Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 13:53   #61

Re: Did I act correctly in a gale?

I think you did exactly the right thing.

You were not sailing so all the talk of sails and reefing etc do not apply. Putting up sail in those conditions is impossible.

Motoring slowly into the wind is the launch equivalent of heaving to. It gives you time to assess the conditions and decide what happens next. I usually prefer to sail at a 30 degree angle to the wind/waves so as to prevent waves changes your course.

There are times when weather changes without warning. The signs can be hidden by land nearby.

john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:05   #62

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

yes, the trick is being able to reduce boat motion, while maintaining steerage way... so your beer doesn't spill....think I'm joking....ever seen a drunk stagger from lamp pole to lamp pole..keeping a drink in his hand....without spilling....'jes sayin'....

MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 17:47   #63

Boat: Dufour 45 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.j.levy View Post
Recently in the Tuscan archipelago I was caught by a sudden gale (gusting 45kn). It was a 46 foot chartered sailboat. I was on engine so turned the boat to the wind and reduced speed to displacement. Off course all of us had life jackets on and whilst it was building I secured everything.

Since this was my first time in such conditions, I would value any advice on whether this was the right course of action? Anything else I should have done?
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/elixirnz/478625
Reduce sail right down, keep your motor off unless, or until, you need it. If you have searoom then turn to take the wind and sea on the stern quater.

TedElixirNZ is offline   Reply With Quote