Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2020, 14:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43
anchor chain galvanizing

Hi everyone. I purchased 80 mts of Lofrans 10 mm S/L G40 ISO4565 Cal chain about 2 years ago. At about 20 months I noticed the galvanizing was
deteriorating. By 2 years I was starting to get rust spots. Note we spend half our time on marinas so that would mean the galvanizing a real life span of about 1 year if used continuously? I passed on photos to the supplier who forwarded on to Lofrans who replied with the following:
Dear Mr. Allen,
Please mind that our quality department, which examined the photos you provided for ticket, 1708696, clarified that this level of wear is normal for the time the chain is being used, therefore this case does not have a valid warranty claim.
At your disposal.
Με εκτίμηση / Best Regards,
Andreas Dimitrellos
Lofrans – Maxpower Service Supervisor

See attached photo showing difference between used and unused sections.
We reversed the chain while we had it out.

I would be interested in others experience with galvanizing life span?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lofrans chain.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	298.9 KB
ID:	225647  
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:07   #2

Re: anchor chain galvanizing

Our first chain was European 12mm and it lasted 5 years before it became so rusty it slipped in the gypsy, but we did nothing special to look after it. It was past being re-galvanized. We replaced it with ACCO HT chain in the USA and we looked after that a lot better.
Your chain looks pretty normal to me.
In order to lengthen chain life we put a section of agricultural drainage pipe in the bottom of the anchor locker so all water/mud/sand etc can drain out. Rinse the chain with fresh water after hauling in the anchor, at the very least rinse all mud off with salt water as it is retrieved. If the anchor chain is going to sit unused for a week or more I also used to spray it with WD 40.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 15:15   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Usually new galvo doesn't last 2 yrs., it seems to be very light. You can end for end that chain, and maybe get some wear on the better end. I see you're in Mooloolaba. Iirc, re-galvanize is available in Bundaberg, and also in Brisbane. We've used both; Jim preferred the quality from the guys in Eagle Farm.

I'm very impressed with Bean Counter's care-taking of his chain, I've never known someone who has worked so hard at it.

Ann
Old 25-10-2020, 01:23   #4

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

My cat is very light, but for better sleep between coral heads I wanted 100m 10mm G80 chain. G80 is used for cargo lifting, cranes and that stuff. This company makes snow chains for cars too, the service department was very helpful and they galvanized the anchor chain for me.
2 years later I purchased a rope/chain assembly in US.

The galvanizing had different colors, after only 2 years rust spots and the worst is the thinning in the links bcs abrasion. Although it is not the primary anchor chain.

In the long run the much harder steel pays off, the much more durable galvanizing of a snow chain manufacturer too.

"Yacht" equipment is a synonym for low quality
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 03:47   #5
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

I was looking at the Lofrans chain, but someone told me it is straight out of China and Not Italian chain - When I asked them for a the Full Cert for the chain they gave me some signed document from Lofrans that did not include anything worthwhile - not even country of Manufacture - Said that was all Lofrans would give them.

Cheap Chinese chain, flogged by Lofrans as quality chain is what I have heard.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor