Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2009, 00:02   #331

Boat: Norseman 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Looks like her family have attained their primary goal - huge publicity ...

b.
As I know Jessica and her family due to being neighbours in the same Marina for a few months I dont think huge publicity is or was their primary goal, rather they are being supportive of a highly motivated young woman who I'm sure regrets the unfortunate incident at such an early stage and will surely have learn't a very valuable lesson and will be much stronger for it
Old 27-09-2009, 02:01   #332
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
When the girl, Jessica hit the freighter, she was in the vicinity of a port (Brisbane) at a distance of 15 miles and did not keep a lookout according to the first reports. So, who is to blame in this case
Actually she was in international waters and the port of Brisbane was on the other side of a bloody big island and a reasonable size bay (Morton Bay).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
I put it up for the highlighted comment

Have a look at the picture and tell me which side she scraped?
The error was obvious but who made it? Jessica or the MSQ. Did Jessica incorrectly state "port to port" or did MSQ stuff up the report.

Hmm....my GUESS is the government got it wrong
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 27-09-2009, 03:38   #333
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
It would appear that the MSq also substantially breached the provisions of the Information Privacy Act. Particularly in relation to documents that were generated by Jessica.
Old 27-09-2009, 04:07   #334

Boat: 33ft sloop
Jessica sails a boat fairly equipped to manage this voyage. What nerves me is the fact that a reliable report about this incident apparently does not exist.
Otherwise, we could stop making comments and/or suppositions.

Her blunder of the 1st category gives a clear indication of her "butterfly" attitude. The fact that there is no clear report will not make her more believable.
Old 27-09-2009, 06:02   #335
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
It would appear that the MSq also substantially breached the provisions of the Information Privacy Act. Particularly in relation to documents that were generated by Jessica.
The Queensland Government has made a commitment to provide access to information held by the Government, unless on balance it is contrary to the public interest to provide that information.

How so?

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...09/09AC013.pdf

http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...09/09AC014.pdf

Old 27-09-2009, 06:11   #336
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Its not their information Gord, they don't own it, any information they collect from a private individual they must keep private. Very clear case in my view. Indeed pursuant to the Transport Operations (Marine Safety) act the inspectors, and indeed others, all become informed persons. They are obliged to maintain a individuals private material.
Old 27-09-2009, 06:35   #337

It is not a grant article as published in the Courier Mail. It certainly points out the official view on her targeted voyage, but it reveals very little of what exactly has happened.
In any case it proofs she has no proficient experience in ship's communication. Not knowing that checking with the bulkcarrier in an early stage could have informed her about course and speed of the carrier. She could have informed them about her course and learning fromthem if they were on a collision course yes or no.
Is there no AIS down there?
Old 27-09-2009, 07:06   #338

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Just more fill . . . Isn't Jessica trying for a different record than the UK boy? He was the same age - started at 16y.o. and finished as 17y.o.
>>>>
LONDON - A 17-year-old Briton has become the youngest person to circumnavigate the world solo with assistance. . .
Mike set sail from Portsmouth, Hampshire, on November 15, 2008 and celebrated his 17th birthday in the South Indian Ocean on March 16.
The teenager braved 50ft waves, gale, stormy winds and various other technical difficulties to successfully complete the 30,000-mile challenge.e crossed Portugal, the Canaries, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand during the voyage.
He also travelled across the Panama Canal on his trip.
The adventure freak, who is also the youngest person to cross the Atlantic Ocean at 14, crossed the equator and every longitudinal line to set up the world record.<<<<<<
- - Also I was wondering about the photos of Jessica's boat showing all that metal "arch" work on her stern. It seems awful flimsy and vulnerable to boarding waves over the stern. Seems that the southern ocean and a breaking wave would easily strip all that stuff off the stern. Don't the professional racers mount the equipment differently?
- - Here is Mike's story: http://yachtpals.com/mike-perham-7014
Great photos. (on the silly side) Jessica needs to ask Mike for a dental referral)
- - And a great discussion by Mike on "too young?"
http://yachtpals.com/youngest-sailing-7013
Old 27-09-2009, 07:49   #339

An ocean trench of difference between the two. Mike crossed as kind of trial the Atlantic, his father following him in his wake, so to speak.....
Next: they chartered for the 'real thing' an Open 50, an entire different "beast" than Jessica's 34 S&S.......

Not comparable nor compatible........
Old 27-09-2009, 07:50   #340

Boat: Jason 35
"Hopefully though we won't need to legislate common sense (never works anyway)."

