Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2020, 14:59   #1
FEC

Deale, MD to Puerto Rico

Timeline is from 11/15/20 until whenever we get there, not in a hurry.
Hello, I am looking for an adventure crew, a couple of people looking for an adventure at sea because this will be my first offshore experience. Looking for a couple of people or another couple with sailing experience, mechanically inclined and someone who is electrically inclined just in case something decides it wants to stop working at the most inappropriate time. You would have to pay your flights to and fro and we can share all costs minus any maintenance issues, which are all mine. We would be on a '97 51' Beneteau 3 cabin/head sloop. Part of the way will be ICW canal and from SC onward should be offshore. I think that's all other than to say you will be accompanying my wife and I. I am 47, she is 45. We are in an adventure mood so when we are not sailing, you know, we love to have drinks and make friends and we want to make this as memorable as can be so really looking for a laid back type crew. If you have any questions, please as away, time is getting short.
...I'm going where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain, going where the weather suits my close...Banking off of the northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze...and skipping over the ocean like a stone...
FEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 15:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Deale, MD to Puerto Rico

What’s your ‘air’ draft?
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 15:38   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Pm sent
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 15:51   #4
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
What’s your ‘air’ draft?

The mast is 53' tall. I believe the previous owner has taken it down that route several times in the past and he said he no problems. Just to be mindful of low/high tide.

Previous owner also had Perkins Diesel engine rebuilt and 5kw Northern Lights generator rebuilt, electrical panel rewired. I just got the sails checked and they are perfect.

Batteries are in great condition, 950AH, hope to have solar installed by departure day, if not it would need to be something that is done while underway, hopefully.
...I'm going where the sun keeps shining through the pouring rain, going where the weather suits my close...Banking off of the northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze...and skipping over the ocean like a stone...
Old 24-09-2020, 16:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEC View Post
The mast is 53' tall. I believe the previous owner has taken it down that route several times in the past and he said he no problems.
A 51’ Beneteau with a 53’ mast? Maybe I’m missing something here...
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 16:32   #6
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
A 51’ Beneteau with a 53’ mast? Maybe I’m missing something here...

Haha, 63.5" sorry
Old 25-09-2020, 04:12   #7

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

What is your draft? Alot of the ICW has under 6ft. Some areas we went through 3 months ago were 4.5 and several boats had run aground in certain areas. We draw 3'6ish and still bumped a few to as when we were close to the edges with passing traffic.
Have a fun trip otherwise, Puerto Rico is Great! But I'd plan to spend time in Semana DR it's amazing.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 05:59   #8

Boat: Seaward 22

I suggest you measure your air draft and not go on the previous owner.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 06:43   #9

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26

Hi,

The trip sounds like a lot of fun. I am a 44 year old lady. I just helped a new boat owner bring a 1965 Pearson commander from Fort Meyers to New Orleans. The trip took us 32 days. We did a combination of offshore, coastal and ICW. I have also been mate on a 23’ Glander all over the Gulf and on a 3.5 month trip from New Orleans to Rio Dulce Guatemala and back. I enjoy adventure and am not shy of hardships while sailing. I also have my own 1967 Pearson Ariel. I can run a boat by myself and have no problems doing shifts on my own. I’m a good navigator as well. I know and have taught SSB weather fax. I have a calm temperament under stressful situations. I take sailing seriously until safely at dock and then enjoy letting loose and making friends. If interested and would like more information about me, please send me a message.
Zejha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 12:50   #10

Boat: Ericson 35-2

"going where the weather suits my Clothes" btw
thought you wd want to know : )

great song
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 16:05   #11

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Just a few questions out of curiosity. How much offshore overnight experience have each of you had? Why aren't you going either direct from Norfolk or via Bermuda then down? Are you sure you'll be allowed to enter PR given CV-19? What are your plans if you can enter now but the regs. change while enroute?
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 06:00   #12

Boat: Hunter 460 44'3"

I sent you a PM regarding traveling in company. I’m taking my Hunter 460 down ICW about the same time frame from Norfolk, VA.
Soldout2sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 16:48   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

I've done three deliveries this year; you'll have good water from Norfolk to Morehead City, no worries; south to SC you'll need to close attention but shouldn't see under 6' except at low tide and/or out of the marked (not the charted) channel. Sounds like a fun trip
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 09:48   #14

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
I suggest you measure your air draft and not go on the previous owner.
Good advice. Our Leopard 39' catamaran has a measured air draft of 63' to the top of the mast plate and a verified water draft of 4'. I have taken her through the ICW several times, starting in Norfolk all the way to Jacksonville. Highly recommend you physically measure your air draft. Couldn't find the exact specs for a '97 Bene 51 but a newer one has an air draft of 70'. Also, with a 6' draft you will have to pay very close attention to the tides as there are many spots where a one hour difference in your time of passage will determine whether you touch bottom or not. Lastly, there are a few bridges where there is no tidal effect at all and the air clearance is determined by the direction, strength and duration the wind has been blowing.

Seems like you have several options as to experienced crew from the responses to your post. Have a great adventure.
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Puerto Rico