Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 23:22   #16

Re: Pago Pago - October 27th

UPDATE-I had not heard of this attack before. I always thought of the South Pacific Islands as incapable of this type of violence. Just goes to show that you can never let your defenses down. I am glad that he is OK, I just hope that they do every year of their sentence.

The Results from the Sentencing Hearing
Kimball Corson
04/06/2013, Pago Pago, American Samoa

The Results from the Sentencing Hearing

The sentencing hearing went off as scheduled this morning in the High Court of American Samoa for the two Samoans who attacked me while sleeping and then attempted to murder me late at night aboard my boat in Pago Pago Habor by repeated attempts to choke me to death, the last of which almost succeeded. These events occurred in late October, 2011.

The hearing began with arguments to the court by counsel. Then defendants allocuted to the court -- that is, spoke to the court on mitigation and why mercy should be shown them. I was then allowed to address the court and did so at length, explaining what happened and how defendants had attempted in statements to the court and the police to cover up or to hide the central element of their crime.

As they alternatively misrepresented the facts, 1) they came upon me in the condition I was in and never touched me (they were caught literally red handed, however), 2) one began hitting me with his fists while I slept, or 3) one began strangling me while I slept. Take your pick.

I put photos of me, as injured, before the court -- which you have seen here -- taken in the emergency room just after I was admitted, explaining that 1) above was nonsense and 2) and 3) didn't explain all the injuries and blood. Then, I put the photograph below before the court, showing the monopod [an exact replacement, actually] with which they beat my head in as I slept, explaining that was what happen at the outset, that explained the injuries and that defendants had attempted to cover it up by misrepresentations to the court and police.

I went on to suggest there was a sociopathic element in beating someone's face in in that manner while they were asleep, causing a fractured skull and cracked the jaw bone, knocking out two teeth, knocking two more loose, necessitating 29 stitches on the half of my face that was up as I slept on my side, causing the loss of a quart and a half of blood as well as the other injuries I then sustained before their repeated attempts to choke me to death.

The court sentenced each defendant to 27 years in prison for the assault in the first degree (here, attempted murder) and to 5 years for burglary, the sentences to be served concurrently. The cruising community, which turned out for the hearing, approved, once the cruisers were outside of the courtroom.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:27   #17

UPDATE-Re: Pago Pago - October 27th/check my last post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
received this letter from a friend cruising a cheoy lee offshore 41 in pago pago---he says this happened last night, tonight in mexico is 28 oct. he has been a member here , i believe as well as other forums---he said someone next to him in anchorage was robbed--his letter:

"Last night 2 guys Boarded the boat that is Anchored next to S/V Altaira And Attacked the owner for no reason.
He was asleep in his bed and woke to 2 guys beating him, At one point they had a cord around his neck trying to choke him. Some how he got away from them to where they could not get to him easy and they left.
This was around midnight. A lady on shore saw 2 guys with a old piece of dock paddling out to his boat and called the Harbor patrol. The guys were gone by the time they got there but police on shore picked up 2 guys. The Police boat circled Altaira 5 times then left without making contact, The boat Owner came up and had one load yell for help and guys from other boats heard him and went to his aid and got he police boat back. The Police took him to the hospital where he remains and will for a couple of days. He has 2 broken teeth and scalp and other lacerations but will be ok. The boat is a Bloody mess. Eric from S/V Sidetrack the boat on the other side of him was one that responded and is going to go Clean up the boat and feed the cat. I slept through the whole thing a Rob from Changing Spots Came over an woke me up to see that I was OK about 1:30 am.
Could have been me. But I never leave my boarding ladder down and haul my Dinghy out of the water up to deck level every night. So it would be harder for anyone to get on board. His Dinghy was in the water And Boarding ladder down so they had to know someone was on the boat. The reason it wasn't me may have been because it was harder to get on my boat, we are less than 200 ft apart. All the Cruisers here are in shock. This is the friendliest place we have ever been, Really nice helpful people. Nothing like this ever happened here before the people here take pride in being friendly and helpful. I'm sure they will not go easy on guys that go against the traditions here. There are 10 churches here for every Bar. There is a large Police force here for the size of the place.
This place is still far safer than anyplace in the USA. People don't have bars on the windows and the doors are wide open most of the time. They don't have the need to be locked in their own homes like the people in AZ and CA do. Don't worry about me I'll be fine."

please be safe and make sure your boat is not easily boarded. raise your dink and make sure nothing is obvious as to your wealth or status. this can , obviously, happen anywhere in the world.
They have been sentenced.