Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2009, 06:03   #601
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I think that is precisely the point - they are apples and oranges - a fully crewed boat hits a known charted object and a solo sailor hits a moving ship - that is precisely the point- I am not seeking to apportion blame in either case - just trying to understand how others are able to do that?
What is precisely the point is that we don't know yet what happened in the case of Short, et. al., as it is still being investigated. Given the fact that it was an experienced crew aboard, I'm guessing that none of us feel the urge to jump to any conclusions -- at least as it applies to apportioning blame.

In the case of Ms. Watson, it was immediately self-evident that she at least shared blame due to negligence (not keeping a proper watch in a shipping lane). This fact was then later confirmed by Australian authorities.
Old 13-10-2009, 07:01   #602
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's more info:

Dead maxi-yacht skipper Andrew Short was not wearing lifejacket | The Australian
Old 13-10-2009, 07:25   #603
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those who seem to want to use the tragic deaths of Andrew Short and Sally Gordon as somehow vindicating Ms. Watson's quest to get her name in the record books are overlooking a much more salient point. And that point is that if the ocean can so quickly claim the lives of mariners as experienced as Mr. Short and Ms. Gordon, how much greater is the danger for an inexperienced sailor such as Jessica Watson in a hostile environment like the Southern Ocean?

Keep in mind that a third crewman was swept overboard along with Mr. Short and Ms. Gordon, but the rest of the crew were able to save him. If Ms. Watson is sent over the side by her boom, who's going to rescue her?

The terrible irony that Andrew Short had just given Jessica a letter from Andrew Cape warning her of the dangers present in sailing, and was dead himself only hours later, cannot be lost on her (one would hope.)

TaoJones
Old 13-10-2009, 07:32   #604

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
For the Aussies reading - - maybe a decade or so ago the Australia government got tired of the professional "round the world" races wrecking or floundering at sea and the Aussie rescue ships would spend millions going out and rescuing these folks. So there was talk of charging a "bond" of a million dollars or something to offset the rescue costs. Is that still in effect?
- - Since Jessica, Inc. (Ltd.) is getting money, selling products, etc., her venture is a commercial operation and has she paid the bond? (if there is one) Just wondering.
Old 13-10-2009, 08:46   #605
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Those who seem to want to use the tragic deaths of Andrew Short and Sally Gordon as somehow vindicating Ms. Watson's quest to get her name in the record books are overlooking a much more salient point. And that point is that if the ocean can so quickly claim the lives of mariners as experienced as Mr. Short and Ms. Gordon, how much greater is the danger for an inexperienced sailor such as Jessica Watson in a hostile environment like the Southern Ocean?

Keep in mind that a third crewman was swept overboard along with Mr. Short and Ms. Gordon, but the rest of the crew were able to save him. If Ms. Watson is sent over the side by her boom, who's going to rescue her?

The terrible irony that Andrew Short had just given Jessica a letter from Andrew Cape warning her of the dangers present in sailing, and was dead himself only hours later, cannot be lost on her (one would hope.)

TaoJones
Yes, absolutely.
Old 13-10-2009, 11:49   #606

Boat: 33ft sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
For the Aussies reading - - maybe a decade or so ago the Australia government got tired of the professional "round the world" races wrecking or floundering at sea and the Aussie rescue ships would spend millions going out and rescuing these folks. So there was talk of charging a "bond" of a million dollars or something to offset the rescue costs. Is that still in effect?
- - Since Jessica, Inc. (Ltd.) is getting money, selling products, etc., her venture is a commercial operation and has she paid the bond? (if there is one) Just wondering.
I think they are in their absolute right.
Just remember the rescue of Isabelle Autissier and the way how she treated the rescuers afterward (verbally).
Old 13-10-2009, 12:48   #607
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
Just remember the rescue of Isabelle Autissier and the way how she treated the rescuers afterward (verbally).
I neither get your point (analogous to Jessica) nor recall what you may be referring to in regard to Autissier’s comments (perhaps the greatest female sail racer).

I do recall that weeks after being rescued (by one of her competitors, Giovanni Soldini of Italy) from the Southern seas (for the second time in her career) Isabelle Autissier had this to say about racing around the world alone:

"No more.… This has been my crazy job for 10 years. I had 10 wonderful years doing that, maybe the best years of my life - great adventures, great friends, great feelings. It has been a wonderful story for me. But now it's time to do something else."

Old 13-10-2009, 12:56   #608

Boat: 33ft sloop
It refers to the quotation.
About which rescue you are talking?

She received from the Australian Government a bill for her rescue, they had sent out a Frigate to catch her. The name of Soldini I did not see ikn this case.
Old 13-10-2009, 13:00   #609

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
My Hughes 38 is an S&S design,almost the same boat,and there is no way I would consider it suitable for the southern ocean.If she has real sponsors (in their right mind) they should at least provide her with a vessel capable of the route she(they?) has planned.This sounds like a suicide mission to me,don't get me wrong,with the right boat, I believe she could succeed.How many stories have we heard how cruel the Cape Horn area can be.
Old 13-10-2009, 13:35   #610
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
My Hughes 38 is an S&S design,almost the same boat,and there is no way I would consider it suitable for the southern ocean.If she has real sponsors (in their right mind) they should at least provide her with a vessel capable of the route she(they?) has planned.This sounds like a suicide mission to me,don't get me wrong,with the right boat, I believe she could succeed.How many stories have we heard how cruel the Cape Horn area can be.
I think you're right, highseas, and that is why I seriously doubt she will ever get her "cute" little pink boat wet in the Southern Ocean. If she actually manages to sail to the equator and makes the proposed loop around one of the islands in The Republic of Kiribati, I won't be surprised if she then abandons her attempt and sails directly back to Australia.