Well said, Zednotzee.
Old 27-09-2009, 08:15   #341

Boat: Adams 13 (43ft) Xyris
Go Jessica

I've been following Jessica's story since my wife pointed out that some young fool hardy kid was going to sail solo around the world in a few months. At that time I was sceptical and gave her no hope of getting off the ground let alone success. She had no sponsors, nor even a boat and was simply too young to undertake a challenge in the league of the Chichester’s of yesteryear.

Let’s look at her achievement before even starting the challenge. These are tough times, she has secured a sponsor (in fact quite a few of them) been given a boat by someone who understands sailing, and challenges, and impressed enough people to put this dream into reality! That’s an accomplishment in its own right. How many knockers out there could convince a bunch of hard pressed corporate bosses struggling in these tough economic times to give them a boat and the sponsorship necessary to sail around the world? I don’t think even with a good track record that too many of us could! I have two wonderful daughters for whom I have enormous respect but neither of them could have got to this start line even with a few miracles thrown in at age 16. I have a huge amount of respect for a young lady with a dream and the guts to give it a go. Good on her.

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Jessica at Mooloolaba a month or so ago and from what I saw Pink Lady she was sensibly set up with a very short rig and all the mod cons to make the trip manageable by a petite young lady and a success. She also came across as a typical sixteen year old but with courage and determination if not a wealth of sailing experience.

I hate bad reporting and to put the record straight… the round the world attempt had not started yet. It was a shake down cruise to get things working right and to trial systems before the start of the record attempt from Sydney later in the month. So it could not have ended on the first night because it wasn’t due to start for a few weeks yet.

In her defence any time two vessels collide it takes at least two operators to make an error. I haven’t even heard the name of the ships captain has he been de-commission because of the error? As a sailor who started this insane practice in the 70’s I have made some mistakes as most of us have. We have learnt from these errors and I would like to think I don’t repeat mistakes. Let’s give her a go and suggest it’s possible she was human and has learnt from that event too.

I believe that the passage from Mooloolaba to Sydney was a trial to give her a feel for what was to come. So when trialling anything, things are expected to go wrong so that refinements can be made. And let’s not forget that the trials are for equipment and people and she has no doubt learnt a lot from the experience.

I don’t believe this incident was planned but what a great way to find out how you react in an emergency in a relatively safe location with the support of everyone who was there for her. We have to look at the positives that must arise from any mishap and this one had the potential of raising her confidence levels, awareness requirements, and the incentive of not taking short cuts. This is experience of the most valuable kind and will help her become more proficient and respectful of what she is undertaking.

At an age when many of our youth are positively obnoxious, experimenting with booze and pills and proving that there is no guarantee for the continuity of our species. I think it’s refreshing to see a lovely young lady taking on an adventure of this scale. The results will be an inspiration to the youth of today and tomorrow regardless of the outcome. I think that to just have got so far past all the knockers and getting out there she is already a success.

A dear friend once said this to me,

If you think you can’t win, you won’t,
If you think you can’t succeed, you will fail,
Success was won by people who fought the knockers,
Success was the right of people who dared to dream,
You are what you believe you are.
You are the only who can determine if you will suceed.

Go Jessica, let Neptune watch over you and good luck.

Fabian
SV Xyris
Old 27-09-2009, 09:01   #342
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Its not their information Gord, they don't own it, any information they collect from a private individual they must keep private...
As a long-time officer of the law, you know that serious charges of wrong-doing should be specific, citing "chapter & verse".

1. Did Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ) write an official report, and did they release it to the public (if written)?
The Courier-Mail claims to have “obtained" a copy of the report”; which suggests (to me) an unauthorized “leak”. I can find no evidence of such an official report in the public record.

2. Did the report (?) Divulge confidential personal information?
I see none in the news article.

3. Would releasing accident reports, including the testimony of one party, be legal, in the public interest, and proper?
I see nothing in the applicable legislation that would suggest otherwise.
As previously linked:
Re disclosure ➥ http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...09/09AC013.pdf
Re Privacy ➥ http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LE...09/09AC014.pdf

Old 27-09-2009, 09:03   #343
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabian1956 View Post
... Let’s look at her achievement before even starting the challenge. These are tough times, she has secured a sponsor ...
Proving that she's photogenic, and she and/or her parents and/or their public relations firm are good salesmen.

Old 27-09-2009, 09:51   #344

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Proving that she's photogenic,
As long as she keeps her lips together.
Old 27-09-2009, 10:14   #345
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
As long as she keeps her lips together.
No worry - she'll grow into those teeth as (if) she matures towards adulthood.

Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson