Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2011, 19:20   #196

Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow View Post
Hylas’s
The aft queen on a Hylas 46 CC is unsleepable. As was the forward pullman.

Newport, RI to Bermuda to St Barths.
Old 30-03-2011, 20:12   #197
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I have told the owner to replace the stove.

I have sailed over 50 different models of boats. I get paid to sail OPBs. This the worst stove I have ever seen. It is dangerous.
I've owned two Hunters, a 410 and a 46LE. The first had a Force 10 stove. The second had a Force 10 stove.

I've also sailed many different models of boats, from Hinkleys and Swans all the way down the line. In the past year I've spent significant time on a Tayana, a Tartan, and an Oyster. The one thing they all seem to have in common is a Force 10 stove.

To condemn Hunter for stocking its boats with substandard stoves is a bit goofy, even for someone who claims to make a living sailing other people's boats.
Old 30-03-2011, 20:16   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I've owned two Hunters, a 410 and a 46LE. The first had a Force 10 stove. The second had a Force 10 stove.

I've also sailed many different models of boats, from Hinkleys and Swans all the way down the line. In the past year I've spent significant time on a Tayana, a Tartan, and an Oyster. The one thing they all seem to have in common is a Force 10 stove.

To condemn Hunter for stocking its boats with substandard stoves is a bit goofy, even for someone who claims to make a living sailing other people's boats.
I calls um like I see um.

I told the owner to go Force 10. (Great stoves, crappy BBQs)

I have many more concerns than their stoves.

Do you want me to valid my claim?

Haven't sailed a Hinkley, Oyster or a Tayana, but I have sailed a Swan. Learned to sail on a Tartan.
Old 30-03-2011, 21:51   #199

Boat: deboated

Jack since you have sailed many more boats than most of us what make would you recommend and which makes apart from Hunter you did not like say in the 38 to 45 length cruise only.
Old 07-04-2011, 14:30   #200

Boat: Hunter 340

Perhaps the best judge of Hunters would be the captain and crew who deliver these boats across the Atlantic and further to South Africa!
Old 07-04-2011, 14:47   #201
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Totally agree. The credibility of this post was missing. stoves are optional. fixed floorboards and lee cloths?? I can't think of many boats I've met that had those as standards...and how does this translate into structural quality which is what we are talking about? Yes, even a cynical SaltyMonkey is eyeing the hunters
Old 07-04-2011, 14:58   #202
CLOD

Boat: none

I've been crawling around on my new to me 2001 Hunter 410. If I compare it to my old 1988 Cal-39; I find both had about the same base price when new. In other words the Cal-39 was a much more expensive boat in today's money.

Now here's the catch - I feel the construction of the Hunter is much BETTER than the Cal!

I started this thread orginally to get to the bottom and in the end did buy a Hunter. Like a lot of people I had brought into the Hunter's are crap story, but it's BS! Hopefully people will stop cheaping themselves out of some good boats and take a look with eyes open instead of "I heard this from someone who heard it from someone else that Hunter's are...."
Old 07-04-2011, 15:03   #203
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

a new boat today is a new boat today - benny, hunter, catalina, whatever. If you can get one $$$, why the debate?
Old 07-04-2011, 15:15   #204

Boat: deboated

Salt and Don enjoyed your posts re the Hunters I too thought that the stove comment was lets say unusual for a point to slam a boat over. I am still waiting with cash in hand for Jack to tell me what to buy. It seems he was very keen on the anti Hunter line but not so keen to give us his tip for a good boat. I am sure Don you will thoroughly enjoy your Hunter and find it all you hoped for.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:22   #205

Boat: Gulfstar 50

As for the OP's question I just went through the boat buying again the last few months. I also had a sudden attraction to hunters and looked at a lot of them. If I would have been willing to go to that kind of money I would own one! As is I am very happy with my Islander 36, but good luck on your quest.
Old 20-04-2011, 10:55   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotnow
After taking a Hunter 45cc 1500 miles to Puerto Rico the only flex I saw was the forward cabin door being a little sticky in 40 + kts. of breeze. The plumbing and the lack of “Y” valves is another issue along with hand holds.
We got caught in a squall with 45kt winds and huge seas in our 2000 Hunter 45cc. We didn't use our storm sail due to conditions on our inner forestay (shes a sloop with an additional place for the baby stay) and instead brought in our in-mast furling main to balance us out (forereaching). She handled it beautiful and afterward checked her out- the doors closed as before and no issues we've seen in year since. I would trust her anywhere. We did install Y valves for offshore but our handholds have been sufficient. The 109 gal fuel and 200 water is awesome too.
And we love our aft cabin for live-aboard.

Not sure if we would get any of the new boats with their tiny frig/freezers for cruising as we have the old deep model which holds tons and keeps things well. But every boat is a compromise.
Old 24-04-2011, 18:20   #207

Boat: 2006 Hunter 38

We just bought a 2006 Hunter 38. We looked at a lot of cruisers from 32 to 38 feet, models going back to 2000. We kept coming back to the Hunter because it fit our lifestyle perfectly. I like to race, but I'm not expecting many trophies in that endeavor. Mostly we will cruise and have fun with our kids and grandkids.

I think the best boat is the boat that fits your needs best with the budget you work with. We plan on squeezing every ounce of joy out of that boat.

Enjoy your summer.
Old 24-04-2011, 18:39   #208
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sudden Attraction to Hunters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I've been crawling around on my new to me 2001 Hunter 410. If I compare it to my old 1988 Cal-39; I find both had about the same base price when new. In other words the Cal-39 was a much more expensive boat in today's money.

Now here's the catch - I feel the construction of the Hunter is much BETTER than the Cal!

I started this thread orginally to get to the bottom and in the end did buy a Hunter. Like a lot of people I had brought into the Hunter's are crap story, but it's BS! Hopefully people will stop cheaping themselves out of some good boats and take a look with eyes open instead of "I heard this from someone who heard it from someone else that Hunter's are...."
Hunters had some bad years when quality went downhill... but then the same can be said for Lancia's and Harleys.... the ones who slag them are the buyers in the crap years..
Stop relying on what 'the other guy says' and use your own judgement... or has the 'Big Brother' totally destroyed independant thought.
In 2005 95% of folks in Oriental thought I'd die at sea before I reached the Azores.... the ones who thought I'd make it were Europeans wintering before moving on... .
You guys are just to paranoid... the slightest thing gets you all twitching like a junkie going 'cold turkey'...
Old 24-04-2011, 20:00   #209

I will be picking up a Hunter 23 from my uncle who is giving it to me. I must say it will do fine. His son, my first cousin is Captain of the Tall ships and was hired to instruct the cast and crew of the film "Master and Commander". He says when he was first mate he would sail with his father on this boat when visiting home. Good enough for him good enough for me. He also advised me,
"the smaller the boat, the bigger the ocean. The bigger the boat, the smaller the ocean". And i'm sure he's seen some storms. I look forward to sailing this Hunter and to each his own. Cheers
Old 25-04-2011, 19:25   #210

Boat: Tartan 40
Regarding Hunters (and some other price point production boats)....
I don't like them, but I am a sucker for aesthetically pleasing boats even at the detriment of interior space. If I become a liveaboard I will likely change my tune quickly.
However, I have to wonder about structural durability compared to boats like my Allied Luders, or my family's Hinckley B40. Both boats are over 45 years old. The hull/deck joints on both boats are glassed together on an inward 6-8 inch flange and have not/cannot leak, flex, come apart. All bulkheads and furniture are glassed into the hull completely. Not even a peep/flex/groan from below even when bashing to windward in the heavy stuff. Yes, I know they are heavy and overbuilt, and modified full keels have as many drawbacks as benefits, but tough to argue with the test of time (and of one's eye when you look back at the boat from the dinghy).

Funny thing is, I actually have kept count of how many equal length or larger Hunters I have passed while sailing in the last 4 years on the Chesapeake in range of conditions. 11 and counting. I have been passed once, by an H42. Granted, sailing skill makes a huge difference, and many people on the Bay buy a Hunter as their first boat....

That said, i'd pick a Catalina if I had the money for a new boat, but not enough for a new morris, hinckley, etc. I think they look better, sail better (perhaps), and generally have more positive owners feedback than Hunters.
Closed Thread

Tags
hunter