Actually completing the proposed record-breaking attempt will add little to her already-very-high profile. Even if she's "forced" to abandon the attempt, it will do nothing to detract from her image - it may even enhance it.

Hopefully, someone with powerful influence in her life, and a sincere concern for her well-being, will have already figured the above out.

TaoJones
Old 13-10-2009, 13:51   #611

Quote:
completing the proposed record-breaking attempt will add little to her already-very-high profile.
This thread is getting huge and is also primarily geared towards a discussion of whether she will fail or succeed. Not wanting to hijack, I started a different thread to explore just exactly what her proposal is. It seems a bit vague...

Edit: Bark's other thread is here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tly-31871.html
Old 13-10-2009, 16:06   #612
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Her boat is not the same boat as yours, The designer was S&S, the same as yours, but the build quality has proven extremely strong. These S&S 34 has been actively campaigned in all the major races around the world including the Fastnet and Sidney Hobart. They have proven more than adequate to handle everything the ocean can throw at them. The size of the cockpit is about the only thing that I'd change from my long distance perusal of the design.
Aloha
Peter O.
Old 13-10-2009, 16:29   #613
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Sigh.

I know I am just going to have to unsubscribe again... but;

vis a vis the recent death of the Shorts and Jessica's endeavor being compared. I feel the salient point here is the Shorts were experienced ADULTS whom made the decision understanding the risks involved and then went forward with their sailing plan.

When Jessica is an ADULT I feel confident she will be more than capable of assessing risks and making decisions and then attempting adventures on her own recognisance. Until then it is criminal neglience on the part of her parents to support and encourage this foolhardy solo excursion. in my opinion. barely.

This is not about risk and living or dying. it is about responsibility and negligence and foolishness. I don't hear anyone considering the Short's deaths foolhardy. Well except for the bit about no PFD on the Captain (but even that was his own personal risk)... It seems to be a general consensus of "Sailing, and racing in particular, is risky and they took a risk and lost the toss of the dice. How sad"

With Jessica I can only hope that the same god that watches out for fools and drunks will be watching out for her. Her parents sure aren't.

And please do not turn this into "You awful person wishing failure on poor Jessica, just a girl with a dream." I would never wish her to fail. But my common sense says she has a very good chance of failing and that makes me sad. I expect it will make her parents sad if it comes to that but it will be a bit too late at that point won't it?

I can't believe we are still talking about this... but we are. I wonder why...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 13-10-2009, 17:41   #614
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
What is precisely the point is that we don't know yet what happened in the case of Short, et. al., as it is still being investigated. Given the fact that it was an experienced crew aboard, I'm guessing that none of us feel the urge to jump to any conclusions -- at least as it applies to apportioning blame.

In the case of Ms. Watson, it was immediately self-evident that she at least shared blame due to negligence (not keeping a proper watch in a shipping lane). This fact was then later confirmed by Australian authorities.
I hadn't considered the point about apportioning blame; I believe it is self evident the rock wasn't at fault and it is (IMO) disrespectful to jump to other conclusions due to the deaths involved. I agree that let's wait for the facts to be presented.

Quote:
For my part, I am not arguing about JW and her record quest, rather that many (some?) believe she should somehow be prevented from sailing due to the dangers involved. For those who take the stand she should be prevented, doesn't the Shockwave deaths prove that the dangers are real and such dangers apply equally to very experienced sailors; therefore rationally experienced sailors should also be prevented from sailing. Why are they so silent - perhaps their JW arguments are based on emotions rather than logic.
Quote:

TaoJones
Agreed totally.

Quote:
AFAIK, it was only talk and perhaps not enforceable due to SOLAS requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseas View Post
As others have posted, the S&S 34 has proved itself many times in the Southern Ocean

Quote:
Actually completing the proposed record-breaking attempt will add little to her already-very-high profile. Even if she's "forced" to abandon the attempt, it will do nothing to detract from her image - it may even enhance it.
Very True, especially locally, Aussies love someone who gives it a go, we love an underdog and we love someone who is big enough to know when to call it quits.
Quote:
Hopefully, someone with powerful influence in her life, and a sincere concern for her well-being, will have already figured the above out.

TaoJones
Agreed, and we life in hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Sigh.

When Jessica is an ADULT I feel confident she will be more than capable of assessing risks and making decisions and then attempting adventures on her own recognisance. Until then it is criminal neglience on the part of her parents to support and encourage this foolhardy solo excursion. in my opinion. barely.
So I can follow this argument, just what is your personal definition of ADULT?

If she isn't an adult, I have to agree with your points; however if she is, then she has the same rights to follow her own sailing paths as any other sailor has - regardless of experience etc etc. We can discuss the relative merits of her or any others enterprise but not the rights to do so (IMO).

It would seem to me that she IS considered an adult by law (in Oz) but again, it comes down to definitions.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 13-10-2009, 18:06   #615

Quote:
This was discussed in the media, but I don't think it was ever put in place. Mariners in need of rescue in Aus waters are rescued free of charge. AFAIK, it's the same everywhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson