Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 11:34   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
He's talking about the "Search Forums" box under the Facebook stuff.
Old 23-12-2010, 11:42   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks, Hud . . . as always.

Minggat, that is just another way to get to the vBulletin built-in Search function, not an unrelated, and thus different, "sucky search function." The only search functions on the site are the built-in one (that sucks) and the Google Custom Search, which is the work-around to enable users to search the site with much more success.

Thanks, again, Hud!

TaoJones
Old 23-12-2010, 16:22   #18

Boat: Islander 36
Tao,

I did a print screen and it came out too large to attach, so I pasted it into a word doc to make it smaller. Sorry.

Your response above gives the reason. Without the link to the Google Custon Search, it's just remains "sucky". I'm thinking that if you then just make that very visable button (to me) go away, some might find the search button near the top of the page, and then discover the Google Custom Search, and again, less re-training like we're doing here.

Just my 2 cents worth.

My searching on CF will never be the same. Thanks for the re-training.
Old 23-12-2010, 19:36   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It's OK, Minggat . . . thanks to Hud, I now know what it is your were referring to. Since I only ever use the Google Custom Search, I've never actually clicked on the Search link you referenced. With vBulletin, as with most programs, there are usually several ways to access the same thing.

That said, the Google Custom Search is very effective and very helpful. Getting to it is so simple that once you get in the habit of using it, you will wonder why you never explored the site more to see what the possibilities are.

TaoJones
Old 25-12-2010, 19:39   #20

Boat: Little Harbor 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones
Okay, folks . . . it looks like it's time for the Search re-training:

When you open the Search function by clicking on Search in the menu bar that runs just below the box containing your User Name when you're logged in, it will open a drop-down menu. Ignore the Search box at the top of the menu . . . scroll down to the Google Custom Search box and enter your search term there.

Before someone responds with, "Why don't you eliminate the Search box at the top of the menu if it sucks?" I will point out, again, that it is built in to the vBulletin software that this site runs on. Yes, it sucks, but we can't remove it - that's why the Google Custom Search was added.

Pass the word . . .

TaoJones
It looks like the search function in the iPad app doesn't work at all. Any tricks here?
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc