Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2022, 07:11   #1

Boat: 1968 Venture 21
Tried to use Chat GpT to see if it could create a sail plan

I was not sure where to out this but I was using Chat GPT, the online AI that was released recently, to ask it a few questions. I asked it for a route around the Chesapeake and the results were pretty good (I have not looked at the actual route). I know weather, tides and much more would need to be considered but I found it interesting.

Here is what I asked:

I have a sailboat with a minimum draft less than 2 feet. Can you make me a 12 day sail plan starting in Annapolis and ending in Annapolis visiting as many gunkholes as possible but not sailing more than 35 nm per day.

Here is the response form the AI:

Here is a potential 12-day sail plan for a sailboat with a minimum draft of less than 2 feet, starting and ending in Annapolis and visiting as many gunkholes (shallow, sheltered anchorages) as possible while not sailing more than 35 nm per day:

Day 1: Depart Annapolis and sail to Dividing Creek (12 nm)
Day 2: Sail to Saint Mary's River (20 nm)
Day 3: Sail to Saint Inigoes Creek (18 nm)
Day 4: Sail to Coan River (17 nm)
Day 5: Sail to St. George's Creek (20 nm)
Day 6: Sail to Wicomico River (15 nm)
Day 7: Sail to Tangier Sound (30 nm)
Day 8: Sail to Chincoteague Bay (22 nm)
Day 9: Sail to Sinepuxent Bay (25 nm)
Day 10: Sail to Wye River (27 nm)
Day 11: Sail to Eastern Bay (20 nm)
Day 12: Return to Annapolis (15 nm)

This sail plan will take you to a variety of gunkholes in the Chesapeake Bay area, allowing you to explore different anchorages and enjoy the beauty of the region. The distances between each destination are generally within the 35 nm per day limit, allowing for a leisurely pace and plenty of time to enjoy each destination.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind of cool in my opinion.
Old 20-12-2022, 07:51   #2

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Tried to use Chat GpT to see if it could create a sail plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsuklee View Post
I was not sure where to out this but I was using Chat GPT, the online AI that was released recently, to ask it a few questions. I asked it for a route around the Chesapeake and the results were pretty good (I have not looked at the actual route). I know weather, tides and much more would need to be considered but I found it interesting.

Here is what I asked:

I have a sailboat with a minimum draft less than 2 feet. Can you make me a 12 day sail plan starting in Annapolis and ending in Annapolis visiting as many gunkholes as possible but not sailing more than 35 nm per day.

Here is the response form the AI:

Here is a potential 12-day sail plan for a sailboat with a minimum draft of less than 2 feet, starting and ending in Annapolis and visiting as many gunkholes (shallow, sheltered anchorages) as possible while not sailing more than 35 nm per day:

Day 1: Depart Annapolis and sail to Dividing Creek (12 nm)

Day 2: Sail to Saint Mary's River (20 nm)

Day 3: Sail to Saint Inigoes Creek (18 nm)

Day 4: Sail to Coan River (17 nm)

Day 5: Sail to St. George's Creek (20 nm)

Day 6: Sail to Wicomico River (15 nm)

Day 7: Sail to Tangier Sound (30 nm)

Day 8: Sail to Chincoteague Bay (22 nm)

Day 9: Sail to Sinepuxent Bay (25 nm)

Day 10: Sail to Wye River (27 nm)

Day 11: Sail to Eastern Bay (20 nm)

Day 12: Return to Annapolis (15 nm)

This sail plan will take you to a variety of gunkholes in the Chesapeake Bay area, allowing you to explore different anchorages and enjoy the beauty of the region. The distances between each destination are generally within the 35 nm per day limit, allowing for a leisurely pace and plenty of time to enjoy each destination.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind of cool in my opinion.
Pretty crazy.
Old 20-12-2022, 11:28   #3

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Good podcast on this:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000589572594

The part that got my attention was Chat GPT is based on GPT 3. GPT 4 already exists within OpenAI (the company making these things), and people that work on AI for a living get kinda freaked out by it.
Old 20-12-2022, 12:39   #4

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

It’s scary, because the AI writes so confidently that we may be inclined fo believe it without doing our own research. Are those distances at all accurate ? I asked a sailing question the other day and it had a whole paragraph on how I should do my own research, so that was kind of nice.

I did put in a question on calculating loads on a chain plate and that seemed pretty accurate and informative.

I guess we will all be looking for new jobs soon.
Old 20-12-2022, 13:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSalmon View Post
It’s scary, because the AI writes so confidently that we may be inclined fo believe it without doing our own research. Are those distances at all accurate ? I asked a sailing question the other day and it had a whole paragraph on how I should do my own research, so that was kind of nice.

I did put in a question on calculating loads on a chain plate and that seemed pretty accurate and informative.

I agree it is a little scary. I had right me a sea shanty about a guy in Iowa that thinks he was a sailor. Wasn't amazing but it had some concepts and surprisingly flowed. I also asked it to "Draw" a diagram for a basic electrical system for my boat and it was pretty accurate.

The key, like any tech, is over-reliance without verifying.
Old 20-12-2022, 13:38   #6

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36

It wrote a sea shanty for you? Okay, that’s pretty awesome.

Can we get this thing to stand watch ?
Old 20-12-2022, 14:04   #7

Boat: TES 246 Versus
Send a message via Skype™ to Tedd

Quote:
The key, like any tech, is over-reliance without verifying.
"Simulation is like masturbation: the more you do it the more you become convinced it's the real thing."
--anon
Old 20-12-2022, 14:19   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

From a recent Register article:

"ChatGPT is Dunning-Kruger As-a-Service (DKaaS)"
Old 21-12-2022, 01:46   #9

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
From a recent Register article:

"ChatGPT is Dunning-Kruger As-a-Service (DKaaS)"
The Ai can not self reflect on its answer, but a critical human being can perform that task to some extent.
One should not blindly trust the results, but more like the trained craftsman check the work of the apprentice. Often apprentice work turns out good and usable, sometimes not.
Old 21-12-2022, 05:50   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Quote:
I asked it for a route around the Chesapeake and the results were pretty good.
The results are not good at all! Most of the distances are wrong, and some of the destinations aren’t even on the Chesapeake! Some specific notes:

There are a few Dividing Creeks on the Bay, and the closest to Annapolis I’m aware of is on the Magothy River, which is north of Annapolis while all other destinations are south of Annapolis. It’s also more like 15 nm.

Annapolis to St. Marys River is 70 nm so any destination within 12 nm of Annapolis would be a lot further than 20 to St. Marys.

St. Inigoes Creek is a tributary of the St. Mary’s River, it’s right there, not 18 nm away.

St. Inigoes to Coan distance is correct, it’s across the Potomac from St. Marys.

St. Georges Creek is another tributary of the St. Marys, so you’d be crossing the Potomac again to go back north. Chop tends to build in the mouth of the Potomac even in moderate conditions so zipping back and forth across it on a short itinerary probably isn’t your best bet.

Wicomico River is 40+ miles from St. Georges Creek.

Tangier Sound itself isn’t a place you’d anchor as it’s very exposed, but if you stopped at Smith Island or Crisfield they’re about 30 nm from the Wicomico so I can say they got this one right.

Chincoteague and Sinepuxent Bays are barrier island bays of the Delmarva peninsula not connected to the Chesapeake. To get there by boat you’d have to sail down to the mouth of the bay, out into the ocean, and 75 nm back north. This is the biggest screwup of the itinerary. I’m not even sure how to analyze the rest of the results with this being so wrong.
Old 21-12-2022, 15:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
The results are not good at all! Most of the distances are wrong, and some of the destinations aren’t even on the Chesapeake! Some specific notes:

There are a few Dividing Creeks on the Bay, and the closest to Annapolis I’m aware of is on the Magothy River, which is north of Annapolis while all other destinations are south of Annapolis. It’s also more like 15 nm.

Annapolis to St. Marys River is 70 nm so any destination within 12 nm of Annapolis would be a lot further than 20 to St. Marys.

St. Inigoes Creek is a tributary of the St. Mary’s River, it’s right there, not 18 nm away.

St. Inigoes to Coan distance is correct, it’s across the Potomac from St. Marys.

St. Georges Creek is another tributary of the St. Marys, so you’d be crossing the Potomac again to go back north. Chop tends to build in the mouth of the Potomac even in moderate conditions so zipping back and forth across it on a short itinerary probably isn’t your best bet.

Wicomico River is 40+ miles from St. Georges Creek.

Tangier Sound itself isn’t a place you’d anchor as it’s very exposed, but if you stopped at Smith Island or Crisfield they’re about 30 nm from the Wicomico so I can say they got this one right.

Chincoteague and Sinepuxent Bays are barrier island bays of the Delmarva peninsula not connected to the Chesapeake. To get there by boat you’d have to sail down to the mouth of the bay, out into the ocean, and 75 nm back north. This is the biggest screwup of the itinerary. I’m not even sure how to analyze the rest of the results with this being so wrong.
Thank you for breaking it down. I really did not have the knowledge to evaluate the results. Interesting I got results the quality seems to be lacking.
Old 21-12-2022, 18:10   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

I have spent a fair amount of time learning about this. It actually started several months ago before ChatGPT was released.

It is difficult to imagine, but ChatGPT is a supercharged text completion AI. It doesn't know the meaning of words, or what you are asking of it. It has no understanding of your prompt, or its answer. It uses the words in your prompt to predict what words should come next, based on what it has learned about the language from its training, scanning all of Wikipedia, a bunch of novels, and large segments of the Internet. Then, there was intensive human training by large numbers of hired English speakers in Asia, who would prompt the AI, and grade the response so the AI could learn to make responses that were more convincing of an underlying understanding that isn't really there.
Playing with it it's difficult to believe that it is only a sort of text completion AI (called a language model). But, it is running on a supercomputer with 285,000 CPU cores and 10,000GPUs purpose built for OpenAI. Microsoft (which owns the supercomputer) claims it to be in the top 5 most powerful supercomputers in the world. Given that much power, and it having spent months ingesting the Internet learning what words are likely to follow what other words, the illusion is very amazing, but it will often make obvious mistakes in logic or facts because it doesn't understand those things. Just like autocomplete on your phone makes dumb mistakes.
Old 18-09-2023, 20:30   #13

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSalmon View Post

You should ask it a medical question. It gives you a disclaimer and then tells you possible issues, % of population with that issue, and treatment options. It even told me to take zinc and vitamin C for my cold.
Closed Thread

Tags
sail