Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: One Mans Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Great Post!

Thanks for that true life story.

Radar is a wonderful thing. I didn't have it on my first transpacific crossing and ran into lots of fog up near the Straits of Juan de Fuca. I'm certainly glad the big guys had it and that I was able to miss the rocks just south of the entry in time. Fog is a bit scary when approaching a shoreline without radar or GPS. (These were the days before GPS)

Good hearing is a good thing to have. You know you're a little close when you can hear the waves breaking on the shoreline.
Reminds me when you, Robert and I brought "Faiaoahe" into Moss Landing in the fog with your handheld GPS.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:53   #17

Boat: Cal 2-27

Thanks for posting. I do a lot of night sailing as that is when I have time and also, because it is my favorite time to be out there all alone. This one hit home. I remember my first night sail. A bit scary, but now, sooooooo relaxing.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01   #18

It's simply a matter of how lucky you feel at any given time..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:36   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
We got blown out of Stillwater Cove in a gale, and decided to up anchor at 0200h and head south for Morro Bay. Spent the entire next day surfing 14' swells with just the storm jib. When we got close to MB the following night, the Coast Guard issued a pan-pan saying that the harbor bar was breaking and that they'd closed the harbor.

Turning into Port of San Luis we had the same experience as the OP. Fog lifted right at the moment we entered the channel. Most glorious stars I ever saw.
I have always thought that Port San Luis is/was one of the best harbors on the Central Coast if one wants to keep a boat on a mooring. I don't know whether it is still there but there used to be a restaurant on the Pier, the Old Port Inn ("OPI"), that made the most incredible Clam Chowder and Oyster Stew. One of our neighbor's worked there and she'd occassonally bring home a couple of paper tubs of the "left overs" at the end of her shift as they were going to discard it anyway so gave it to the staff. Of couse, coming from the bottom of the pot it was invariably loaded with Clams/Oysters etc. Loved the stuff. The OPI really made sailing out of Port San Luis a treat at the end of the day.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:42   #20

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Reminds me when you, Robert and I brought "Faiaoahe" into Moss Landing in the fog with your handheld GPS.
Your Faiaoahe was (still is) a great boat. Fun times! Aargh?