Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2009, 20:37   #751

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
My understanding of the ColReg light section is that if you are under power, you need a white mast light. Pink Lady was under sail, and as such only showed the green. The watch officer on Silver Yang stated thats what he saw. I would also think that from his position up on the bridge, he'd be looking down at a pretty decent angle so it should seem obvious that this target is a yacht under sail.

But then I'm not a lawyer. She should have been awake.

Sabre
44 days n a wake up.
Old 21-10-2009, 22:43   #752

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Has it been confirmed that she was under sail ?

I have only seem excerpts of the final report but a comment on this forum made me go take several looks at the post-crash pictures and it looks like she may have not had her sails raised at the time of impact.

If you look carefully it seems as if the sail part-way up the mast is actually a furled headsail. Likewise, it seems incredibly unlikely that she somehow got the main down (out of its track) after the mast was broken, yet it is flaked over the boom.

The spin and the outright defamation of the Silver Yang's captain by her father makes me think it is also possible that her status as a vessel under sail is in question.

-Sven
Old 22-10-2009, 05:07   #753

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I agree with Erika that its ALL kiddies that I think should be banned from these things. Find an appropriate age, say 18, as was most recommended in our age poll. But 16, 15 and 13 are thought the same in my mind, and heaven forbid it go down to 10 year olds.

The bit I don't agree with Erika and others wishing 'godspeed' etc (I'm not religious so I don't really know what it means) but I would hope that she does have a calamity (or relevation) that can force her home safely and without harm as soon as possable.

Its not a particular person that I am against its the ever decreasing age required to do it. I just don't think a person in their formative years needs a southern ocean winter crossing by themselves where there is utterly no chance of turning around and calling it off when the going gets too tough.

Mark
PS I might be negative here on this subject, but I have plenty of positive contributions to other threads.... I am not just a nay-sayer in all!

Godspeed [ˈgɒdˈspiːd]
interj & n an expression of one's good wishes for a person's success and safety [from God spede may God prosper (you)]

I agree with you disagreeing with me
I hear ya MarkJ, I feel a bit of a hypocrte (sigh) but what else is there to do? I hope she will reach the equator and keep going RTW the smart way, and again, to hell with the record. And yes, as "No go jessica" we have been branded as nay-sayers and armchair sailors...thats the life of a rebel, always misunderstood
Old 22-10-2009, 05:50   #754
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
I have only seem excerpts of the final report but a comment on this forum made me go take several looks at the post-crash pictures and it looks like she may have not had her sails raised at the time of impact.
-Sven
I dont know what you are basing your deduction on the but the opening paragraphs of the ATSB report indicate the vessel was under sail.

So yep - Apparently under sail.
Old 22-10-2009, 06:21   #755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I dont know what you are basing your deduction on the
As I stated, looking at the pictures.

-Sven
Old 22-10-2009, 06:37   #756

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
As I stated, looking at the pictures.

-Sven
I dont see it that way looks like the sails were up.
Unless she hoisted and un furled them after the mast collapsed to cover up that she wasn't under sail
I think she did a great job getting that mess under control.
Jessica Watson Warned to Call off Sailing Trip « Sailboats and Sailing the World
Old 22-10-2009, 07:08   #757

If she had the sails up, how did she get the main down, out of the track past the break ? The main is flaked on the boom after the accident, it is not in the track on the mast. The sail that is part way up the mast looks like a dropped furled headsail.

It would be interesting to know if the report was simply based on her claim that she was under sail.

-Sven
Old 22-10-2009, 07:14   #758

looking at the picture from this link it looks like the sail is draped around the boom and the sail is out as you look fwd of the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jessica-watson-boat.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	10645  
Old 22-10-2009, 07:32   #759

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
looking at the picture from this link it looks like the sail is draped around the boom and the sail is out as you look fwd of the mast.
The other pictures are a lot better (in my opinion) at showing where the sails are. The one you are showing doesn't make it as clear that the top of the sail by the mast looks like the head of a sail, not the main. If it is the head of a main sail how did it get down there past the break in the mast ?

-Sven
Old 22-10-2009, 07:58   #760

Quote:
The other pictures are a lot better (in my opinion) at showing where the sails are. The one you are showing doesn't make it as clear that the top of the sail by the mast looks like the head of a sail, not the main. If it is the head of a main sail how did it get down there past the break in the mast ?

-Sven
hmm got a point there looking at the other pictures. looks like a full batten main so no furler on the main. maybe she was sailing bare poles?
uhh think your right after looking closer.
Old 22-10-2009, 08:20   #761
Armchair Bucketeer

I am kinda hoping that one of the next "youngest" sailors picks a multihull
Old 22-10-2009, 08:51   #762
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Guess I didn't look that carefully at the post-collision pix until now. I think Sven is on to something. With the mast snapped in half, she'd never have gotten the main down. And the genny looks a little too carefully furled and secured. Something is fishy.
Old 22-10-2009, 09:23   #763

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Guess I didn't look that carefully at the post-collision pix until now. I think Sven is on to something. With the mast snapped in half, she'd never have gotten the main down. And the genny looks a little too carefully furled and secured. Something is fishy.
Another explanation could be that she cut the mainsail from the upper part of the mast prior to discarding the mast.

I may have missed something in the previous 50 pages of speculation and accusation, but what was her sail configuration just prior to the collision and what were her actions to recover from the collision and to clear the deck and area around her boat so she could motor?

It's rather impressive that at age of sixteen, she had the presence of mind to recover not only her mental state but regain the operation of her boat. Many adults would just sit there in a puddle of hopelessness until someone arrived to take charge.
Old 22-10-2009, 09:45   #764
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Admittedly, this is pure speculation. But let's imagine what happened:

First, click on the photo in this link for an enlargement: Google Image Result for http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200909/r432950_2075539.jpg

Sails up, sailing along, conditions benign, no reefs.

Mast snaps at or about the spreader. Top half crashes down. Main is now half on the bottom, half (upside down) on the top half of the severed mast. It doesn't look like the top half of the mast actually went overboard from the photo, so she probably was able to secure it more or less where it fell.

She cuts the halyard at the masthead. Now how does she work the top half of the main out and down the slot on the bottom half of the mast? Not saying it's impossible, but I would think it would be extremely difficult.
Old 22-10-2009, 11:54   #765

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Unreal

WoW..

Are you all real sailors or what.. Here is a kid with far more courage than most of you have combined. All you can do is squabble about her mishap.. Was she at fault at this point WHO CARES??? She is alive and learned from her mistake and so has her team.. Look at what they have installed since then... This person is out there trying to accomplish something only a very few have done,,and here you sit babbling about stupid ********...

Why not wish her well and Lift her spirits for in the near future she will need all the help when the weather turns on her and it will.. I thought sailors helped and encouraged one another throughout thick and thin..

And yes i have sailed accross the Atlantic,,Sea of Cortez round Cabo up to San Diego.. San Diego to Hawaii..

So i for one encourage her and admire her.. She has the best team keeping a watch for her and helping her in every move she makes..

Come on Sailors!!!!!!!!!!!! If you have sailed on the waters she is on tell her your thoughts and what to watch out for... Not how she made a mistake 3-4 weeks ago and should give up,,, would you and your team do the same... I dont think so!!!!!!!!!!!! or you wouldnt be a true sailor.... Period ...
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson