Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2008, 21:58   #1

WA to Hawaii to Sea of Cortez

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. Looks like a great place to share and mostly learn. I've been bareboat chartering for a number of years and am now in the process of finding a suitable cruiser. My question at the moment is given prevailing currents, winds, and storm seasons, what is the best route and time of the year to sale from the San Juans in Washington to Hawaii and after exploring the Hawaiian Islands then sailing on to the Sea of Cortez. No particular time frame as we plan on a year or so.
chkrhntr1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 01:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
You might consider the alternative of heading S. to Sea of Cortez first, then W. to Hawaii.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 06:37   #3

i agree..going that route would be like a non stop rugby match. Bruised , battered and exhausting. What is your estimated departure date? I would think that November south to Cabo and no later than March first to Hawaii. Get a "Jimmy book"
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 06:46   #4

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
I would agree with the suggestions above to use the prevailing currents and do your south leg first, then use the trades to head to HI. Your biggest challenge will be the return to Seattle if you are returning with the boat here. That's where you will have some decisions to make; north to 48 and then east or head to Alaska then down the coast. Both will be upwind on the northward leg, you probably won't want to leave HI until May-June or so.

Sounds like a great trip that I want to make one day.

John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 07:39   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
The typical time frame is to leave the PNW after the summer cruising season and then head down the coast. Depart San Diego at the end of Oct begining of Nov. Head for Hawaii before March 1st to avoid the Mexican cyclone season. Then make you way over the North Pacific High and end back in PNW. This route will maxamize your down wind time. The route that you are contemplating will be alot more work then what myself and others have adviced here.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 08:15   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Having done the Baja Bash myself. I would suggest getting to the sea of Cortez, and then off to Hawaii in early June, and then to Washington..........
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:50   #7

Thanks for your reply and advice. What is the "Jimmie Book"?
Old 22-03-2008, 21:59   #8

Thanks all. The kind of info I was looking for. We'll plan to go clockwise instead of counter. Also, guess I have to figure this Forum out. Didn't mean to post this under the "Pets" category.
Old 22-03-2008, 22:58   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chkrhntr1945 View Post
Thanks for your reply and advice. What is the "Jimmie Book"?
"World Cruising Routes" by Jimmy Cornell. This book describes the popular routes between locations all over the world, discusses the seasonal weather issues and suggests departure windows. I think it's a valuable reference.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 08:52   #10

Noonsite: The global site for cruising sailors This should be a good site for you to work it from

Steve
Steve Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 09:17   #11

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We left Seattle in late August and after a straight shot to San Francisco, we took our time harbor hopping to San Diego. Most of the weather was good with a prevailing Northwest wind. We went out to the 60 mile mark (more or less). If you go out that far, keep a sharp eye out for fast moving ships.

We left SD around Nov 1st for Mexico. After several years of cruising up and down Mexico's West coast, we trucked the boat back to Seattle.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 12:07   #12

Chkrhntr1945,

What ever you decide...

DO NOT MISS time in the Sea of Cortez! And make it more than just a month or so.

We have met a number of people who have been sailing for over 15 years and have been around the world at least once who say the Sea IS the best cruising there is!

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 16:11   #13

no later than Sept for the west coast south...

I agree with Mexico first, after that you'll wonder why you wanted to go to hawaii anyway... although coming back it may be worth it..... unless you motor fast...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2008, 18:25   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I agree with Mexico first, after that you'll wonder why you wanted to go to hawaii anyway... although coming back it may be worth it..... unless you motor fast...
I don't understand your headline "no later than Sept for the west coast south. . . " unless you mean the west coast of British Columbia.

The Baja Ha-Ha, for example, departs for Mexican waters ~Halloween each year.

TaoJones
Old 29-03-2008, 10:24   #15

yea..clarification

I guess the West Coast is pretty general. I was thinking North of San Francisco or so... San Diego.. no problem. Wash, Oregon, Northern Cal get pretty darn rough for extended periods. Sometimes Oct is a lamb, but I wouldnt count on it! Strong winds and 30 foot waves are common and it seems like recent years it's been really bad. Some do it no doubt, others turn tail and head in to port to sell the boat! It's called the graveyard of the Pacific for a reason I guess.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea of cortez