Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2022, 04:55   #61

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have surveyed ...
85 Catalinas
192 Hunters
112 Beneteaus
28 Jeanneaus

On systems installation, build and material quality alone, I believe Hunter and Catalina are superior to Beneteau and Jeanneau.
Wow! Tough to argue with that!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 05:25   #62

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
There are some opinions in this thread that makes me question why I ever come to this forum. Thank God I'm not looking for advice on boat construction or quality.

As an aside the the topic at hand, your comment has merit. Of the focus forums in which I participate, this one has by far the highest ratio of "I didn't read the whole thread to learn that my opinion has already been debunked, but I just gotta say something"

Returning to topic, the OP was about only three manufacturers, and even those limited to a five year span.

It's quite common for replies to go outside the scope of the OP, and with some merit. Why not throw Bavaria into the mix? Why not bring up the B430/432 which predates the OP's timeframe?

But in any event, the three listed manufacturers are the most common in USA, and those most likely procured as used boats for coastal cruising. Thus, it is highly relevant to both new buyers and those looking to get into a used boat. These are not wannabee RTW sailors with no experience, typically the buyers of 30-45' H, C, B have experience but want the skinny on design and fabrication elements; not just the numbers on sailboatdata, but anecdotal insights that owners (and surveyors) can provide.

If one knows how to ignore the frass (a challenge indeed), there are good insights in this thread. Case in point, MicHughV cites a very big consideration worthy of further discussion- the Hunter's swept back rig. We now have such a rig, but with only a month under our belt (before the big freeze) I can't say whether I like it or not; I've always been suspect of it, and clearly it has limitations. For me, the question is how to work around it; for potential buyers, the question is if they even want it.

I like the valuable insights (i.e., those that have value) even though no longer boat shopping. Ultimately, since H, C, B is one of the most common questions (in buyers' minds, even if not posted here) it may make a great sticky if cleansed of rubbish.

Carry on, I'm enjoying!
Old 19-04-2022, 06:22   #63

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

That’s my favourite hull on the planet BoatPoker I like the 53 First version but would miss those comfy seats.

I was checking my systems last year. I noted the 110 outlet boxes would not pass CSA. The two water tanks have alien connectors but everything else seems pretty normal. I had some loose hinges on the lower kitchen doors. turned out to be screws stripping wood so I filled and drilled.
My battery system is totally my fault. Not one original part. The battery charger was donated to a house boat.

I’m happy for the Beneteau Dealer. They are a nice bunch. Nice addition to the city.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 06:29   #64

PS they have a 36 First on order. Costs more than a 40.1. I heard a test sail on one clocking 14knots and ready for more.
There is a 2020 53 First in FLA asking 1.375M. Ouch
Old 19-04-2022, 06:46   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Some years ago now....

I went to the Homestead area after Hurricane Andrew obliterated the place. They had several barges there filled with dozens of sailboats and some powerboats that had sunk, plus many more on land.

It afforded me a close up look of many hulls, as many had been pierced by pilings, docks, masts, neighboring boats, etc.

Across the board there was damage everywhere. No hull stood out to me as being stronger or better built than the next. Cored hulls were pierced or torn apart just as easily as solid hulls.

I have dozens of photo's.

At the time, I had a steel boat, and was glad that I did. Steel, is likely the only material that might have survived this carnage.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 08:00   #66

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtheworld79 View Post
So gents, beyond pointing out all of the inherent bad points of any boat built by Group B in the last 25 years I had also hoped this might be somewhat educational. Educational in the sense that if you own a Group B boat (I know there are more than one here) you might come to understand the flaws in the build quality of your own boat and not push the boundaries. The margin for error in said boats is pretty near zero. One misstep, one rough passage, one hard grounding and that could very well be the end for you.
So the whole point of this thread was to warn us about the dangers of Beneteau boats? You do realize that there are Beneteaus at just about every sailing destination in the world, right? (Hunters and Catalinas too, to be sure) And they didn't just magically appear there. Are they all just incredibly lucky?

Oh, BTW, the keels aren't attached with lag bolts, they're hex-head machine screws inserted into threaded holes in the keel. Just in case there was any confusion.
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 08:01   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailtheworld79 View Post
I’d love to report this post for the sheer douchiness of it! I think I may have just invented a word 😎
LOL I thought you were wordsmithing as well.

This whole thread goes well with coffee and popcorn
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 08:21   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
PS they have a 36 First on order. Costs more than a 40.1. I heard a test sail on one clocking 14knots and ready for more.
There is a 2020 53 First in FLA asking 1.375M. Ouch
The new Benneteau First (Seascape) line of boats as well as some of the older Farr designed First sail incredibly well. The old Farr designed boats appeared to be built to a price point but still many of them around. The new Firsts particularly the 36 are amazing boats and by all accounts very well built by the old Seascape facility. I have seen the smaller 27 in SC trim and in the less expensive First trim both well built.

I love these BG vs Raymarine, Campy vs shimano, threads all these manufacturers have products on a continuum not binary good/bad.
SV-Viento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2022, 09:56   #69

Yes SV I agree. Gives us a better understanding of gear.
I think the most exciting boating news the boldest is the Japanese group literally every brand in the country focusing on hydrogen and electric drive line. The Yamaha/ Toyota Hydrogen V8 Yanmar 3 cylinder 130ho hydrogen etc. Exciting times
The Beneteau First pair are astounding bold fresh. The critiques are gathering spit balls for the 36 I’m sure. The Oceanis version of the 36 will likely be the fastest pocket cruiser built to date. As a Jeanneau lines lover Beneteau finally made something prettier. Normally it has been First hitching a ride on Oceanis hulls. It’s a pleasant switch to let the race design team to get more than a deck and rigging to play with. Let’s debate which 40’ hull they will do next. The 40.1 is rock solid so I think it will be a 44 and the Oceanis version will kill the 46.
Old 22-04-2022, 06:56   #70

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

We looked at many boats before purchasing our Hunter 50, which is slightly updated from the 49. The construction quality and interior wood finish was far superior to anything else we saw in similarly priced boats. It was bigger than we originally planned to buy, but it was so much better built that we couldn’t justify buying one of the other brands. I was amazed at the dissolving particle board interiors and ridiculously shallow bilges we saw in many of the non-Hunter boats we looked at. I guess the uninformed ”anti Hunter bias” seen on many forums may be responsible for keeping these boats priced near the competition, but anyone doing their homework will discover that they are a bargain.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:01   #71

Hey Hunter no longer makes anything but trailer boats. The factory is sold and they are gone.
Catalina and Beneteau are fine.
Can’t we just luft and get along.
Old 22-04-2022, 07:09   #72

I thought when Marlow took over and pumped out too many new models at once it was a bad business model. Apparently a dispute with distribution ended Yacht production. The factory sold to cover debt and the small boat line has been bought I read and relocated. Good luck to the dealers stuck with them.
Old 22-04-2022, 07:14   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Some years ago now....

I went to the Homestead area after Hurricane Andrew obliterated the place. They had several barges there filled with dozens of sailboats and some powerboats that had sunk, plus many more on land.

It afforded me a close up look of many hulls, as many had been pierced by pilings, docks, masts, neighboring boats, etc.

Across the board there was damage everywhere. No hull stood out to me as being stronger or better built than the next. Cored hulls were pierced or torn apart just as easily as solid hulls.

I have dozens of photo's.

At the time, I had a steel boat, and was glad that I did. Steel, is likely the only material that might have survived this carnage.
I had a similar experience, but a little different perspective after Hurricane Irma.

I had a boat in Key West. Many of the newer model boats around mine sunk or were badly damaged. Much of the docks were destroyed.

Mine was an early 70's vintage, where the fiberglass hulls were hand-laid and thicker, and was still floating. A little dinged up, for sure.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:20   #74

We watched as Barvaria pumped out the C line fast in recovery and back off the 65 quickly and hide its hull. No sense flogging a dead horse. They had enough market share to pull it off in the deal category Hunter was in .

I suspect it’s pretty sticky to stay in the game of buildings yachts which could satisfy you fussy €%,¥€rs.
Old 22-04-2022, 07:32   #75

I’ve never seen particle wood in a boat from a boat builder. Not doubting it but never seen it. I’ve seen marine plywood with no edge binding but not particle board.
Laminates have definitely been on a learning curve. Residential and commercial grades pretty tough now. Mostly due to advancements in plastics. I Plastic deck will look like fresh wood 20 years longer than wood.

Tags
catalina, hunter