Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2018, 13:32   #16

Boat: Colvic Countess 33
Re: Old Sailor Wisdom and getting the exact problem I was trying to avoid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Whitney View Post
Yea. Since I didn't die, she was ready to send me to "sleep with the fishes" herself. It was a challenge to get her out the next morning in the dingy/back on the horse. And the Lanyard was tight around my wrist.

A quote from the next boat in the marina "sailing can be the most boring moment immediately followed by the most death-defying." Which was that my experience that afternoon. Dead calm in the anchorage and we were back at the boat after the test ride was finished. Another boat approached later saying they started to capture it on a cell phone video but was worried about the ending and didn't.

Likely it was worse for the onlookers than me. Although my hair is a bit whiter if thats possible.

Thanks for opening the confessional.
You know the funny thing I learned from age? I expected to grow wiser as I aged. Instead I find myself older and still being as dumb as a door knob sometimes. I do remember an occasion I looked at an engine losing a "bit" of Oil and said, "We'll be fine, its just 28 Nautical miles around the coast and we have plenty of oil should we need it". Perfect weather, perfect seas perfect forecast. ( IMPERFECT CAPTAIN )
Katabatic winds and a small Atlantic storm turned it all into a death trap within an hour of those words. Then the coast line starts to lose temperature and just adds to the beauty of the all thing. Never really expected to make it out. Believe it or not it was the first time I even saw not one but 2 waterspouts. I would have loved to have seen it all on TV. I got my few grey hairs that day.

I still ask myself why did I go out that day and I cannot really fault any decision except the fact that I should have had the Engine dude come to us instead of going to him.
SVOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 14:12   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOddity View Post
You know the funny thing I learned from age? I expected to grow wiser as I aged. Instead I find myself older and still being as dumb as a door knob sometimes. I do remember an occasion I looked at an engine losing a "bit" of Oil and said, "We'll be fine, its just 28 Nautical miles around the coast and we have plenty of oil should we need it". Perfect weather, perfect seas perfect forecast. ( IMPERFECT CAPTAIN )
Katabatic winds and a small Atlantic storm turned it all into a death trap within an hour of those words. Then the coast line starts to lose temperature and just adds to the beauty of the all thing. Never really expected to make it out. Believe it or not it was the first time I even saw not one but 2 waterspouts. I would have loved to have seen it all on TV. I got my few grey hairs that day.

I still ask myself why did I go out that day and I cannot really fault any decision except the fact that I should have had the Engine dude come to us instead of going to him.
Good post!

Thanks for sharing your signs of wisdom, and humor.
I enjoy your writing.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 14:41   #18

Boat: Colvic Countess 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
Good post!

Thanks for sharing your signs of wisdom, and humor.
I enjoy your writing.
Dunno about the wisdom... But thank you
SVOddity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 13:17   #19

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

you're a couple of champions, mate! I had a really good laugh along with you watching your vid - I've had a few equally (retrospectively funny) dire incidents - I wish I'd had your sense of humour at the time. FWIW - first time i took my brand new dink engine (yamaha) out for a tryout, didnt even get started - the rubber seal on the petrol tank cap almost dissolved as soon as it came into contact with petrol - I literally couldnt believe my eyes - I had to go and find some nitrile rubber and cut one out by hand.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail