Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2020, 05:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

ANNAPOLIS--get paid to sail

FUN sailing tour operation in Annapolis--must live nearby
Classic, restored Morgan 382 with highly experienced captain.
Part-time, on-call situation perfect for a student, retiree with flexibility
Many September and October bookings
Small stipend for each trip plus tips-which can be lucrative and quickly add up.
Must pass drug testing program and background check.
Respond with brief PM with phone number and email.
Please DO NOT document every time you've been on a boat. While some sailing knowledge and experience is required, what is most important is a good customer service, reliability and work ethic. I suggest that you "sell" me based on your character to interest me not your sailing experience. You will learn a lot, have fun, gain sea time and earn a lot of tips.
Opportunity for paid maintenance work and delivery positions THANK YOU!.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 15:07   #2

Re: ANNAPOLIS--get paid to sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
FUN sailing tour operation in Annapolis--must live nearby
Classic, restored Morgan 382 with highly experienced captain.
Part-time, on-call situation perfect for a student, retiree with flexibility
Many September and October bookings
Small stipend for each trip plus tips-which can be lucrative and quickly add up.
Must pass drug testing program and background check.
Respond with brief PM with phone number and email.
Please DO NOT document every time you've been on a boat. While some sailing knowledge and experience is required, what is most important is a good customer service, reliability and work ethic. I suggest that you "sell" me based on your character to interest me not your sailing experience. You will learn a lot, have fun, gain sea time and earn a lot of tips.
Opportunity for paid maintenance work and delivery positions THANK YOU!.
Paul, you keep posting this and not getting anyone because you're looking for an employee and not making it clear that you are paying even minimum wage. It's the law in Maryland that your employee's pay plus tips equal minimum wage. If you require a drug test and background check there's no way you're legally getting away with claiming they aren't an employee and calling their compensation "a stipend" doesn't change that. The setup you describe also requires you to make them W-2 employees, as an fyi. I wish you luck and don't want to see you face big fines for trying to get around laws that I know as a Maryland employer are strictly enforced.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 00:28   #3
Marine Service Provider

Redneck Rob This is the second time you have written such a response (and possibly more sent to me anonymously) and while I ignored your first extemporaneous comments, I shall reply here because you are accusing a legitimate business of violating the law, which is patently untrue and borders on corporate libel, which by the way, may be actionable in a court of law. I do not answer to you, but you have made this into something more than just a private matter. I do not know what is your obviously zealous concern about poking into something that is not really your business, but clearly you are grinding an axe, so to speak, and publicly, neither of which is productive or necessary. How do you know that those who serve as mate are NOT receiving the required $10.10 per hour? The answer is You DO NOT KNOW. What I offer is standard in the boating world and is similar to that of a restaurant. I am not doing anything wrong, unethical or illegal but I don't have to answer to someone hiding in cyberspace named Redneck Rob. Since you so clearly have a lot of free time on your hands, why not apply for the position? Send me your resume and a cover letter, but don't forget that my posting clearly states "....what is most important is a good customer service, reliability and work ethic. I suggest that you 'sell' me based on your character to interest me not your sailing experience." This has already been demonstrated to me. By the way, why not tell us here what business you own and operate? You may contact me and speak to me privately and in a civil manner, if you so choose and are so capable, but otherwise, I would suggest that you not pursue this matter any further. I consider your responses here to be "trolling".
Old 31-08-2020, 04:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

I have to side with paul on this,regardless of laws,many unpaid internship positions lead to full time jobs,going sailing as "crew" wether it is paid or not is the best way to gain experince
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 05:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
Redneck Rob This is the second time you have written such a response (and possibly more sent to me anonymously) and while I ignored your first extemporaneous comments, I shall reply here because you are accusing a legitimate business of violating the law, which is patently untrue and borders on corporate libel, which by the way, may be actionable in a court of law. I do not answer to you, but you have made this into something more than just a private matter. I do not know what is your obviously zealous concern about poking into something that is not really your business, but clearly you are grinding an axe, so to speak, and publicly, neither of which is productive or necessary. How do you know that those who serve as mate are NOT receiving the required $10.10 per hour? The answer is You DO NOT KNOW. What I offer is standard in the boating world and is similar to that of a restaurant. I am not doing anything wrong, unethical or illegal but I don't have to answer to someone hiding in cyberspace named Redneck Rob. Since you so clearly have a lot of free time on your hands, why not apply for the position? Send me your resume and a cover letter, but don't forget that my posting clearly states "....what is most important is a good customer service, reliability and work ethic. I suggest that you 'sell' me based on your character to interest me not your sailing experience." This has already been demonstrated to me. By the way, why not tell us here what business you own and operate? You may contact me and speak to me privately and in a civil manner, if you so choose and are so capable, but otherwise, I would suggest that you not pursue this matter any further. I consider your responses here to be "trolling".
I'm glad to hear that you've committed to pay a wage rather than a "stipend", knowing that will certainly help you achieve your goals of attracting applicants. Although I'm guessing your response to me probably won't do you a lot of favors in that department. As I indicated before, I wish you luck and success.

And no, I didn't PM you so it sounds like there's another guy out there you need to sue for libel for providing you the same sound advice.
Old 31-08-2020, 06:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
I have to side with paul on this,regardless of laws,many unpaid internship positions lead to full time jobs,going sailing as "crew" wether it is paid or not is the best way to gain experince
As an aside, when one threatens someone with a libel suit, it's pretty hard to then turn around and do something "regardless of laws" isn't it?

The FLSA guidelines on unpaid internships are pretty clear and this clearly wouldn't qualify based on several of the tests (The extent to which the internship is tied to the intern’s formal education program by integrated coursework or the receipt of academic credit. The extent to which the internship accommodates the intern’s academic commitments by corresponding to the academic calendar. The extent to which the internship’s duration is limited to the period in which the internship provides the intern with beneficial learning. The extent to which the intern’s work complements, rather than displaces, the work of paid employees while providing significant educational benefits to the intern. https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fac...sa-internships). The DOL and states have been cracking down pretty hard on unpaid internships that don't meet these standards with some pretty high profile cases, so they're now fairly rare and almost all fit very clearly in the guidelines of the FLSA. I'm sure if there are questions about the legality of this particular scheme, the MD Department of Labor would be happy to provide an opinion.

What I would suggest to anyone seriously interested in this is an apprenticeship. This falls more clearly into that realm, and while you still have to pay a wage to apprentices, MD has programs like the Apprentice Tax Credit (https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employm...editinfo.shtml) which make it financially beneficial to the company providing the opportunity. It's a bit of work because you need to actually intend to convey a skill to the apprentice rather than just use them for labor, but if that's your intent it's a good program.
Old 31-08-2020, 08:58   #7

we really do not need people like redneck policing the forum .
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 09:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
we really do not need people like redneck policing the forum .
It sounds like someone is deciding who should be able to post and what should be said on the forum, or "policing the forum" as you'd call it?
Old 31-08-2020, 09:15   #9

I also side with Paul on this. I'd love to apply, but I've just rented a tiny pond house nearby kids to provide grandmotherly assistance in schooling and anything else they need me to do. No W-9, probably not a drug test, meals provided when I'm on duty; just great customer service, a smile, consistently high level of energy, the highest level of responsibility, experience in, out and around boats of all kinds, and trust.
Maybe next year!
G'ma Sugar
(Cande)
Ms J-37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 12:41   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

As an ex employer it's been my experience that for anyone here, including the OP. a payroll service makes a lot of sense if you need to hire just a few people. You hire who you want, but they're the employer of record and handle all the filings and other government requirements. In my case, their fee was offset by their workman's comp rates compared to mine (companies with a lot employees can get much better rates).
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 13:31   #11

Boat: Montevideo 43

How do I contact you privately?
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2020, 14:03   #12
Marine Service Provider

It is easy to send a private message or PM, which unfortunately, some folks choose not to do but instead just post irascible or argumentative comments publicly--as we see here all the time..... Log in, go to the upper right of your screen just below the panoramic photo of the catamarans. It will say Welcome Jannie Radiance and you go from there. Thanks Paul
Old 31-08-2020, 14:15   #13
Marine Service Provider

Thanks to the reasonable, rational and decent people who have responded here. It has restored my faith in this otherwise very informative and positive forum. Perhaps we will all be better off when those who are abusive or unusually argumentative or difficult will take a cue. That is more like "self policing" which has been done within all human societies since the dawn of tribal communities. For much of human civilization, and for most of maritime history, self policing even continues today. As for maritime skills, sailors undergo a period of training or apprenticeship before they gain enough experience (i.e. time aboard and underway) to become eligible for testing for licenses, or simply to be entrusted with time at the wheel or with prudent operation.
Old 31-08-2020, 17:32   #14

Boat: Montevideo 43

Sorry. I am available as captain. Misread your ad.
Jannie Radiance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis, sail