Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 06:07   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Strictly Sail Miami impressions

Went to opening trade day show yesterday. Glad I did but it's not the same as the last two shows. Lots of major dockside construction and I estimate 1/3 less manufacturers and boats.

Hunter is just showing the 31. Beneteau has everything except the Oceanis 41, actually the model I wanted to see. Jeanneau has the full lineup. Hake is there. Solana has the 41 and the 44. Hanse and Bavaria has 1 or 2 models. Island packet is no show. Catalina is showing the 38 and the 44(?). Be prepared for a number of empty slips and some ticketing confusion leftover from opening day.

Oh, and then there's the Maui-like Florida in February weather and the culture rich city of Miami framed by spectacular Biscayne Bay that is worth the trip in itself. I lived down here for 23 years and never enjoy it more than I do now as an occasional tourist.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 06:37   #2
cruiser

Re: Strictly Sail Miami impressions

Island Packet is a no show and Hunter is only showing one boat in their own back yards? That doesn't look good for those two domestic builders. I would have thought both of companies would have their entire line up there for inspection. Or, at the very least the flagship model of their fleet.

Boat shows sell boats. We sold our Hunter at a small boat show in Dana Point a few years ago, and purchased our Oyster as a result of attending the Newport, RI boat show. How do these two companies expect to sell any boats?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 07:07   #3

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

For gear and equipment only, how the Miami boat show compares with Annapolis?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 11:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Island Packet is a no show and Hunter is only showing one boat in their own back yards? That doesn't look good for those two domestic builders. I would have thought both of companies would have their entire line up there for inspection. Or, at the very least the flagship model of their fleet.

Boat shows sell boats. We sold our Hunter at a small boat show in Dana Point a few years ago, and purchased our Oyster as a result of attending the Newport, RI boat show. How do these two companies expect to sell any boats?

Interesting views Ken. I'd interpret this as a balance of builders opting out of Strictly Sail Miami venue due to one of three variables: (1) they knew the construction would dampen the venue, (2) the booming economy = why spend precious capital on promo when their build list is growing, and (3) loss of confidence generally with the Strictly Sail event value story.

From my needs perspective, I'd favor a show that delivered what you suggest in your post, a combo new build and broker show. I say this as I am in a category which probably has big numbers: buyers looking for not new but three year old boats who want to know what's fresh from the builder of choice and how that relates to target older boat that already went down the depreciation curve but Still fresh from a systems perspective.
Old 13-02-2015, 11:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post

SV, that could be a value rich story but I did not spend any time in the tent.
Old 14-02-2015, 13:09   #6
woc

Boat: Lagoon450

I bought my boat at the show two years ago. The ongoing construction certainly put a dampener on the event in many ways. Ticketing and gate administration was not well organized and confusing to many folks familiar with previous shows at this venue.
The star of the show for me was Jimmy Cornell's boat Aventura at slip B11 and the seminars he presented. The tents where the seminars are held are not suitable for a quality presentation with noise, traffic and daylight interfering with the presenters efforts. I did not get the feeling that the event is "managed" but rather organized and the left on auto pilot.
Hopefully, the construction will be completed and an improvement to make next years show much better and more enjoyable.
woc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 15:37   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I spent most of a day at the show on late Thursday and early Friday. According to the industry, the show had approximately 100 boats in the water and that was as large as in recent years. As usual, it was dominated by multihulls to 75'LOA, and the major charter companies had their new models on display. Large Beneteau and Jenneau displays. Catalina showed something in the mid-30s and their 445, which has an interesting aft cabin that is very versatile.

The tent was in an entirely different location (near Biscayne Blvd) and had the normal complement of vendors under a single tent. There was pretty good foot traffic on Friday morning, and perhaps 100 people in line as I left around 11:30.

You may have heard that the powerboat show is moving to an entirely new location for a few years (at least) at Virginia Key. This leaves the Broker's Show sort of in a funny situation, since it will be so far from the Strictly Sail show and the rest of the powerboat vendors and accessory companies.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 19:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Not even close..mthe strictly sail portion of the Miami show is 1/4 Annapolis!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 04:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post

I confirm that.
Old 15-02-2015, 05:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I spent most of a day at the show on late Thursday and early Friday. According to the industry, the show had approximately 100 boats in the water and that was as large as in recent years. As usual, it was dominated by multihulls to 75'LOA, and the major charter companies had their new models on display. Large Beneteau and Jenneau displays. Catalina showed something in the mid-30s and their 445, which has an interesting aft cabin that is very versatile.

The tent was in an entirely different location (near Biscayne Blvd) and had the normal complement of vendors under a single tent. There was pretty good foot traffic on Friday morning, and perhaps 100 people in line as I left around 11:30.

You may have heard that the powerboat show is moving to an entirely new location for a few years (at least) at Virginia Key. This leaves the Broker's Show sort of in a funny situation, since it will be so far from the Strictly Sail show and the rest of the powerboat vendors and accessory companies.

Chuck

Hmmm, if that's true (similar numbers of boats in the water this year to last), there were still many less builders on hand with brand new boats. Again, many empty slips in the middle of the show and I don't count fractional and charter company boats or brokers boats in that boat total. A show like this succeeds or fails based upon how many new boats are present. The analogy of staging the show and then letting it run its course is an accurate one, at least on Thursday it felt like that.
Old 15-02-2015, 05:10   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Those that go to ONLY the Strictly Sail portion and skip the Convention Center are missing the other 3/4.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 05:25   #12

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

Surprising that Catalina did not have (according to prior posts) their new 275 sport at the show. Were there smaller boats at the convention center?
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 05:48   #13

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversailor View Post
Surprising that Catalina did not have (according to prior posts) their new 275 sport at the show. Were there smaller boats at the convention center?
I wasn't looking for sailboats at the Convention Center, but I doubt any were there. If any, they would have been small trailerables.

I was responding to Rich's post that gear and equipment at Strict Sail Miami is 1/4 the size of Annapolis. While that's probably true (haven't been to Annapolis show for years), the Miami Convention Center has tons of accessories, all the major electronics vendors (IIRC, Garmin is the only one at Strictly Sail), electrical, generators, engines, dinghy, watermakers, galley, bedding, fixtures, etc., basically everything for inside and outside the boat. There are even sail rigging displays at the convention center.

What was curious this year is the separation of the show guides, a different one for Strict Sail vs. the Miami Boat Show. Hence, if you picked up a guide at Strictly Sail, you would have no idea who/what was at the Convention Center. I found this very unhelpful and could cause a newbie to forgo the free ride between them.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Those that go to ONLY the Strictly Sail portion and skip the Convention Center are missing the other 3/4.

The other 3/4? What am I missing? I thought it was powerboats at the Convention center. A minute after this post I read the next post answering the question, it's anything other than sailboats. Also, for the past three years I have attended Strictly Sail Miami, there has always been a separation between the two shows. Am crossing Miami off my annual show treks. Beautiful venue but disappointing boat inventory. See you in Annapolis in the fall.
Old 16-02-2015, 04:49   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
The other 3/4? What am I missing? l.
300 Hp outboard engines
Boat interior decorators
Giagantanormous diesel engines
25 different brands of sunglasses
45 different brands of t-shirts
$15,000 electronically controlled box 20 gph water makers when you can buy a manually controlled modular unit for you sailboat for $4500.
Silicone boob, lips, and butt implants, 4" high heals, and lots of Rolex watches.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, sail