Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2012, 18:24   #16

Re: I Guess Drouge Chutes-sea Anchors Are Obsolete

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I know I'm really going to get in a bee's nest for this one, but I think It may be photoshopped. The main reason is the waves are all going in one direction except the waves right next to portside, they are breaking at a 90 degree angle with the rest of the waves. If you look carefully at the color of the sea, I think it changes color abruptly at that point. It could happen that way of course, it just looks weird. Also there is no spray coming from the bow, which I think would be happening if it was coming off the wave fast enough to be in the air. Just food for thought....

I s'pose you reckon this is photoshopped too?

(No spray from the bow, frinstance)

I don't know why they'd bother photoshopping the photo at the head of the thread, it would be easy enough to get a genuine photo if you were out there in a helo.

It doesn't seem to me to be an untoward combination of boatspeed and sea conditions for one of these competitors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wild thing 1 cutting trench low res.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	50370  
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 07:41   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Not going to argue with you, but I stand by my observations. Your photo looks real simply because it passes the above tests...I can see water on the bow or at least what looks like water (with high magnification) but most important the waves and the wind look pretty normal.I knew I would get flack for it, but it still looks like a composite picture.
As I look at the original picture under high mag, I can't help but see the breaking wave the boat is riding is taller than the boat is long. (70 feet?) Maybe it is my own personal bias, but who in their right mind would do such a thing? I hope it is photoshopped!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 07:57   #18

Boat: 41' Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
My first impressions on seeing that photo were not only the above. The jib is not set for best speed and why isn't the spinnaker up?

If you pause at 0:21 -0:22 seconds, about half of the boat is out of the water.
Black Pearl is 70'. How big you think that wave is.....

Departing Punte Del Este

ADP
Old 28-11-2012, 08:07   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I know I'm really going to get in a bee's nest for this one, but I think It may be photoshopped. The main reason is the waves are all going in one direction except the waves right next to portside, they are breaking at a 90 degree angle with the rest of the waves. If you look carefully at the color of the sea, I think it changes color abruptly at that point. It could happen that way of course, it just looks weird. Also there is no spray coming from the bow, which I think would be happening if it was coming off the wave fast enough to be in the air. Just food for thought....
Hi Newt! She be genuine.... spray would not come from the bow. We hit 20+ kts, SOG, in March on the Cabo race with 40kts of breeze and our bow was no where near the water...just sayin'..

(What you see also depends on the high angle of the first picture in this thread) (one frame of a camera can catch the wierdest looking pictures. I'm sure you've seen those emails..'caught on film')
Old 28-11-2012, 08:14   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
My first impressions on seeing that photo were not only the above. The jib is not set for best speed and why isn't the spinnaker up?
Alpha Romeo, 100 ft maxi, raced to Hawaii in TP 2009. Set new elapsed record. Their boat speed was so fast with apparent wind so far forward, they never had an ayso kite up. Maybe an A5..New machines!
Old 28-11-2012, 08:47   #21

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

World records I thinnk . 24hr rrun 600+ nm 27 knots average Volvo ocean race. Speed vetas sail rocket 59 knots=60mph=106 km/hr .pretty fast Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 08:52   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by olepedersen View Post
World records I thinnk . 24hr rrun 600+ nm 27 knots average Volvo ocean race. Speed vetas sail rocket 59 knots=60mph=106 km/hr .pretty fast Ole
Yes Sail Rocket's new record is amazing. 59 kts is about 67 mph..
Old 29-11-2012, 13:07   #23

Boat: Salona, 37'

I have almost zero experience sailing offshore. When I posted this topic I was heading offshore on my boat and had a great 300 mile trip. Recently I have decided to see for my self how offshore cruising in a small (37') boat feels. I just arrived in Charleston, SC after a fun trip down the Chesapeake then down the east coast. So from a novice view I thought sea anchors were to keep the boat from making enough headway and cross the next wave??? The modern designs plane and some racer cruisers do 14 knots reaching in a 22-25 knot breeze. So FLIR, life raft, jack lines, harnesses I have but sea anchor. no.
greyhound37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor