Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2006, 13:31   #1

Boat: Samson C-Lord '54 s/v Adamo Mare
Ferro Owners

Hi,

I am new to this forum and am looking for ferro cement owners like myself. I own a Samson C-Lord 54ft schooner.

I tried enclosing a picture, but as I sized to photo down to under 1000 bytes, it came out smaller than a postage stamp. Am I doing something wrong?

looking forward to hearing from you.

Rich
AdamoMare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 15:25   #2

AdamoMare,

Don't feel bad. I had that problem with trying to post photos onto posts. So I had to post a link with the post. You may have to try that idea?

Ferro-cement boats. There are good ferro boats out there. I still have been thinking of getting one for myself. There are ferro owners on this forum. And there are former ferro boat owners on this forum.

Also welcome aboard to this forum. If you have questions. I'm sure you'll find the answers in here.
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 15:38   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Aye, there is threads on this here forum about Ferro boats, look around or do search....Plenty of opinions there is....
Old 02-01-2006, 16:54   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
The guy that can really turn your ear on ferro's is Alan Wheeler down in NZ.

Find his posts and you'll fing most of the positive comments.............._/)

Click on his name and go from there..
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 17:46   #5

CaptainK

Thanks for the welcome. I have no complaints with my boat. I bought the boat in Canada, sailed her out the St Lawrence to RI about 1200 nm. I'm very happy with her.
Old 03-01-2006, 17:50   #6

CSY Man,

I did read most of the other Ferro thread 7 pages! Opinions is an understatement! Ferro seems to be one of those those subjects that seem to stir a lot of controversy.
Old 03-01-2006, 17:52   #7

delmarrey,

I will get a hold of Mr Wheeler. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:00   #8
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
C'mon Wheels, still out cruisin eh?
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 23:59   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I just walked in the door, dropped the bags and turned on the computer. Is that bad or what? It's going to take a few days to catch up bythe look of all the posts.
Pete.. The trip was awesome. NY's at midnight, Peter Talley gave one very amasing fireworks display in the bay for all of us. It went on for twenty minutes or more. However, three boats in our bay decided to join in with some flares. First a private boat, then two charter vessels. And one of them should have known better than anyone. It was "Sweet Gorgia". Two flare launched off her deck went astray and one ended up setting the Abel Tasman park alight. So it was a fun filled eventful night.

Hey AdamoMare, welcome. I feel outnumbered here at times. Maybe you and me can team up and work on Jeff a bit. I recon we will slowly turn him around to FC

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 00:13   #10

Welcome back Wheels.

I suspected you were out of town.
Old 07-01-2006, 22:03   #11
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
Good to hear from you again Alan. So,,,, Gubby making his presence felt in the South again eh? I'd read about the fire from the flare but it didn't mention a boat. Did you get to Hopai? Damn, I miss those Sounds sports days.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 22:35   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There were so many li...cough cough...errr, I mean stories being thrown around. The couple we had on our boat went off parting on one of the charter boat rafted beside SG. My mate was a little shocked at the flare being let off, but the skipper responded with, "Vessels under survey are allowed to let of expired flares on NYE at midnight". Yeah right. When I was told that I said, nup, no way. No one no where at anytime can let of a flare unless it is an emergency. I was so shocked a skipper would say that. Then when the fire started, this guy was trying to tell everyone that the fire was already burning before midnight. Yeah, right once again, NOT. I watch the flare go up and come down in the bush. Actually it was one of three flkares all set off together. I think the guy's on deck tried to make a star shape. One flare instantly took off at low level and went into the bush over a ridge. Another went up in the right direction. The third lost it's chute and droped in to water about 100ft away from us, but missed the deck of a boat by just feet. that would have been fun. then heaps of abuse was being dished out at the skipper of SG. Somebody with the right sense made a call to D'Urville maritime and radioed in the situation. Then I heard a call from some nut calling all boats in the bay to come to shore to help fight the fire. I then got worried and I really mean it. I was thinking, Oh great, that's all we need, a bunch of drunk people all walking up through the bush in the dark of night to fight a large scrub fire that was burning out of control coming toward them. I think it was the fact no one or very few would have had radios on to hear the call.
A sole DOC officer evacuated the campers and took them down the beach to safety. Fire fighters were brought in by boat and fought the fire from the opposite end. It was mostly out by about 4AM.
I don't know if authorities know what happend. Personaly, I would love to see further action. But then there were three vessels involved, and I imagine the truth would be hard to find. I think I was most disapointed by the skipper of Sweet Gorgia. Although all should know the law, he for one should have known it best, plus he has the reputation of a fine vessel to uphold. Not that I woould have anyway, but I certainly would not be chartering his vessel myself after seeing this "non-proffesional" act.

Old 08-01-2006, 00:02   #13

So nobody knows anything, Wheeler?
And how much do you know, how much this would affect (SG) Sweet Gorgia and their charter business?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 08-01-2006, 10:39   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't think it would affect SG or their business directly. The Skipper is the one responsible and he of all should have or would have known the rules. I mean, the qualifications one needs in this country to become a skipper is just plain huge and for me, insurmountable. I doubt it will ever be possible for me to get a skipper ticket, yet here is someone with one and in charge of a luxury motor yacht and yet seemingly doesn't know the rules.
This incident was one of three such incidence through the country. This one was lucky it was a small fire. The other two became major blazes. Remember that it is summer here and our bush is tinder dry and waiting to explode. The above situation was in a national park and a major and famouse NZ walking track with people tenting out there. This could have been very seriuose indeed.
I dunno CptK, are you suggesting I am being to tuff???? Maybe I tend to see things too black and white. But that's the person I am and probably the country I live in.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:25   #15

No Wheels.

I'm not saying you're too tough. It's just that I believe someone should've paid, for starting those fires. And if the (authories) couldn't firgure out which one of them, that really started that fire. As an example to others, pick one of them that they know was involved. And throw them into jail, with a stiff fine.

Here in the USA. Arson is a felony. Period!! I knew one guy. A cousin to my neighbor. And they really threw the book at him. His cousin is doing time for Arson. I believe they gave him 10 years?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin

Tags
ferro