Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 13:53   #61

Re: Did I act correctly in a gale?

I think you did exactly the right thing.

You were not sailing so all the talk of sails and reefing etc do not apply. Putting up sail in those conditions is impossible.

Motoring slowly into the wind is the launch equivalent of heaving to. It gives you time to assess the conditions and decide what happens next. I usually prefer to sail at a 30 degree angle to the wind/waves so as to prevent waves changes your course.

There are times when weather changes without warning. The signs can be hidden by land nearby.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:05   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yes, the trick is being able to reduce boat motion, while maintaining steerage way... so your beer doesn't spill....think I'm joking....ever seen a drunk stagger from lamp pole to lamp pole..keeping a drink in his hand....without spilling....'jes sayin'....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 17:47   #63

Boat: Dufour 45 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Recently in the Tuscan archipelago I was caught by a sudden gale (gusting 45kn). It was a 46 foot chartered sailboat. I was on engine so turned the boat to the wind and reduced speed to displacement. Off course all of us had life jackets on and whilst it was building I secured everything.

Since this was my first time in such conditions, I would value any advice on whether this was the right course of action? Anything else I should have done?
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/elixirnz/478625
Reduce sail right down, keep your motor off unless, or until, you need it. If you have searoom then turn to take the wind and sea on the stern quater.
TedElixirNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:16   #64

Boat: Beneteau First 345

A sailor that claims to know everything about sailing has spent most of his sailing life sitting at a bar drinking and telling sea tales...
I concur with Dockhead and a few others, shortening sail, reading the weather, knowing your boat, using all the tools you have to make it safer...
At night I usually have a reef in the main even if I don't require it. Easy to roll in the headsail from the cockpit safely. Motor-sailing can be a comfort though motors can quit. If what you do works then that is good , have a fall back plan or two. Always more than one way to handle situations and all depends on your skills and the tools at hand. Being able to reef from the cockpit is particularly good for short handed situations. Work on your heavier weather sailing when safe to do so to build skills and confidence...
Many of the sailors here have more experience and probably sense than me. Take advice with a grain of salt and use what works best for you.
Be humble at sea, it is big and powerful and has no respect for arrogance.
Heading out from the land can be a soul expanding experience to enjoy...
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 14:22   #65

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Away 3 View Post
A sailor that claims to know everything about sailing has spent most of his sailing life sitting at a bar drinking and telling sea tales...

Be humble at sea, it is big and powerful and has no respect for arrogance.
Wise words.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote