Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2009, 06:39   #871

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt gay rum View Post
Two different situations.. First the ship was just in a collision then turned it off..(as to hide)
Please provide evidence that backs up that claim.

Quote:
Second on this occasion she had cleared Norfolk Island,, then im sure her team has scanned the satalite for any ship etc in the area
What does that mean ? Scanned what "satalite" ?

Quote:
Do you really think they want you to know exactly where she is????? you being the public..
It sure doesn't seem like it. Daniel Crowhurst pulled that stunt too.

Of course, if we don't know where she is we can't tell if she is circumnavigating at all or if she is meeting up with her "team" every now and then. Since there is no official record being sought there is nobody to certify that any of the sailing is taking place.

-Sven
Old 27-10-2009, 06:39   #872

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Good Point MarkJ
Old 27-10-2009, 06:50   #873

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - AIS is a "ship to ship" identification system using low wattage VHF transmitters. There has to be shore based "receiving stations" somewhere within range before a transmitted AIS signal will be displayed on anything other than another vessel with AIS. I cannot find any mention of any organization paying for "satellite reception" of AIS and then distributing it free on the internet. Satellite time is rather expensive, so any loss of her AIS signal on websites does not mean her AIS was turned off - She is just out of range of any non-vessel receiving station that is also linked to the internet. I am fairly confident that she will not turn her AIS off for any reason as it is a major aid for any AIS-equipped vessel attempting to "rescue" her should she need it.
Old 27-10-2009, 06:53   #874

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Seems you had already covered all my points ... I feel like an echo :-)

-Sven
Old 27-10-2009, 06:55   #875

Not even going there you figure it out... How do you think they are tracking her!!!!!

On another note my heart and prayers go out to Paul and Rachel Chandler missing off Coast of Somalia...
Old 27-10-2009, 07:00   #876

Boat: PETERSON 44
fiji triangle

Oh my god all the ships around FIJI have turned off their ais units
Attached Files
File Type: doc fiji triangle.doc (156.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 27-10-2009, 07:06   #877

Quote:
then im sure her team has scanned the satalite for any ship etc in the area and deceided in HER best interest and security (not so everyone can track her) to turn it off for now
Quote:
Not even going there you figure it out... How do you think they are tracking her!!!!!
So you are under the impression that they have a private satellite service tracking her and all surrounding traffic ? Got any pointers to where you got that idea ?

-Sven
Old 27-10-2009, 07:07   #878
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Oh my god all the ships around FIJI have turned off their ais units
LOL. You got me, there.

Even so, for US$150 they could do a SPOT on her. It seems quite silly to to not show her position.
Old 27-10-2009, 07:13   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
So you are under the impression that they have a private satellite service tracking her and all surrounding traffic ? Got any pointers to where you got that idea ?

-Sven
Nothing private Sven you have by far way more experience and forgoten more than i would ever know.. but seriously how do you think they are tracking her...All i am saying is that given the situation (female etc where she is heading,all the attention ete etc ) do you really think they are going to make it public information on her exact location.. In the relm of things you and I both know they have here exact location at any given time when needed. As far as a private satellite PLEASE...The people that NEED to know .... Know!!!!
Old 27-10-2009, 07:20   #880

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - Getting back to how her team is "tracking" her - it is old technology used by all the "official" round the world racing venues for more than a decade or two. She has a separate GPS/satellite module that send a simple location databurst to an established satellite system that tracks commercial ships for their owners. That is old technology - thanks to organized round the world racing - that is now being used by commercial shipping and even commercial trucks on land to allow their dispatchers to know where all their trucks are located at all times.
- - As to "scanning the satellite" for other ships - huh????? All of Google Earth's and others "maps" are still photographs collated into a map. Some are aerial photos, some are satellite photos taken anywhere up to a decade ago.
- - Satellites are expensive and nobody outside the military has access to "live" satellite feeds with the exception of weather satellites. You can purchase a quad-helical antenna, demodulator and receiving radio plus software to actually download live weather satellite signals and display them on your computer. But with satellite telephone data-links even that technology is rarely used anymore.
Old 27-10-2009, 07:24   #881

Osirissail excellent point,,, and for tracking other vessels in your area there are plenty of websites that will give you this information at any given area ,,aka via computer/satellite information..Then the Team can go to work and evaluating if there is a problem with a certain vessel. etc etc

So I'am sure they have a GOOD idea of surrounding vessels in here area and after what happened off Aus they are well equiped... First time Damn lucky,,

Some of you feel that you should be able to know all the intiment details at this point... would you expose this information ???
Old 27-10-2009, 07:36   #882
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
My point,,, and for tracking other vessels in your area there are plenty of websites that will give you this information at any given area ,,aka via computer/satellite information..

So I'am sure they have a GOOD idea of surrounding vessels in here area and after what happened off Aus they are well equiped... First time Damn lucky,,

Some of you feel that you should be able to know all the intiment details at this point... would you expose this information ???
Well, the family isn't saying it's a safety issue but a "privacy" one. It seems after the p.r. bonaza they launched that privacy would be the last of their concerns.

As for collision avoidance, now that she's away from the coast and presumably outside shipping lanes, the risk there is pretty negligible.
Old 27-10-2009, 07:48   #883

Step back for one second She has sponsors and at certain times its gonna be a P.R. Bonaza,,, this is how almost all adventures are funded at this level.. Again you would have to do the same if this was your adventure,,its called corporate exposure.. aka pays the bills.. But at other times information is kept within..

Guys all I am saying is you will be given information as needed,, we all want to know the latest updates and non published information but that isnt gonna happen..
Old 27-10-2009, 07:59   #884

Andrew Fraser reported...While her shore team is in contact with her and has precise position information to prevent news media from seeking out Ella's Pink Lady for photography or video enroute. "She just doesn't want to be annoyed with choppers and planes,"

Case in point!!!!!!!!!! and yes any tabloids etc would find a way to reach her...
Old 27-10-2009, 08:04   #885

Just as there are lingering questions about whether she was under power when she rammed the Silver Yang at 7 kts, there will be questions about why she needs to not be tracked when her only claim to fame is that her position is changing as she supposedly sails around the world, non-stop and un-assisted.

-Sven
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson