Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 07:55   #1

Coronet ID

Hello everyone....my first post here...and about the Danish Coronet boats.

I have the chance to get a 1965 Coronet 7 metre cabin and sort of fly bridge, but I cannot get more info about it yet and its a bit of a haul to go and see it if its not what its supposed to be....

Its going to be a light restoration job, but has no motor or drive at all, and after almost fifty years I can't expect it to be original, but the photos look ok. and has a recente inspection.
.it has a rear quarter deck which I can't see on any Coronet pics I have found, has a slight barrel back curve to the transom, and three seperate windows each side on the cabin and a two pane split windscreen.

One question, and which affects the purchase , is I can't stretch to an inboard -outdrive yet, so thought of blanking the transom and fitting an outboard.
Whats the lowest hp I can get away with...for sheltered coast and inland cruising. I have a newish 100hrs 40 hp fourstroke yam on the other runabout a five metre GRP fifties replica, and it maxes that at about 30knots at 5000 rpm... would it be too underpowered d'you think?

at a nominal seven metres, is it going to be a 21ft or 24 ft, and as 7m is actually 22.75 ft see my problem.

Wheres the ID plate likely to be ?

Look forward to hearing any opinions
Jonboy in Sunny Portugal
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:49   #2

Re: Coronet ID

jonboy

Go to Google.com and look up Coronet Boats. There is even a Coronet Yacht Club which should have some useful information for you.

One caution about converting to outboard power is to ensure the transom is strong enough to hold both the weight of the motor and the torque it will produce. An inboard/outdrive set up transfers most of the load to the internal motor mounts on the boats stringers. Some boat builders use a different transom design for their inboard shaft or V-drives, inboard/outboard drives and outboard drives.
If you are really interested in the boat, you should have it inspected by a marine surveyor to determine the soundness of the hull and the absence of any rot, particularly in the stringers and transom area.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GPSocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:40   #3

Thanks GPSocal...The camera never lies hahaha.

Saw it in the flesh yesterday and what a mess....! hogged, broken keel at the forefoot, totally exposed and out doors for a year or more in 40º C summers and wet winters....
Nice once but I'm pretty sure it was not a Coronet....similar, but not built as well as their reputation would suggest. Name and model blank on the registration title document....

Wishful thinking by the seller I think .

live look and learn!
Old 10-10-2014, 03:42   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jonboy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:28   #5

Thanks GM there's going to be more!