Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2011, 06:57   #1

Boat: SAGA 27 AK
Ft Lauderdale to Tampa Single Handed

I need to sail single handed from Ft Lauderdale to Tampa (weather willing), and thence to Galveston with crew. Any local advice for the Ft L to Tampa part, including the estimated travel time, will be greatly appreciated.

Boat is a 36ft monohull.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 07:20   #2

Boat: Cambria 44/46
Re: Ft Lauderdale to Tampa single handed

Hi,
It's an easy trip this time of year. I'd suggest a short daysail to Miami and then to Rodriguez Key, If I recall from my last trip around. 'Next day to Marathon and anchor outside if it's settled. Then on to Key West. These are fairly easy day hops. Key West to the sea mark for the south west passage into tampa bay is a day and a half. That would put you entering the bay at sunset. It would be a shame to miss all the beautiful cruising on the west coast of Florida though. I'd consider Key West to Ft. Myers Beach a nice overnight run and pick up a city mooring an have a few beers in the beach town. Then you can go back out and day sail up to Venice inlet or Longboat pass, both fairly easy in's. You can also run up the inside ICW but it's a PIA with all the bridges and shallows to either side of the channel. You would not have time to eat lunch nor take a pee 'cause you just can't leave the helm. However there are spots deep enough to anchor off the channel.

Where are you going in Tampa Bay. I live in St. Petersburg and can suggest anchorages or moorings.
Cheers,
Dennis
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 07:36   #3

Boat: SAGA 27 AK
Re: Ft Lauderdale to Tampa single handed

Thanks Dennis, it sounds an interesting and fun trip, and not too difficult single handed. I did consider the inland waterway and Okeechobee, but with 6 ft under the waterline and 54 ft or so above it seems like cutting it fine, and as you say it would be a PITA... I like the idea of taking more time up the Florida West coast though, I think I'll get my wife and kid to join me at Ft Myers. I should have mentioned that I'll be making the trip in early August, hence the comment about weather willing. If I pick the crew up in Ft Myers I'll not be going into Tampa but any suggestions for overnights down the Florida coast will be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
pillum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 10:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
I am an admitted newbie with large boats. But if not stopping for reason, why route to Key West? Is there an issue with cutting across at Long Key? Marker 1 at N24 51.023 W80 49.951 starts a channel that is reported to have 7 foot or more at low tide. There is another channel by Key Largo, but it is way to tight and shallow for a sailboat!

Not trying to be smart...just trying to understand. The Long Key channel would appear to shave a day or so off the run.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2011, 10:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Ft Lauderdale to Tampa Single Handed

The draft/air draft is just on the edge of big O, but it would be a quick easy single hand.

Going the keys route with 54' I would go on to key west or cross at snake creek bascule. The fixed bridges are mostly 55', so that is cutting it pretty thin. Good news is that KW is due south of Tampa.

I know most of the route you're taking like the back of my hand... PM me and I'll give you my cell number if you need any help
Old 14-05-2011, 12:24   #6
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Ft Lauderdale to Tampa Single Handed

The Moser Channel (under Seven Mile Bridge and just west of Marathon) is easily doable. The vertical clearance is 67'. We had a minimum of 9-10' depths traversing Florida Bay.

Tags
singlehanding