Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2009, 15:37   #196

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Just as a FYI.
In the Kiribati language they have only 13 letters and no 'S'. So Kiribati, which most pronounce as kiribatty is actually Kiribass. The 'ti' is pronounced 's'.
I've always wondered about the history of that... Yes, Gilbertese or I-Kiribati only has fifteen sounds, but presumably it was primarily an oral language initially, and somebody had to make the effort to transcribe it into the English alphabet. What on earth was in their heads when they came up with the idea "I know - let's transcribe the sound 'SSS' as "ti"! Even though we already have the letters "s" and "z" or even a soft "c" which we could use..."
Old 23-11-2009, 15:49   #197

Boat: Charter
"ti" is quite commonly the "sh" sound in English: action, motion, nation, section, vacation, consortium, and Jessica caught her first ghoti yesterday.
Old 23-11-2009, 23:05   #198
Marine Service Provider

You guys haven't had any sessions with the locally made Coconut Toddy then?

A couple of those and I'd look like Naomi Campbell to most people so anything is/was likely

The local fishing boats are all 17ft plywood with 40hp Yamahas. Something to do with duty and a monopoly up there. When they go fishing the ENTIRE equipment list is as follows -

2 to 4 big blokes
1 container of Kiribati racing juice (water with masses of sugar and a splash of raspberry cordial)
3 tanks of fuel. (one to get out there, one to troll with and one to get home)
2 loves of bread
Fishing gear (old and bodgy and bugger all of it)
A big sharp knife

I'm not kidding, that's the entire list, nothing else. Also why they suddenly appear out of no-where in the middle of no-where. They will go 20-30 even more if pushed miles offshore just with the above gear. It'[s no wonder why many go out and just never come back.
Old 24-11-2009, 05:44   #199

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Was there any media event in rounding these islands?? Sounds like just part of her well thought out planned voyage by her team..

This was taken from her website..

Kiritimati Island is one of the three major rounding points during her around the world voyage, the other two being Cape Horn and Tasmania. Whilst she will pass under the Cape of Good Hope, it is not actually a rounding mark.
Bruce Arms, who is an integral part of Jessica’s shore team, has been impressed with her skills in rounding Kiritimati.
“Jessica has displayed really impressive seamanship and patience in rounding this landmark. The wind conditions have not been favourable for her, with headwinds and strong currents, so it has been a very challenging few days. But we have all been so impressed with the manner in which she has gone about this rounding. She kept well clear of the island and did not take any short cuts,” said Bruce.
“Whilst everyone was rightly celebrating her crossing of the equator last week, the rounding of Kiritimati was in my opinion a far more significant achievement, as it has required a very high level of sailing skills to do so and Jess has come through with flying colours.”
Since rounding Kiritimati, Jessica has made good time and is now expected to cross the equator again sometime this evening (AEDT) as she is now enjoying favourable east-south east winds.

Realize its from her Team,, but sounds like she knows what she is doing.... now the long sail south and I'm sure the Cape will bring on its own challenge...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!
Old 24-11-2009, 06:59   #200

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
So she will be on this tack for quite a while? or does she have more Islands to clear? Sorry don't have a chart of the area... dag nabbit! I think I will buy some this weekend, can never have too many charts
Godspeed Jessica, and Pink Lady...take good care of your Captain!!
Old 24-11-2009, 07:11   #201

5000 miles and no islands... eta 38 days till the Cape (just around the first of the year)..
Old 24-11-2009, 13:17   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt gay rum View Post
Was there any media event in rounding these islands?? Sounds like just part of her well thought out planned voyage by her team..
I don't think there was any significant media event. Jessica is very engaged with the history of solo circumnavigation, and rounding a physical landmark in the northern hemisphere would be more emotionally significant and would anchor that leg of the journey more than just some numbers on the gps.
Old 24-11-2009, 14:03   #203

Boat: Valiant 50
The girls going well. I'm happy for her.

1 month down, 7 to go.

Grit yer teeth lass and make us proud.
Old 25-11-2009, 07:11   #204

Yes she is doing awesome,,, like many of us ,, waiting to see how she does rounding the capes.. I wish her nothing but the best.... Sounds like her weatherman is a genius!!!! We need him here to predict Hurricanes...
Old 04-12-2009, 13:45   #205

Boat: Cascade
Tuesday, 1 December

Copied from her webpage

"After 44 days at sea, Jessica Watson and her boat Ella’s Pink Lady this afternoon passed the 5,000 nautical mile (nm) mark of her 23,000 nm solo around the world voyage. Prior to her 18 October departure from Sydney, Jessica had clocked up 10,000 nm."

To read the entire entry, go to:

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/jess...5000-mile-mark
Old 04-12-2009, 14:46   #206

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitude View Post
Copied from her webpage

"After 44 days at sea, Jessica Watson and her boat Ella’s Pink Lady this afternoon passed the 5,000 nautical mile (nm) mark of her 23,000 nm solo around the world voyage. Prior to her 18 October departure from Sydney, Jessica had clocked up 10,000 nm."

To read the entire entry, go to:

Jessica Watson - youngest ever to sail around the world
Funny headlines in todays Courier Mail

Quote:

High Winds keep teen battling on deck
Squalls not a sailors lullaby

Jessica Watson has battled strong e to s/e winds in her approach to the perilous Cape horn making staying on track a daily battle
Holy sh1t thinks me, those 60 knot winds and 12 meter seas near the cape are giving her a hard time.

Then looks at blog and see she's still up at bloody French Polynesia and had a squall that had 30 knots in it.
Old 04-12-2009, 15:15   #207

Never let the truth get in the way of a good headline....
Old 04-12-2009, 18:59   #208

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Why is there so much false info about her? Don't remember zac or any other sailor having this problem. Jessica seems to be getting an unusually high dose of the "misinformed media" crap. I realize I am a bit late to this party, but I now see what the go jessica folks were complaining about when she first started this journey... and we were on another thread.

Godspeed Pink Lady, be safe.
E
Old 04-12-2009, 22:53   #209

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Why is there so much false info about her? Don't remember zac or any other sailor having this problem. Jessica seems to be getting an unusually high dose of the "misinformed media" crap. I realize I am a bit late to this party, but I now see what the go jessica folks were complaining about when she first started this journey... and we were on another thread.

Godspeed Pink Lady, be safe.
E
Ocean Girl, you have to understand Aussie media. They thrive on negative stories.

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 05-12-2009, 13:42   #210

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ours are masters of it.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world