Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2016, 02:56   #211

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: Zika and adult brain damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Now they are saying 1 in 4 Puerto Ricans will be infected by next year, and the entire population within five years. Doomed population. Essentially the long awaited pandemic that culls the global population is at hand.

Interestingly, I am here is Fajardo, Puerto Rico right now. I have talked to several locals about Zika and no one seems overly concerned and said that they do not know anyone, personally, that has had it. I was shocked the young women I talked to were not more concerned. Two servers at a local resort reported that Zika has had a big impact on tourism however, especially with big conventions pulling out -- at a cost of over a million dollars this year they reported. I know my husband I are certainly taking it seriously.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 03:52   #212
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mosquitos have been in the Med for as long as I can remember.. and that goes back to the 60's...
As for the Puerto Ricans.. if you have to live with something it becomes a part of life..
Its only 'Shock.. Horror..!!' To the part timer fly in fly out brigade.
When I lived in Pakistan the Americans working on the Mangla Dam project were a source of great amusement with their 'Mozzie Defence's'..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 05:15   #213

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mosquitos have been in the Med for as long as I can remember.. and that goes back to the 60's...
If you have not noted an increase on the last 15 years probably you are not very affected by mosquitos. The tolerance diferes with different people and mosquitos prefere some people's blood to others. I know, they love me as much as I hate them

"In Europe, both species are gradually building up a presence in the Mediterranean, especially in Italy and Greece. But Hay predicts that before long, they’ll reach regions where they’ve not been widely recorded yet – including western Spain, Portugal and the Balkans.

Next, Hay hopes to project where the species will head as temperatures increase through global warming. “I would expect them to reach more northerly parts of France and southern Germany,” he says
."
https://www.newscientist.com/article...ying-diseases/

It has not only to do with temperature with the absence of rain fall, that is a determinant factor for expansion of mosquitos. This summer was the driest since 1988.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 05:17   #214

People in third world countries don't worry about this sort of thing as much as we do because they have other things to worry about. When half the people in your country aren't sure how they're going to come up with next weeks grocery money, do you really expect them to worry about what might happen if they get bit by a mosquito?

As for this being the pandemic that will cull the global population, as I recall, back in the mid-80s they were saying the same thing about AIDS. It was going to kill off half of the people in the world by... what was it? about the year 2000? Yeah. That didn't happen. I don't see this causing any serious population decline either. I suppose it is possible, but I remain highly skeptical.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 07:00   #215

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
One of the problems with the disinformation about Zika is the spread of news and stories by non specialized press, sensationalist newspapers and non credible or doubtful supposedly scientific magazines.

The truth is that on the last months the the scientific community as come with some indisputable evidence that Zika can grow and spread in adult brains. The research is limited yet to rat brains. Studies are going on to know if this will result in permanent damage or not.
Zika infection may affect adult brain cells, suggesting risk may not be limited to pregnant women | La Jolla Institute For Allergy and Immunology

Even more recent studies, published just some days ago, reveal more worrying news: "Zika virus infection leads to epigenetic modifications of both the virus and human RNA molecules, leading to changes in viral replication and the human immune response"

And this seems permanent damage to me.

Also some worrying news about the virus propagation and the possible sexual transmission:
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...e/Zika-Update/

The US wealth department is not taking the results of medical and biological research as light as some here and expensive prevention measures are being taken:

"Considering the threat in Florida and elsewhere in the U.S., the CDC last week (October 19) announced some $70 million in funding for efforts to stop the spread of Zika virus, including surveillance programs and improved mosquito control, and to monitor Zika-exposed pregnant women and their infants. The deadline for applications is November 20."

But off course, I am prejudiced on this subject: I just hate mosquitos

The truth is that even in Europe the general spread of Mosquitos is a reality that we can find on the med countries with special incidence on Italy and Greece. Many serious diseases can be spread by mosquitos and the traditional zone where one is exposed to those diseases is not only the "old" one:

Now, besides South met countries, the South of US are on the risk region and with the climatic changes, it will be spreading even more.

Not to be alarmed with it, but to be aware of it.
One simple look st that world map by a 12 year old child in homeschooled environment will tell you gee look all those redish areas have grave sanitation and nutritional (food) issues . Gee perhaps there might be some correlation ?

Methinks the adult brain damage is caused by watching and listening to cdc and the rest of govt agencies , And anybody who can edit wikipedia at will with zero credentials . Bottom line as indicated, vaccine pushers and chemical manu still frantically looking for proof or inventing lies topoisonus further worldwide.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:45   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
One simple look st that world map by a 12 year old child in homeschooled environment will tell you gee look all those redish areas have grave sanitation and nutritional (food) issues . Gee perhaps there might be some correlation ?

Methinks the adult brain damage is caused by watching and listening to cdc and the rest of govt agencies , And anybody who can edit wikipedia at will with zero credentials . Bottom line as indicated, vaccine pushers and chemical manu still frantically looking for proof or inventing lies topoisonus further worldwide.
It seems you don't know but Mosquitos were already there in the XV century. At that time African population was quite low and nature was mostly as it was before men changed things and even so the first European explorers had a frightening death rate due to diseases, mostly Malaria and Dengue. No sanitation problem whatsoever.

