Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2016, 19:26   #1

Boat: Bavaria 42 Cruiser
Cost of Synthetic teak on 2000 Bavaria 42 Cruiser

Has anyone replaced their original teak decking with synthetic teak? How much did it cost? What manufacturer did you use? Anyone install it yourself?
cccote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 19:41   #2

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46
Re: Cost of Synthetic teak on 2000 Bavaria 42 Cruiser

Are you sure you want to do that?

I looked at the latest Bavaria optional "Dura Deck" decking and everyone at Bavaria USA said not to do it for several reasons: very hot versus teak, much hotter than no teak. Plus the cost was higher than teak by approx. $4k:
Dura Deck on side decks (only in combination with Dura deck on cockpit floor, seats & swim platform) $22,013
Dura Deck on coach roof (only in combination with Dura deck on cockpit floor, seats & swim platform) $3,588
Dura Deck on cockpit floor, cockpit seats, swim platform $3,738

Also, I had the impression that the Dura Deck devalued the boat, possibly due to limiting the market with people who don't like synthetic.

This pricing was provided by Bavaria USA for the Dura Deck on the Vision 46.

Curious as to why you are considering synthetic? Is your teak in bad shape only from 2000?

I purchased the teak in the cockpit and coach roof. Curious how long it may last. Did you do anything to maintain it?

Also, how do you like your Bav? You should join the Bavaria Builders Group. There will then be four of us!
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 19:49   #3

I have boards peeling up on the side decks on both sides. When the deck is wet I can see water squeezing up between the boards on most of the side deck so they are in bad shape. I would think replacing all the teak would be very expensive and am surprised you tell me the fake teak costs more. The original cost charged by Bavaria was $7500 back in 2000 so I imagine it would be very expensive now. I would prefer real teak it's just a cost issue.
Old 18-03-2016, 20:01   #4

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

cccote, That really sucks. I sure it would cost a lot more than the original $7500. I really hope that doesn't happen to mine. I have teak in the cockpit and coach roof, not on the side and foredeck. I'm hoping being more protected they will last. Other than peeling up, are they in good condition? Could you epoxy them back down and then seal them?
SofiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2016, 20:05   #5

almost all are in good condition. If I can peel them off intact then maybe I can clean and re-glue them down and only purchase a few boards. The side decks hold water where you have your teak it should be much better as long as you keep the seams sealed The whole bow area still seams to be okay maybe I'll try to remove the lose ones and see how much I can salvage then decide what to do then.
Old 18-03-2016, 20:51   #6

Boat: Ohlson 29

We had a boat with synthetic teak; it was a lot cheaper then real teak and looked pretty darn good. Also much better grip and didn't get hot (some do, tho).

There are several good topics on the different options, here's one:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-158697.html

If you do a search, you'll find more
Old 19-03-2016, 16:22   #7

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

A dock neighbor just had his 1970's yacht done with faux teak. It really does look good! The installer told me it came out to about $25/sq ft. For materials. The installation on side decks and cockpit was well done.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 17:36   #8

Boat: Bayliner 4588

I have a 4588 that I put a TNT lift on, a couple of years later added Tek Dek Tek-Dek International - Teak Boat Decking. Cost is around $30/sq ft Canadian. Need to do this when it is warm and there is a learning curve (my platform has a lot of my DNA from the crazy glue). I love the look and could easily cool off the platform by lowering it in the water. We have had many parties with spills of wine, cigarettes and anything else and nothing has left a permanent mark.
I thought the shade in the cockpit area from the flybridge over hang would be sufficient to keep the temperature down so I made mats and placed them on my hatch covers in the cockpit as a test before completing the project. In the sun they were to hot, so $1,500 and quite a few hours just got wasted.
harddockcafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bavaria, cruise, cruiser, teak