Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 20:08   #1

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop
Pearson 35 center board

I have a real problem with the center board on my Pearson 35 sticking! It simply refuses to come down. I have cleaned around it when out of water and we managed to pry it loose and lifted it up and down several times until it seemed to be free. We pressure washed around it and all seemed well. Put the boat back in the water and attempted to lower it and it would not go down. We have never been able to sail with it down! Help!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 21:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Pearson 35 center board

The only thing holding the board up is the pennant if it's working properly. The center board trunk is quite wide so would take a pretty good sized lump to jam it in position. Did have some marine growth hold mine up for about a minute but the wake from a passing boat freed it up before I could pull out of the slip. If you haven't already done it, be sure the winch isn't frozen but that would be a long shot. Assume you made certain there was nothing in the trunk that could jamb the board up when you had the boat on the hard. Suppose if you are using a wire pendant that broken strands might hang up the board. That's doubtful as the board is pretty heavy and would take a hell of a jamb to keep it from dropping.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 03:07   #3

I think you need a hail out and a proper job. Reno e the board completely and inspect the cable, truck, pin and all the workings. But, seems odd to me. Those are fairly heavy. Will it come down if one person is on the winch and another in the water urging it down?
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 18:54   #4

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Agree with Roverhi
that is a very heavy centerboard so the only way it would stay stuck (assuming no marine growth) is if the pennant or sheaves or the block are getting stuck along the way. If it isn't a frayed line, it could be that the splice is getting caught on something?

There is space for the cable splice to fit into when the CB is u0, a small tapered-end tube. I had wanted to do a proper wire cable splice that was tapered and served, which would fit in there -- but I just went with a couple of saddle clamps. I hope they hold. But I guess they could catch hang up on something too.

- SailingWhimsy.com
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2017, 19:32   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Aside from what's already been mentioned, it could be that the pin is bent. Or worse, one of the fittings which an end of the pin rests in has been maimed enough so that the pin is severely canted. Enough so that the board won't move freely. But in either case, such a problem would best be addressed (much) sooner rather than later. Especially if any of those fittings are below the waterline, with only a thin skin between them & the inside of the vessel. Wouldn't want'em leaking, especially if you're not onboard. Or for the board to start the pin to work around significantly in any kind of moderate to large seas... with resulting leaks, again (or worse).

A bit paranoid maybe, but I'm unfamilar with how the pin setup on this boat is constructed & where it's located. Besides, the best "wet" bilges are ones filled with cases of well corked vintage wine & rum

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2017, 15:54   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Doubtful that the pin is bent and even if it was would restrict movement of the board. Pin is a large piece of bronze/ss rod approximately 1" diameter or larger spanning just the width of the C/B trunk. So well supported it would probably tear out before deforming.

Changed out the wire C/B pennant to Dyneema with a spliced eye to shackle to the board. The additional diameter of the line from the buried tail hangs up in the turning block in the bilge. Can't get the board all the way up though mostly with a few inches hanging down. Would stick with Nico Press eye if you continue to use wire or an unspliced tail with brummel splices if you go with a synthetic. You can't have much of a length of thickening of the pendant before it hangs up before the board is fully up.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 04:53   #7

Hello. I am looking at buying a Pearson 35 1973. Survey was done two years ago. Shows the stainless steel center board pendant has parted?? I am looking for a diagram of this system and advice on fixing this.
Justinislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 06:35   #8

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinislander View Post
Hello. I am looking at buying a Pearson 35 1973. Survey was done two years ago. Shows the stainless steel center board pendant has parted?? I am looking for a diagram of this system and advice on fixing this.
Sailing Whimsy: Centerboard cable reconnected

This is a basic fix and common issue, needs a new cable run down to the CB.
BUT should not be taken lightly -- this is a hole in your boat after all.

Problems arise if the tubes and sheaves along the way are blocked or damaged or if the axle pin has issues. Pennant need a good connection to the CB, corrossion chafe and marine growth is an issue. Some owners "lock" the CB up permanently.

It may be a good idea to take a pipewrench and disconnect the tubes, clean and replace. I'd call that a low-intermediate difficulty project for a new owner and won't be expensive. Normally you'd be burning $100 bills at the same time. That's called "boat repair".
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 09:06   #9

Ya the seller has toled me it was repaired. But I am walking away. I can't buy somthing from someone who acts like a dbag at every question I ask like in not about to put money in his hand. He is telling me he is building a 280 foot fishing boat but can't tell me one thing about his boat for sail. Not one thing and it is cheap a fixeruper but not one system actually was functional. Thanks for your help.
Justinislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2020, 09:14   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinislander View Post
Ya the seller has toled me it was repaired. But I am walking away. I can't buy somthing from someone who acts like a dbag at every question I ask like in not about to put money in his hand. He is telling me he is building a 280 foot fishing boat but can't tell me one thing about his boat for sail. Not one thing and it is cheap a fixeruper but not one system actually was functional. Thanks for your help.

Good gut instinct to walk away (run). Too many other good used boats out there to buy someones junk/project they are trying to hustle you in purchasing.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson