Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 14:12   #436
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Oregon, USA
Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage 43
Posts: 200
Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

CG PR says "Coast Guard ...helped coordinate the rescue of five people ...with the assistance of the cruise ship Norwegian Gem..."

WTH, "assistance of" should say "heroic effort by the crew of the cruise ship"
Quote:
Originally Posted by YADO View Post
Coast Guard Rescue Video is posted on line

You can view it or download it from here.

*VIDEO UPDATE* Coast Guard coordinates AMVER rescue in high seas
__________________

__________________
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:31   #437
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

So ................ it appears that the crappy production boat wasn't sinking after all????? That's whatI'm gettting out of the talk about salvaging it.

Guess the boat just wanted to get rid of the carbon based units inflesting it!
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:14   #438
Registered User
 
mbianka's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,125
Images: 1
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So ................ it appears that the crappy production boat wasn't sinking after all????? That's whatI'm gettting out of the talk about salvaging it.

Guess the boat just wanted to get rid of the carbon based units inflesting it!

Yep, the boats are usually tougher than those who sail them. I always have to remember when someone asks about going for a sail that a lot of people think they want to go sailing until they actually get on the boat. I've had guests come on board who actually got queasy while we were still tied to the dock. Others freaked out just walking on the floating dock while heading toward the boat. That's why I tend to sail alone most times. Less worries and the beer and provisions last much longer too.
__________________
Capt. Mike
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:21   #439
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler
 
sarafina's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco
Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Posts: 5,559
Images: 56
Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Ok.. tough situation , bad weather, however... Mainsail was still in the cover and the only headsail was wraped up nicely. How much water? from where ?
The rescue team instructed them to furl all sails for the pick up, so they were under (if I recall correctly) a small head sail prior to the arrival of the Gem, and then furled that in preparation for the rescue.

Per the Captain they were manning the pumps 24/7 and had not identified where the water was coming from. He was concerned that delamination was an issue and that what was a small(ish) leak would become a critical one under the stress of the incipient bad weather.
__________________
Sara

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:28   #440
Moderator
 
Pete7's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Solent, England
Boat: Moody 31
Posts: 8,536
Images: 14
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Phil, it' headed our way, what you doing next August? fancy a sailing trip out into the Western Approaches

Pete
__________________
Moody 31 - April Lass
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:12   #441
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,310
Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
Per the Captain they were manning the pumps 24/7 and had not identified where the water was coming from. He was concerned that delamination was an issue and that what was a small(ish) leak would become a critical one under the stress of the incipient bad weather.

Yet after all this time with no one manning the pumps the boat is still floating along. And still I've not seen anything about this "delamination" other than the the above.

I'm not saying a wrong decision was made, just that I'm still waiting for the info in order to turn the whole thing into a learning one for me.
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:57   #442
cruiser

Join Date: May 2010
Location: SF Bay Area; Former Annapolis and MA Liveaboard.
Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Posts: 6,197
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

SaltyMonkey was laying low hoping no one caught that the delimitation issue wasn't an issue afterall, and also instructing friendly sock puppets to say that wineglass full keel gaff rig boats would never have a problem and they should have listened to SaltyMonkey.

SaltyMonkey needs a boat...and this one looks very tasty for the price!
__________________
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26   #443
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,198
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Phil, it' headed our way, what you doing next August? fancy a sailing trip out into the Western Approaches

Pete
Sounds good to me Pete.....
Could also maybe end up off the Portuguese coast... if it takes the Southern split...
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 18:21   #444
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,321
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
Others freaked out just walking on the floating dock while heading toward the boat.
At least they did not blame the structure and ask the body corporate to rigidify the complete floating dock. True story!
__________________
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2011, 22:00   #445
Registered User

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, Wash.
Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Posts: 1,794
Send a message via MSN to John A
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
At least they did not blame the structure and ask the body corporate to rigidify the complete floating dock. True story!
For awhile SF Bay area was considering a requirement that all boats in a marina be wheelchair accessible.
__________________
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 05:33   #446
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Holland, France
Boat: 33ft sloop
Posts: 1,091
Images: 5
Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Yet after all this time with no one manning the pumps the boat is still floating along. And still I've not seen anything about this "delamination" other than the the above.

I'm not saying a wrong decision was made, just that I'm still waiting for the info in order to turn the whole thing into a learning one for me.
If this is one of the older ('88 onwards) "Kevlar energised" hulls, delamination is not THAT unrealistic. Mme Beneteau' s factory decided to experiment adding a layer of Kevlar in the hull laminate.

Point is that Kevlar bonding with glass laminate requires minimal the use of vinylester resin - but this was not executed by Beneteau.
On the '88 HISWA Symposium we made a remark about this to Peter Dehler,
to whom we showed our bonding experiments. Even epoxy at that period was hardly used in production yachtbuilding. Dehler decided not to use exotic fabrics.
Later on Dupont gave Kevlar a different surface treatment so that it could used in regular glass laminates.

So, if this Beneteau is one of the 88-90's production boats I would not rule out delamination alltogether.
__________________
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 06:44   #447
Registered User
 
GeoPowers's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 947
Images: 27
Re: Crew of SV 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
If this is one of the older ('88 onwards) "Kevlar energised" hulls, delamination is not THAT unrealistic. Mme Beneteau' s factory decided to experiment adding a layer of Kevlar in the hull laminate.

Point is that Kevlar bonding with glass laminate requires minimal the use of vinylester resin - but this was not executed by Beneteau.
On the '88 HISWA Symposium we made a remark about this to Peter Dehler,
to whom we showed our bonding experiments. Even epoxy at that period was hardly used in production yachtbuilding. Dehler decided not to use exotic fabrics.
Later on Dupont gave Kevlar a different surface treatment so that it could used in regular glass laminates.

So, if this Beneteau is one of the 88-90's production boats I would not rule out delamination alltogether.
She is a Beneteau 393, which I believe were built from 2002 through 2006.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 07:31   #448
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Holland, France
Boat: 33ft sloop
Posts: 1,091
Images: 5
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

In that case - Beneteau knowing and aware the difficulties with Kevlar bonding - I do not think delamination in the hull to be that feasible.

The real cause can only be found when the boat is lifted out of the water. If that will be ever the case depends on who is finding the boat in time.
Fishermen, although not that sophisticated, have sometimes powerful pumps on board and the required cool brainers to bring a yacht unscratched to port.
__________________
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 11:20   #449
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

I dont believe for a moment the boat was the issue. Beneteau build them strong.

Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2011, 11:42   #450
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Holland, France
Boat: 33ft sloop
Posts: 1,091
Images: 5
Re: Crew of S/V 'Sanctuary' Abandon Ship

There are reasons that you might be right.
__________________

__________________
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
crew

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crew Wants to Abandon Ship, but Skipper Doesn't . . . David_Old_Jersey Health, Safety & Related Gear 102 16-11-2011 06:24
Crew of SV 'Elle' Abandon Ship YADO Cruising News & Events 41 09-11-2011 11:20
S/V 'Panache' Crew Abandons Ship CharlieCobra Cruising News & Events 111 30-11-2008 10:09



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.