Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2015, 10:21   #1

Need some pointers on a 10-12 month plan

Need to leave Cape Town in Sept 2016 and ideally be in San Diego in August 2017.

Broad-stroke plan is to leave Cape Town and cross to Caribbean. Cruise that area and maybe make way over to Mexico before getting to San Diego.

I hear the route up to San Diego is all uphill so need to look at trucking, skipper delivery or possibly the long route to Hawaii and then down to San Diego? Concerned Hawaii is too much in too little time. Love Hawaii and would be amazing to moor in Hanalei bay for a bit.

Any tips greatly appreciated!
EvilRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 10:35   #2

Boat: Schionning GF1400 46'
Re: Need some pointers on a 10-12 month plan

Hurricane season is a concern. We did South Africa to Ensenada this year. I shipped to Tortola with other cats, they were for Moorings. After BVI & Guadeloupe, we spent the summer months in the ABC islands, then didn't head north from Papagayo until November. We got lucky with the Baja Bash and did PV to Ensenada in 6 days arriving Dec 9.
You put a lot of miles on your boat with a delivery. Lots of maintenance and repair for us. But it was a great trip. Be sure your boat is well proven before long legs.
Bill Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 10:51   #3

Thanks for the reply Bill!

You "shipped?" to Tortola? Do you mean sailed?

Excuse the ignorance, but where does PV refer to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibbs View Post
Hurricane season is a concern. We did South Africa to Ensenada this year. I shipped to Tortola with other cats, they were for Moorings. After BVI & Guadeloupe, we spent the summer months in the ABC islands, then didn't head north from Papagayo until November. We got lucky with the Baja Bash and did PV to Ensenada in 6 days arriving Dec 9.
You put a lot of miles on your boat with a delivery. Lots of maintenance and repair for us. But it was a great trip. Be sure your boat is well proven before long legs.
Old 27-12-2015, 10:54   #4

Boat: Schionning GF1400 46'

shipped as in "on a freighter"
I was rightfully daunted by a 6,000nm first leg.
PV is Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Bill Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 09:12   #5

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

The hurricane comment is cogent for the summer months, particularly in southern Mexico. Panama to San Diego is an uphill bash, but there are only a couple of long legs, with the Gulf of Tehuantepec being one of the most challenging.

There is a great deal to see on your way north. It would be a pity to miss much of it due to timing. Unless you have plans of returning to Mexico subsequent to your destination goal of San Diego, I'd recommend trying to plan some time in the Sea of Cortez before making your last bash north up the Pacific Coast of the Baja California Peninsula.

Whatever your plans, I wish you well on your journey. It sounds like it should be a rewarding adventure. Fair winds and smooth seas!
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 12:57   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Evil Rabbit,

Another option might be for you to leave the yacht in San Carlos, on the hard, for hurricane season.

If your boat is weatherly, the "bash" is doable, but tiring.

We've made the sail from Hanalei Bay to SF twice, once in a 30 footer, and the other in a 36 footer. The first 3 days out of Hanalei are also a windward bash, and the trip should be begun before the end of Sept., imo.

Ann

Ann
Old 28-12-2015, 13:50   #7

Boat: Boatless

Why would you go to Hawaii to get to San Diego? (Look at chart before responding) :-)

Good motor, chug and sail on up :-) the sail from SA will be magic!
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 17:38   #8

Hi Anne

Hanalei is magic! I guess we would be sailing around June/July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Evil Rabbit,

Another option might be for you to leave the yacht in San Carlos, on the hard, for hurricane season.

If your boat is weatherly, the "bash" is doable, but tiring.

We've made the sail from Hanalei Bay to SF twice, once in a 30 footer, and the other in a 36 footer. The first 3 days out of Hanalei are also a windward bash, and the trip should be begun before the end of Sept., imo.

Ann

Ann
Old 28-12-2015, 17:40   #9

Sounds like you have done this. Would a month be sufficient time from Panama to San Diego, taking in a few spots along the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neophytecruiser View Post
The hurricane comment is cogent for the summer months, particularly in southern Mexico. Panama to San Diego is an uphill bash, but there are only a couple of long legs, with the Gulf of Tehuantepec being one of the most challenging.

There is a great deal to see on your way north. It would be a pity to miss much of it due to timing. Unless you have plans of returning to Mexico subsequent to your destination goal of San Diego, I'd recommend trying to plan some time in the Sea of Cortez before making your last bash north up the Pacific Coast of the Baja California Peninsula.

Whatever your plans, I wish you well on your journey. It sounds like it should be a rewarding adventure. Fair winds and smooth seas!