Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 20:23   #46
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It's a shame you feel you have to thumb your nose at the very people who were concerned about your well being. As I typed before there are those who leave with limited experience, and have real problems. Sometimes the loss of life, or boat if not both........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 21:05   #47

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
It seems we maybe just talking to ourselves. Jeff has been on board since Aug. 23rd.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:35   #48
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
It seems we maybe just talking to ourselves. Jeff has been on board since Aug. 23rd.
That's not unusual for me......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40   #49
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Or 99% of solo sailors......

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:35   #50

I found this a bit irritating. The point seems to be see I am doing it. Okay. Should any particular person do something? Their choice. No-one knows the ultimate outcome of any life choice, and at the end of the day nor do others care.
One might suggest various steps that might be prudent to take.
However having it on your chest that some doubted one's "worthiness" to undertake a venture, a point I doubt, suggests a confusion between worthiness, and prudent development of capability, and in the final analysis that one's life choices are for the chooser.
When opinions are sought one might hope most will remain prudent helpful and thoughtful. The issue of go now or later is irrelevant. Ok the poster is on his way. Guess the sun will come up and go down and I will have a sundowner before dinner.
chris_gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 19:52   #51

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
Part of solo sailing is that you may not return. If it were any other way we wouldn't do it. Us against the Mother (nature), love it. Prepare and go to it.

If they knew why I sailed they wouldn't let me do it.
Old 03-12-2010, 19:55   #52

Boat: Camano Troll 31'
"A simple test to see if your Mission on Earth is over.. if your still alive.. it isn't.... SKYPE: Phil.Jahans"

If you can read this you ain't done........ But who knows???
Old 03-12-2010, 19:58   #53
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1500 View Post
Part of solo sailing is that you may not return. If it were any other way we wouldn't do it. Us against the Mother (nature), love it. Prepare and go to it.

If they knew why I sailed they wouldn't let me do it.
LOLLMAOROFLMAO. ... So So True

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-12-2010, 20:03   #54

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Talking to yourself is pretty normal.
Arguing with yourself is maybe a bit less common.
Always losing the argument... now maybe we begin to worry about you.
Old 03-12-2010, 23:58   #55

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Interesting thread. There are all kinds of people with all kinds of opinions about this. I think if a person is physically fit, has normal intelligence and has a good handle on carpentry, plumbing, electrical and mechanical stuff, he/she should be capable of successfully live and cruise on a sail boat.
I myself don't have a lot of sailing experience, but at 60 yrs old have been around a lot with a good backround in the skilled trades. I learned to fly and ran 48 states for several years with a truck I bought. Tired of that life and bought a 40' ketch. Done about everything else and seen the whole country a bunch of times, so time for something else.
Can I do it? I figure if Christopher Columbus, 500 years ago with the rickety boats that he had, no electronics or conveniences, livestock on board (I've read) and not a real good idea if they were going to sail off the edge of the earth or be eaten by sea monsters could sail across the Atlantic, then I, with a well designed, proven boat with nav. equipment, weather forecasts and all the other advantages developed over five hundred years ought to be capable. Sure there are risks, but one has to accept this. Comes with the territory.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:08   #56
CLOD

Boat: none
Reading though the thread...............I think we are just agruing with ourselves.

4 pages of posts on a CF attack thread where the OP isn't really an active member and who basically says he doesn't care about CF advise.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:45   #57

Send a message via Yahoo to davegnvl
another noobie setting out

This is an interesting thread. My wife and I first set foot on a sail boat a little over 2 years ago. We took ASA sailing courses, bought a small boat to practice and then this spring bought a Beneteau 423. We spent the summer and up to now getting her ready with upgraded systems, selling (or giving away to kids) all our 'stuff' - unfortunately haven't sold the house yet, and getting more practice in. We are now ready to head out and start cruising the Florida Keys and Bahamas - planning on leaving in about 10 days.

These forums are invaluable for good practical advice - things I'd not have thought about before needing them.

The most amazing thing about the 'lifestyle' that we've already experienced with living aboard the past 3 months is the people. The other sailors at the marina are wonderful sources of help, advice, and more stories than I can keep track of. When a new boat arrives from a long trip, they are greeted and welcomed to the community - and more stories roll out. Even though we haven't traveled far yet, we're in love with what we're doing and look forward to the next stage. I know we'll keep in touch with many of these new friends.
davegnvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 06:51   #58
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Reading though the thread...............I think we are just agruing with ourselves.

4 pages of posts on a CF attack thread where the OP isn't really an active member and who basically says he doesn't care about CF advise.
True Don... True..
But you must admit we're having great fun doing it... and some good stuff being chucked about that may be useful to someone...
I love threads like this... so many variables.. dry and 'techy' all the time would have many of us becoming 'inactive members' till we wanted something...

For many this is an Island where one can find kindred spirits tuned into our wave lengths with whom we can forge a bond of common experiences and trials... blood and sweat spilled in our battles against nature and civilization.. each in their own way trying to break us and claw us to their bosom..

For the rest its a great place to 'Shoot the Breeze..'

Old 10-01-2011, 07:07   #59

against all odds

Im new to forum, but this is topic a lot of hav dealt with, other peoples opinions can contribute to the way some folks live there lives, Iv always been been the type to live my life as i chose to, and would not have had the fullfillig experiences if i had always did what others thought i shoud do, when wife and i decided to sell all and convert a bus to live in and headed out west, spent 3 years living off the grid in Az. desert, was great. I had joined the rv forums and remember one particular fellows adamant views on this type of life, he was advising newbeis that to live like this, would be the nessesty of newer rig, min. of 250.000 in bank plus a substantial income like pension, ira. It made me think twice for a few moments then realized he was talking about his life not mine, we left with a 1966 GMC bus conversion, 5000 bucks and had a Great excpierence, Dont let others tell you it cant be done,if you have dtermination, and faith in yourself you can climb mountains. look at Minoru Saito Randy
Elbandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 20:05   #60

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia
I remember my sailing instructor: "better be at the dock sorry not to be out at sea than being out at sea sorry not to be at the dock".
I'm new here. I'm new to sailing, having sailing for only 30 years now (started very young), but only recently on salt water (was sailing on one of the Great Lakes). I still have so much to learn... Finally got a nice 40ft that I keep in the Antilles, with plans to "go" in 3 years. I'm getting the boat, my first mate and myself ready. Seriously, maybe I'm slow, maybe my IQ is deficient, but IMHO, I'd never tell anybody to go without significant sailing experience. What's the rush? Why not take a year or 2 in the Bahamas? then go island hoping, another year or 2, till you hit Grenada, till you get a taste of what real weather is, till you test your skills and will...
My 2 cents...
Otia is offline   Reply With Quote