Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2019, 14:00   #1

Comparison of Navionics app vs iNavX app on iPad and iPhone?

I googled "comparison of navionics app vs inavx app" and there's not much out there, and what there is, is 2 to 8 years old. iNavX has a "comparison" chart on their site but doesn't compare their app with Navionics.

I just downloaded the Navionics app for iPad and iPhone. The app is free and includes a free 2 week trial and then you pay for the charts on a 1 year subscription basis. For example, the US chart package is $14.99 for 1 year.

The iNavX app costs $5.99 upfront and you buy the charts from third parties. (NOAA charts are compatible with iNavX and are free.)

QUESTIONS:

1) Have any of you guys done a RECENT side-by-side comparison of the two apps? What did you think?

2) Since iNavX accepts the free NOAA charts, can one safely navigate from the west coast to Hawaii and back with the free NOAA charts only?

P.S. Yes, I am aware of OpenCPN (and that's probably what I'll implement next), but for now I would like this discussion to be focused on the iNavX and Navionics apps, please.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 02:39   #2

Re: Comparison of Navionics app vs iNavX app on iPad and iPhone?

Since Navionics include AIS capability I don't find a good reason for prefer iNavx... iNavx has an anchor alarm but for this I prefer Anchor! or Aqua Map.

It looks there's not a recent comparison between these app available on line
raffo5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iNavX, Ipad, iphone, navionics, phone