Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2018, 09:55   #1

Destep mast on a 1974 Catalina 27

Hey Cruisers,

I've taken over a 1974 Catalina 27 and I replaced the steaming light and anchor light, but it seems the wires are corroded or disconnected within the mast. I'm getting current in the wire until it goes up thru the fiberglass cabin, but neither lights work up the mast. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way I can access the wires between where it goes thru the ceiling near the cockpit and where it comes thru at the top of the mast--without aimlessly drilling holes.

It seems I have only a couple options, 1 is to somehow get to the wires at the base of the mast and then guide new wires up. But I don't know how I would even do that without drilling a sizeable hole in the mast which doesn't seem structurally sound. The other option is to destep the mast, but there are no bolts or hinges at the base, it looks like it is welded or glued with fiberglass to something beneath (which I cannot see). I don't know where to begin.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

peregrintook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:28   #2

Re: Destep mast on a 1974 Catalina 27

A couple things that may help:
-The mast is likely sitting on the base that just slips inside the mast. You can see the base fitting in your picture. When you remove the mast it will slip off the base and the base will stay on the deck.
-You can lower a large lead fishing weight on a small strong line down from the mast top to establish a pull line for new wires.
-Often wires jam at the spreaders on rivets when you are trying to pull them, due to screws and the like, or because there are wire splices there for spreader lights etc if you have them.
-There is likely an access point inside right below the mast base. Look for wood trim, plates or etc that are removeable with screws. Have you looked inside the head near the mast base?
-Much of this is easier to do and rebuild if you take the mast down.
-Cant tell for sure from the photo inside but maybe that mast support box beam is hollow? It's possible the only wire access is under the floor. Often boats are done like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAST.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	171407  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 21:28   #3

Re: Destep mast on a 1974 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A couple things that may help:
-The mast is likely sitting on the base that just slips inside the mast. You can see the base fitting in your picture. When you remove the mast it will slip off the base and the base will stay on the deck.
-You can lower a large lead fishing weight on a small strong line down from the mast top to establish a pull line for new wires.
-Often wires jam at the spreaders on rivets when you are trying to pull them, due to screws and the like, or because there are wire splices there for spreader lights etc if you have them.
-There is likely an access point inside right below the mast base. Look for wood trim, plates or etc that are removeable with screws. Have you looked inside the head near the mast base?
-Much of this is easier to do and rebuild if you take the mast down.
-Cant tell for sure from the photo inside but maybe that mast support box beam is hollow? It's possible the only wire access is under the floor. Often boats are done like this:
Wow, thank you for the information Cheechako.

I went out for a sail today and looked down in the cabin, it looks like the walls in the head are removable. As in, the whole wall panel is removable. That might be a good place for me to start. The beam doesn't have an entrance I can see, but I doubt the wires come from the floor as they creep up to the ceiling and to the lights.

I'll take a look at that head panel this week and see if I can access.

Thanks again!
peregrintook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, mast