Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2011, 18:38   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Family rescued off California coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
30 - 40 knot winds I think not, unless this is the way the coastguard over report weather to justify something. There isn't even white horses. Finally why the high line lift when there is a fire boat alongside.

Still good training exercise I suppose.

Pete
please read the posting from ktla -- shows that some of us do have storms.. big ones..
Old 21-03-2011, 18:52   #17

lets make this forum look nasty by bashing storm victims. that could have been YOUR boat. it isnt cool to bash storm victims in ugly boats just as it isnt cool to bash hurricane victims
Old 21-03-2011, 18:59   #18

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
just because I am a mod doesn't mean I don't get an opinion... good or bad.

Being a mod is a fact, not an excuse.
Hold yourself to a higher level.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:02   #19

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lets make this forum look nasty by bashing storm victims. that could have been YOUR boat. it isnt cool to bash storm victims in ugly boats just as it isnt cool to bash hurricane victims
Hi Zeehag, It wasnt a storm- as you can tell in the vid, there werent even any white caps. Yes it was an ugly boat. But thats ok. I dont think people are bashing storm victims here, because the people on board werent the victims of a storm. I think they are bashing people who obviously got stuck on a boat they have no idea how to use. Someone mentioned Darwin Awards earlier. I dont think they were too far off.

I also bashed the Coastguard, if bashing is what we are calling it. I couldnt believe the lack of boat handling skills of the bowman and skipper who came in too fast. I honestly believe that if we dont critique what we see and hear we dont learn from others mistakes.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Hi Zeehag, It wasnt a storm- as you can tell in the vid, there werent even any white caps. Yes it was an ugly boat. But thats ok. I dont think people are bashing storm victims here, because the people on board werent the victims of a storm. I think they are bashing people who obviously got stuck on a boat they have no idea how to use. Someone mentioned Darwin Awards earlier. I dont think they were too far off.

I also bashed the Coastguard, if bashing is what we are calling it. I couldnt believe the lack of boat handling skills of the bowman and skipper who came in too fast. I honestly believe that if we dont critique what we see and hear we dont learn from others mistakes.
it WAS a storm situation that broke them loose. sorry. we got the storm after they did--yes i know it was a storm we lived thru it already. the winds in the storm were 40 + sustained knots. yes is a storm. they broke loose from a marina and were swept to sea. think about it-- the vid was taken AFTER the storm-- the rescue was AFTER the storm. we were experiencing this storm while this family was being rescued. lol' was a storm. yes.

please keep bashing uscg--they need it.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:07   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Family rescued off California coast

And 10gallons of OnOff for the hull.... man it looked a heap...
Conditions don't look that bad... prop wash looks stronger than the wind...
Makes one understand the No Liveaboards Policy in many Marinas...
Anyone know what happened to the boat...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:11   #22

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
it WAS a storm situation that broke them loose. sorry. we got the storm after they did--yes i know it was a storm we lived thru it already. the winds in the storm were 40 + sustained knots. yes is a storm. they broke loose from a marina and were swept to sea. think about it-- the vid was taken AFTER the storm-- the rescue was AFTER the storm. we were experiencing this storm while this family was being rescued. lol' was a storm. yes.

please keep bashing uscg--they need it.

Yea, but how far do you let yourself get "swept to sea" before you drop a hook?

I think it is pretty obvious that this is a floating home not a sailboat. I think there is a difference.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
And 10gallons of OnOff for the hull.... man it looked a heap...
Conditions don't look that bad... prop wash looks stronger than the wind...
Makes one understand the No Liveaboards Policy in many Marinas...
Anyone know what happened to the boat...

Cheeze boaty, I thought you was above the whole 'judge the lessers.'
Old 21-03-2011, 19:35   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to ProtectTheOcean

Did any of you who watched the rescue swimmer's video see 6-8' seas or 30-40 knot winds? Calling for a tow wouldn't have gotten anyone bothered. Calling the Coasties, on the other hand.. That little rescue cost We The People thousands of dollars unnecessarily.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Family rescued off California coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny chaos View Post
Cheeze boaty, I thought you was above the whole 'judge the lessers.'
Kenny... just don't like people who let their boats get like that...
especially if they live aboard... no one needs to live in crap...
soap, water and a scrubbing brush is cheap enough..
Comes under the same heading as folks who kick their dogs...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:39   #26

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

6" of rain, that's impressive even here where we get 80+ per year! Drop a hook? I know here there's a lot of places my 340' of chain won't even kiss the bottom away from shore, I don't know about the LA area. 50 knots gets sloppy real fast. Bad mouthing USCG SAR operations, get a life! When I was in there wasn't one boater we rescued that wasn't thankful, but maybe thats how far things have changed! SEMPER PERATUS
Old 21-03-2011, 19:40   #27

ROFL--YOU GUYS DONT GET IT. boats that break away arenot rescued until after the strom is done. these folks did breakaway during a stormk. is only hting areound during their period of absence from dock. so whaT THEIR BOAT IS FOOGLY AND THEIR NEW BABY IS COLD. TREAT THEM AS YOU WOULD ANYONE ELSE BREAKING LOOSE IN A STORM. vids RE TAKEN AFTER STORMS 3done and rescue is also. we had many breakaways while these folks wr being rescued at sea
they were being rescued during out time of disaster in sd bay with 40 kts and 4 ft seas inside bay. la angeles and avalon were experiiencing this storm a few hours before we got it. remember la is north of sd and we get storms just after they do --usually by a day--this was mre hous--vry fast moving storm. hAD A TIGHT CENTER WITH VERY HIGH WINDS.
yes they were negligent prolly in lines and such--but the storm that broke us loose was just thru htere and they were found in sea just hours after they had same storm we did. 2+2=storm vix=go figger. i was on fone with folks in LA county during htat storm. i was in that storm. it wasnt fun. 40 kts sustained and gusting pegged anemometwrs T 50+..lol Was a helluva storm there . BTW--THERE ARE NO MOORINGS IN LOT ANGELES HARBOR-- EXCEPT FOR 6 IN LARSONS MARINA. THEY ARE NO LIVE ABOARD MOORINGS AS THEY ARE ROUGH WATER MOORINGS. NOT LIVE A BOARD AS THEY ARE VERY DANGEROUS.

WHERE IN PACIFIC OCEAN YE GONNA DROP A HOOK WITHOUT 500 FT CHAIN????? LOL--NOT GONNA.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:45   #28

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
6" of rain, that's impressive even here where we get 80+ per year! Drop a hook? I know here there's a lot of places my 340' of chain won't even kiss the bottom away from shore, I don't know about the LA area. 50 knots gets sloppy real fast. Bad mouthing USCG SAR operations, get a life! When I was in there wasn't one boater we rescued that wasn't thankful, but maybe thats how far things have changed! SEMPER PERATUS

I have no doubt they were thankful.

They will probably be thankful to the one that finds the boat, brings it back and sets up new mooring lines too.

Yea, I don't know the depth 300 yards from the mooring.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:49   #29

Zee- such is the prob with commercial forums.
It's quantity, not quality.
Old 21-03-2011, 19:50   #30

LOL
YUP
Closed Thread

Tags
california, family