Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 17:35   #16

I spoke with someone on a cat about 250 yards from the boat that sank. They were hit with a 50 MPH plus gust that blew out their jib. The accident boat was knocked flat. They watched the entire sinking. It appeared the sails scooped a lot of water and were not released. The boat sank in about 1 minute. The boat was re floated about a year later. It had no real damage and what is amazing is that they were able to restart the engine after towing the boat over to Peter and draining the oil ect... They motored it over to Tortola and I think it was cleaned up and sold after a overhaul. Sounds like a long term electrical nightmare unless every wire was replaced.
sailvi767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2010, 05:35   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Thanks, sailvi767. I was wondering if someone had recovered the boat. I think I recall that it was on the bottom in about 100' of water.
Old 24-08-2010, 06:43   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57
I talked with the guy at Moorings who had the boat raised - the first surprising thing in the story was that at first nobody could even find the boat despite the relatively shallow waters and known location. Once located, it was determined that the main hatch was indeed open. And I, too, was told that after salvaging the boat and getting her prepped that the Yanmar diesel fired right up!
The boat was to be gutted to the hull and then refitted since not only the electrics but every bit of wood needs to be replaced.

Tags
British Virgin Islands