Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2011, 14:47   #1

Question Need advice

We live on a 3 mile lake in upstate NY. Would like to buy my spouse a small sail or motorboat. Ideal would be a small, light sailboat that could take a motor. Am considering Sunflower 3.3 sailboat, Sunchaser I, Hobie Bravo Catamaran or Walker Bay 310. Any and all advice would be welcome...
suladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 18:45   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Need advice

Bravo isn't set up to take a motor, and won't take a second person very well. Hobie still producing this model so class still being supported. I have sailed on them some. As a large person I found them kind of small, the main sheet being rigged at the back of the boat instead of infront of the helm was very awkward.
HOBIE BRAVO Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

The Sunflower is a version of the Snark of which more than 1/4million have been made. As a sailboat it is rather narrow but apparently adaquate in moderate winds. Crew might not be very easy to carry.
SUNFLOWER Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
SEA SNARK (SUPER SNARK) Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

The Sunchaser is a larger version of the Snark, wider for better stability and carrying capacity and it looks like it is set up to take a motor. Decent learning boat from appearances. CastleCraft Sunchaser One Sailboats | Snark Sunchaser I Sailboat New they would run you about $3300. Light enough to cartop.

Other sailboats to consider are:
The Flying Scot is a 19 footer with seating for the whole family and then some. Sitting on a trailer it should weigh about 1100lb, small enough for all but a sub compact to pull. They are still in production so there is continuing support. Used they should cost about $2k-3k with trailer. Boats are rigged simply which will be an aid to learning. I have sailed several extensively and really enjoyed them.
Flying Scot® Sailboats
FLYING SCOT Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com

The Holder 20 also has a cockpit large enough for a family, plus it has a cuddy cabin suitable for 2 people to overnight in, perhaps 2 adults and 2 kids. Weight on the trailer should be about 1400-1500lb. Holders are out of production, but Hobie was the last builder and may still be supporting the class. Prices should be similar to the Flying Scot.
HOLDER 20 Sailboat details on sailboatdata.com
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:18   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard CF and enjoy
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 19:40   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by suladan View Post
We live on a 3 mile lake in upstate NY. Would like to buy my spouse a small sail or motorboat. Ideal would be a small, light sailboat that could take a motor. Am considering Sunflower 3.3 sailboat, Sunchaser I, Hobie Bravo Catamaran or Walker Bay 310. Any and all advice would be welcome...
Find out what the other people living on that lake are sailing. Sometimes it's fun to be able to race around with other people who have identical boats. I grew up on a small lake where every family had a Snipe. It was great fun.
Old 31-05-2011, 20:03   #5

Adelie - We are two people who love to kayak; as well, this boat might be used at most 6 to 8 times over the season. This is for my husband's birthday and really can't spend over 3000. He has always talked about learning to sail but also mentions how much fun it would be put-putting around this small lake. Flying Scot way too much in size.

Bash - this lake is mostly populated by Sundowners; very rarely do I see any kind of a sail boat.
suladan is offline   Reply With Quote