It is well register on the pages of the log books of the first explorers that circumnavigated Africa. I remember a story of a ship that stayed on an African river with provisions while two others continued the exploration of the coast. When they got back, several months later, they found the full crew reduced to a single men, having all the others died of malaria. Case you don't know malaria is a disease induced by a mosquito bite.

You should research more. The internet is a good way if you can separate the garbage from the information provided by science papers and information provided by science magazines. That is what I have done. Don't take for face value what you read on newspapers, specially if they are sensationalist ones.
Old 31-10-2016, 08:51   #217

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
People in third world countries don't worry about this sort of thing as much as we do because they have other things to worry about. When half the people in your country aren't sure how they're going to come up with next weeks grocery money, do you really expect them to worry about what might happen if they get bit by a mosquito?

As for this being the pandemic that will cull the global population, as I recall, back in the mid-80s they were saying the same thing about AIDS. It was going to kill off half of the people in the world by... what was it? about the year 2000? Yeah. That didn't happen. I don't see this causing any serious population decline either. I suppose it is possible, but I remain highly skeptical.
It can be Pandemic and not deadly. There are no evidence whatsoever, even with rats, that infected brains lead to death. In fact the experience showed that only some areas of the brain were affected.

Probably what you would get is persons with problems, more dysfunctional human beings....I agree, it would hard to tell the diference...lots of those already
Old 31-10-2016, 18:59   #218

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
It seems you don't know but Mosquitos were already there in the XV century. At that time African population was quite low and nature was mostly as it was before men changed things and even so the first European explorers had a frightening death rate due to diseases, mostly Malaria and Dengue. No sanitation problem whatsoever.

It is well register on the pages of the log books of the first explorers that circumnavigated Africa. I remember a story of a ship that stayed on an African river with provisions while two others continued the exploration of the coast. When they got back, several months later, they found the full crew reduced to a single men, having all the others died of malaria. Case you don't know malaria is a disease induced by a mosquito bite.

You should research more. The internet is a good way if you can separate the garbage from the information provided by science papers and information provided by science magazines. That is what I have done. Don't take for face value what you read on newspapers, specially if they are sensationalist ones.
You remember a story .....
and I should do what ?
Im doing just fine with my sources .
How was malaria controlled finally at the building of the canal at Panama ? Not vaccines and Dow chemicals....
Thanks for your astute info .
Ill be just fine . Thank you tho .👍
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 19:20   #219

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
It has not only to do with temperature with the absence of rain fall, that is a determinant factor for expansion of mosquitos. This summer was the driest since 1988.
So how come the worst time of year for mosquitoes in the tropics is the wet season?

They need stagnant water to breed. The drier it is the less breeding grounds they have.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 20:13   #220

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Varieties of mosquitoes, that were once regional, have been spread around the world by ocean shipping. The worldwide trade in used tires was one of the ways they were spread. Certainly the most deadly insect on earth but they also spread painful, debilitating diseases that are often not deadly.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 05:17   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
So how come the worst time of year for mosquitoes in the tropics is the wet season?

They need stagnant water to breed. The drier it is the less breeding grounds they have.
It depends on species. From a study on the wetlands of med Spain:

"Weekly temperatures were related to seasonal abundance patterns in Cx. pipiens and Oc. caspius, while accumulated temperatures (1–4 weeks before) were positively related to Cx. modestus and Cx. perexiguus abundances. These results are consistent with previous studies in USA, South Africa and Russia that link high summer temperatures to great vector abundance and WNV outbreaks"
Old 01-11-2016, 06:32   #222

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
It depends on species. From a study on the wetlands of med Spain:

"Weekly temperatures were related to seasonal abundance patterns in Cx. pipiens and Oc. caspius, while accumulated temperatures (1–4 weeks before) were positively related to Cx. modestus and Cx. perexiguus abundances. These results are consistent with previous studies in USA, South Africa and Russia that link high summer temperatures to great vector abundance and WNV outbreaks"
That doesn't answer the question.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:55   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That doesn't answer the question.
From the same scientific study:

"Previous studies have concluded that high temperatures and high rainfall are positively related to mosquito abundance; even so, in some cases mosquito abundance peaks are known to be preceded by periods of drought..."
Within-season abundance patterns were related to climatic variables (i.e. temperature, rainfall, tide heights, relative humidity and photoperiod) that varied according to the mosquito species in question. Rainfall during winter months was positively related to Culex pipiens and Ochlerotatus detritus annual abundances. Annual maximum temperatures were non-linearly related to annual Cx. pipiens abundance, while annual mean temperatures were positively related to annual Ochlerotatus caspius abundance."

So as I said before, it depends on the species. If there is actually more mosquitos on the tropics on the rain season is because it is that the dominant species is one adapted to high humidity even if I doubt it is correct to assume that happens on all the tropics the same way.

I was not talking about the tropics but about the increase on the med. Higher mean and maximum temperatures are related with the increase of at least two species : Ochlerotatus caspius and Cx. pipiens. Those are the two species more common on the med and the ones that are mostly increasing.

I hope it is clear now!!!!