Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2009, 15:21   #181

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradix View Post
Jess has crossed the Equator around 2017 GMT (15:17 EST?)
Pass on Congratulations to her !

-Sven
Old 18-11-2009, 16:00   #182

Boat: Ingrid 38 S/V Semper Fi
"A small but significant correction if I may; I think you will find she was the first British woman - her trip was in 94 / 95. Kay Cottee was the first woman around in 87 / 88."

The above posted by wotname is correct, but the operative words were "unassisted" If memory serves me right, Kay Kotee had some needed parts that were ultimately delivered by helicopter. This still gave her the solo non-stop honors, but she lost out on the unassisted portion. Regardless, it was and is for any who make the RTW solo passage a great accomplishment.

Old 18-11-2009, 17:04   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 Marine View Post
"A small but significant correction if I may; I think you will find she was the first British woman - her trip was in 94 / 95. Kay Cottee was the first woman around in 87 / 88."

The above posted by wotname is correct, but the operative words were "unassisted" If memory serves me right, Kay Kotee had some needed parts that were ultimately delivered by helicopter. This still gave her the solo non-stop honors, but she lost out on the unassisted portion. Regardless, it was and is for any who make the RTW solo passage a great accomplishment.

No, I believe Kay Cottee achieved it unassisted as well. It was David Dicks (currently still the youngest solo non-stop circumnavigator) who received a bolt from a helicopter while en route and lost the "unassisted" tag from his record.
Old 18-11-2009, 18:45   #184

To all, I stand corrected. wotname and paradix are both correct. It was actually a Japanesse woman who received the part via Helicopter.
Old 18-11-2009, 19:32   #185

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
No, I haven't read every post and no, I don't keep up with her "blog". However, I still have an idea to put forth. Why don't we all just wish a fellow sailor well ? I read these posts and I just can't believe some of the bile and vitriol which is being spewed. Sure, they may be trying to make a buck off it and polish it up so they can sell the book, the movie, whatever. BUT, the kid is still OUT THERE on a boat ALONE sailing around the world. Give her a freakin' break, will ya?

Mike
Old 18-11-2009, 20:52   #186

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
the kid is still OUT THERE on a boat ALONE sailing around the world. Give her a freakin' break, will ya?

Mike
Amen Mike

now back to her boat and route....

I don't have the charts or pilot for where she is at, why sail 200 miles north over the equator before the turn south? When she does turn south what kind of tack will she be on? am I right thinking it will be a stb tack with wind towards the quarter?
Thanks
Erika
Old 18-11-2009, 21:03   #187

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Hard to guess about her going 200 miles north of the equator. Maybe something to do with the weather and sea state in that area at this particular time. Her weather/route manager may be trying to position her for a more comfortable passage to Cape Horn.
John
Old 18-11-2009, 21:07   #188
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a guess, of course, but I think it's as simple as her wanting to prove that she has cleared the hurdle of crossing the equator - what better way of doing that than taking her vessel up and around Christmas Island (Kiritimait), and being observed doing so? In an eight-month voyage, what are two or three extra days?

TaoJones
Old 19-11-2009, 00:55   #189

JW's Route

With December quickly approaching and the Coral Sea area having a bit of storm track history I'd head southeast as soon as I cleared Kiribati. This would half the value of the west flowing currents in this area. I would plan to go SW of the Phoenix Islands then more easterly to split the difference between the Tuamotu and the Marquesa group. This would allow me to take advantage of the historic high by using the western edge. It would also keep me in an area of relatively few gales thus saving my energy and wear and tear on the boat for the cape ahead. At about 125W I'd start south to about 45 to 50S then east until I reached 95W then south again. Both of these moves would take advantage of current and the prevailing westerly winds.

Depending on weather 'd like to pass Cape horn close abeam for photos.

But that's only one man's opinion.
Old 19-11-2009, 03:33   #190
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Just a guess, of course, but I think it's as simple as her wanting to prove that she has cleared the hurdle of crossing the equator - what better way of doing that than taking her vessel up and around Christmas Island (Kiritimait), and being observed doing so? In an eight-month voyage, what are two or three extra days?

TaoJones
This is the ONLY logical reasoning to continue north of the equator, weather and routing of the next leg has NO bearing at all.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 19-11-2009, 05:29   #191
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
As someone had mentioned in an earlier post, she could have gone just north of Jarvis Island to cross and immediately head downbound.

I'm pretty sure the 200 extra miles are for media verification of her position. I don't have charts to indicate any disadvantages in heading down immediately; this is likely the reason.

Otherwise: Another loud Amen to what MikeinLA said. I'm hoping that the rest of her voyage is as uneventful as the first month; I know this is unlikely and wish her well hoping she will use both her courage and continued caution. She can't control many things about her voyage, but can make sure she doesn't let her guard down.

I've written 44 articles on her voyage so far and will continue to follow on a daily basis.
Old 19-11-2009, 06:09   #192

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Congradulations to Team Jessica.. What I have noticed is we may be at odds ,, but when a sailor makes a important crossing we all come back to one common ground and that's sailing..And we all stand togeather and offer our congradulations...

Personally I feel you all are correct as to sail futher north for Media reasons.. Hey gotta pay the bills some way.....
Old 22-11-2009, 15:52   #193
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Apparently, someone has gotten word to the editor of Ms. Watson's blog that there is no "Kiribati Island." This is from her latest blog update:
Quote:
Sunday, November 22, 2009

Around Kiritimati Island

Winds on the nose and a current against us for the last few days has made for pretty painful progress, we're only just getting close to Kiritimati (Christmas) Island now.
So her round-the-world record attempt really is an educational experience for someone on her Team.

TaoJones
Old 22-11-2009, 22:04   #194
Marine Service Provider

Just as a FYI.
In the Kiribati language they have only 13 letters and no 'S'. So Kiribati, which most pronounce as kiribatty is actually Kiribass. The 'ti' is pronounced 's'.

Now, and read carefully as there maybe a pop quiz, can you the link between 'Kiritimati' and 'Christmas'?

Well done Jess, the rest of you are now being returned to normal programming.
Old 23-11-2009, 06:10   #195

Boat: C&C 121 40ft - Seeker
Meeting fishing boats and bouys out in the middle of nowhere!!! welcome to long line fishing.. luckly the line didnt get really tangled ,, could of been a real bad situation...

I thought these bouys showed up on radar???
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson, round the world