repair). Though I would have tried to avoid doing it in the first place, unless the circumstances were really, really good. Read that the boat was dirt cheap, & I could source materials for pennies on the dollar.

Speaking of which, definitely do some digging so that you know where best to get the best prices on things like epoxy. Where a cost difference in the raw materials will greatly affect the cost of the project. As for instance, I've run across epoxy for $5/lb (or less) in the past, & if you're going to need 500lb or 1,000lbs of it, such prices help a lot. Ditto on glass, cores, & consumables, etc. Buy'em cheap, & buy in bulk.
Assuming that is, that you're not going to hire out the whole job to a yard, who buys their own materials.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 14:12   #6

Thanks, I'd have a yard do it, helps me understand why the quotes vary so much
Old 25-10-2016, 14:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Is there a Kadey Krogan user's web site. Might be an idea to get in touch with those folks. May be able to get in thouch with other Krogan owners through the Trawler Forum.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 09:40   #8

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

I'm currently going through a teak deck removal and replacement with fiberglass on my 42' 1981 GB.I'm replacing with a fiberglass overlay, then an Epoxy smooth, with an Awlgrip Non-skid pattern. I have been lucky so far since no water penetration was discovered. Costs appear to be ending up at about 40 to 45K. I'm using Saunder's Yacht Works in Gulf Shores, AL. They are indeed pricey but quality of work is top notch.

I'll send some pictures when I can get over there soon to see progress.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 10:24   #9

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

I have a half dozen different areas with a soft deck due to rot ranging in size from 1 square foot at a leaking stansion to 15 sq ft where a pad eye for the spin pole foreguy (aka down ****er) leaked. Prior to purchasing my boat (1975 Tartan 41) I got several quotes that ranged from $7,500 for a place up the Hudson river, to about $15k for Mystic Shipyard. I used the quotes to bring the purchase price down by $10k. Have been sailing 4 yrs without repair of the deck yet. No real issues, though I'm sure the rot has gotten a bit bigger... Keep in mind, 80% of the cost is Labor typically $90 - $120 per hour in these parts. So if you do some of the work yourself, you can save a lot of $$. The materials to fix my deck would probably be ~$1,000... which is why I can't bring myself to pay to have it done. And I would rather sail in the warmth then have my boat on the hard for repairs up here in the NE.
best of luck
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 11:08   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Krogen View Post
Hi,
Quick question for those that had to have their decks replaced and rot fixed (common issue on a Krogen).
How much did your fix cost and how bad was the rot? Just trying to get ballpark figures.

Thanks
AC
A reputable marine service provider should be able to predict the extent of repair required with pretty high accuracy. We invoice time and materials which usually
comes in a little lower than estimate, calculated by...

$25 / deck fitting screw that has to be removed and replaced.
$500 + $100 / sq ft of core replacement.
$200 + $50 / sq ft of deck refinishing, random texture paint or gelcoat or
$500 + $100/sq ft of uniform non-skid pattern gelcoat.

If a fixed quote is required (e.g. insurance claim) multiply estimate times 1.5.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 12:33   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

I worked with a friend on a sailing boat we calculated about USD 150 in tooling and materials (foam, glass, epoxy) per sq meter. I think it will be much cheaper for bigger areas that you buy materials in bulk (we bought from a local chandlery, small packs).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 05:15   #12

Boat: 1973 Gulfstar 43 trawler, 1979 Endeavour 37 A plan

Good lord, $40-$45 grand! Wow, I'm glad I did mine myself! I did the entire deck of my 1973 43' Gulfstar trawler, 86' x 24" wide and across the back at 13.5' x 4'. BTW I learned a valuable lesson of never buy a boat in Louisville in December. I didn't realize the decks were frozen solid and didn't show moisture and sounded great with sounding hammer
Anyhoo, bought 15 gallons bulk epoxy, lots o 1/2" marine ply, 1708 biaxle, interlux primer and paint, then kiwi grip. Took over a year working after getting off my full time job, weekends and dancing around the fickle Louisiana weather. Figure total materials at $5000 and enough blood, sweat and tears to fill lake Ponchatrain. BUT $40 grand still in my wallet I also have no fear now when it comes to tackling projects!
John
Boatingmadeez.com
GoneIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 09:56   #13
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneIsland View Post
Good lord, $40-$45 grand! Wow, I'm glad I did mine myself! I did the entire deck of my 1973 43' Gulfstar trawler, 86' x 24" wide and across the back at 13.5' x 4'. BTW I learned a valuable lesson of never buy a boat in Louisville in December. I didn't realize the decks were frozen solid and didn't show moisture and sounded great with sounding hammer
Anyhoo, bought 15 gallons bulk epoxy, lots o 1/2" marine ply, 1708 biaxle, interlux primer and paint, then kiwi grip. Took over a year working after getting off my full time job, weekends and dancing around the fickle Louisiana weather. Figure total materials at $5000 and enough blood, sweat and tears to fill lake Ponchatrain. BUT $40 grand still in my wallet I also have no fear now when it comes to tackling projects!
John
Boatingmadeez.com
Yabut...

If a year of your time (in likely much nicer working conditions) was worth $X to you while working for someone else, why was it not worth at least $40K to you to hire it out, so it could be done correctly, more quickly, and come with a warranty, and you could have used that valuable year (less 2-4 weeks) to cruise instead of being stuck in a yard doing pretty crappy and hazardous work?

(Your boat, just demonstrating that there is a flip side to every coin.)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 00:27   #14

Boat: mt34dt

I have currently finished hour 16 of a teak deck tear off and rotting core replacement. I am newly retired and live aboard a 1984 marine trader 34 DC and seeing I have more time than money I am conducting all work myself and in my slip. This is my first time doing this and there has been a small learning curve so far. I am splitting the job into 2 parts--currently working on starboard side.

My costs and time to date:
Tools ~ $200 from harbor freight
Resin and glass ( 5 gal and 30 yards of 1.5 mat) ~ $360

I removed the teak with a 3 lb sledge and small flat pry bar, driving bar under teak next to screws--very fast learning curve on what works best. The. I removed screws with a drill and bit. Used a small vice grin for the 10 or so screws that had damaged heads. (8 hrs, port side will be approx 5 hrs)

Black sealant--used an oscillating tool with the saw blade running horizontal to get rid of heavy gunk. Then a poly grinder wheel on a cut off wheel and belt sander. I still have small traces of sealant. (4 hrs and still some more left, I'm estimating about 16 hrs for whole boat)

Previous owner coated teak with durabak and this seems like it is going to be the real challenge but I think a heat gun here will be my friend.

Now the fun stuff--cutting out soft spots and finding the bottom layer of fiberglass was delaminated and there is a big hole in my aft cabin, this will be today's job.

I also have ripped out the forward cabin's interior and will do the same today for the aft cabin. Once she is watertight I'll remodel aft cabin with double bed with real mattress and front cabin will be a tool room with sewing bench. Front head will be converted into a walk-in pantry.

I'll try and attach photos and give updates every several days.

I was told this would be in the 10's of thousand dollar range but I am finding different and think I can do the whole job for less than $1500. Time will tell.

I'll post updates ever several days.

Mike
zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 00:55   #15

Boat: mt34dt

Attached pics so far of my job ~ 16 hrs so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0662.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	134090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0661.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	134091  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0657.JPG