Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2020, 15:08   #1

BVI to Trinidad

Hey folks,

I’m planning on sailing from the BVIs to Trinidad sometime during mid June. I don’t plan on spending too much time island hopping. Once in Trinidad, will haul the boat for a few months. Just looking for some second opinions because I’d be sailing during hurricane season.

Some other thoughts:

1) Corona virus quarantine for cruisers...getting stuck somewhere for multiple weeks until cleared?

2) Will the weather/ sailing be unenjoyable even if theres not a storm/hurricane nearby?

3) What kind of communications would you recommend for receiving weather. I was thinking of purchasing a Garmin inReach.
lsheaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 15:14   #2

Re: BVI to Trinidad

There is no answer to your corona inquiry

The answer, current procedures in force , will only be available at departure

I’ve done that trip in May , st Thomas Antigua , Antigua Grenada , Grenada Trinidad .. no problems

But you never know, be alert , only stop in good ports

Mobile phone reception is decent ... you will have access to internet resources
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 06:03   #3

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

Personally I would try to go direct.. avoids all the uncertainty of rapidly changing quarantine regulations and hurricane forecasts..it also of course takes less time.

By all means make eastings while you, in lighter or ENE winds so you can use the lee of the islands as shelter, but unless it gets sustained SE its not a bad trip ~600nm or so
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 07:36   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsheaf View Post
Hey folks,

I’m planning on sailing from the BVIs to Trinidad sometime during mid June. I don’t plan on spending too much time island hopping. Once in Trinidad, will haul the boat for a few months. Just looking for some second opinions because I’d be sailing during hurricane season.

Some other thoughts:

1) Corona virus quarantine for cruisers...getting stuck somewhere for multiple weeks until cleared?

2) Will the weather/ sailing be unenjoyable even if theres not a storm/hurricane nearby?

3) What kind of communications would you recommend for receiving weather. I was thinking of purchasing a Garmin inReach.
I've done the opposite, straight from Trinidat to the BVI. But north or south it is the same, either port or starboard tacks.
But check before departure for any potential trouble around the Cape Verde islands, and you'll only need a few days window - the in-reach or Iridium/Predict Wind would be a good idea. But I think Trinidad just closed its borders.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 08:05   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I've done the opposite, straight from Trinidat to the BVI. But north or south it is the same, either port or starboard tacks.
But check before departure for any potential trouble around the Cape Verde islands, and you'll only need a few days window - the in-reach or Iridium/Predict Wind would be a good idea. But I think Trinidad just closed its borders.

Actually, it isn't the same, either direction, unless you pick your season. There is a reason that there are "the Windwards", and "the Leewards" and why one way charters are available and popular. That said, the difference is USUALLY not anything like the difference in direction on the US - BVI trip! You should have fun, either way you do it.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 08:15   #6

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Actually, it isn't the same, either direction, unless you pick your season. There is a reason that there are "the Windwards", and "the Leewards" and why one way charters are available and popular. That said, the difference is USUALLY not anything like the difference in direction on the US - BVI trip! You should have fun, either way you do it.
Agreed, but remember, the straight shot is almost a straight line, skipping the windwards/lewards...
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI