Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2022, 08:25   #301

Boat: Beneteau 343
Re: Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
How does owning a fine cruising boat like a Beneteau make you ” bad”
I was joking, but it is often implied in these silly threads that your choice of this or that boat is some sort of litmus test or statement of character.
svadagiomaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 08:31   #302

Boat: Beneteau 343

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Agreed.. I've owned 2 Bene's and taken them a across an ocean and they were capable enough.. both a tad smaller than yours.. did the same with an old 1983 Hunter 37c.
Good to hear. I got caught out in close 7-8’ seas and that was enough for me but the boat was fine. I am sure I could get my boat across the Atlantic in the right conditions but if I was doing that I might personally sell it and fit out a pacific seacraft or similar with more waterline.
svadagiomaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 10:16   #303

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by svadagiomaine View Post

The boat is easy to sail, easy to maintain, and DRY. I don’t want to cross oceans, if I did I would buy another boat, and not a catalina 34 or h36.
This point of use case is often missed in the discussion and thinking. Given that all boats are full of compromises such as sea kindliness, speed, comfort below, ease of use, cost, draft, size, and many other elements, it really is what properties matter to you most.
Old 26-10-2022, 10:33   #304

Yup, have owned and sailed both Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37' (lots of miles) and a Catalina 350 as well as many others over the last 40 years.

VERY different boats, but found that both did the job they were designed for, and did it well.

The Crealock is not comfortable for 4, the Catalina 350 is.

The Catalina 350 is certainly not as seakindly as the Crealock, particularly in following sea.

Best advice is to be realistic in how you will be using the boat and buy accordingly. Not everyone (actually less than 1%) "need" a boat designed for circumnavigation.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 12:07   #305
CLOD

Boat: none

Every boat is lacking in design unless at the minimum it can transform into a helicopter when desired.
Old 26-10-2022, 14:06   #306

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Every boat is lacking in design unless at the minimum it can transform into a helicopter when desired.

Yup, suspect many of us have wished for that a time or two. Haven't experienced it yet. Have always gotten over the disappointment.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2022, 15:45   #307

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

We are such an easily offended sensitive bunch I guess. We should be more like our dogs. All boat brands have an evolution, the odd lemon, an award winner. Most boat manufactures who fail have been from bad management not bad boats. Some screwed by their own government via a rip off trade deal.
Beneteau is old and have way more fans than foes.
Donzi is on its 6th owner but still produces 3 original classics from the first owner. The Sweet 16 a rare wet ski boat classic but you can still buy a brand new 18 for $80k or so. I’ve read lawn chair boaters in forums share their disgust with them. Fun stuff to read and I maintain we need stupid people so don’t discourage them. Who gives a flying Donzi what they think of your boat anyway.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 13:11   #308

Boat: 2004 Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Maybe look at a different prop? My Hunter has a Campbell Sailor and I swear prop walk in reverse is almost non-existent. But that could just be me.

https://westbynorth.com/campbell-sailer/
So prop walk isnt my issue, spacing at my slip is. 36 ft off the my slip is another dock which is perpendicular. I have very little room to starboard backing out. When I set up to back in the front end swings quickly activating emergency pucker mode. I have been practicing with 2 different approaches.

1) Plan for the front end to do its thing and be angled to handle. (That seems to be a great idea, but harder to implement.

2) Backup further and be brave and not put it in neutral until I have 1/2 in. (Also seems awesome, but the pucker factor is strong).

I'll keep you posted or send pics of me smashing into stuff.
wpatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter