Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 19:36   #31
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40
Re: Need help for Food on sailing trip

Interesting thread.....

My 2 cents after spending 8-9 months with only a backpack on, I have to say the Bear Creek line is great. I used alot of flour, refined, corn and wheat, rice, beans and a bunch of pasta. One thing I started watching was protien, it's hard to get enough of a balance when burning 3-3500 cals a day.

Now fast fwd couple years, living aboard and I'm basically eating the same! Been 6 months since a pint of ice cream passed the hatch, and a fresh salad is a delicacy.

You can be amazed what you can do with oatmeal, corn mush, raisins , honey and such. Spices to live by are cinnamon and basil for me.

I started studying some old books on the foods of the indigenous people and found a wealth of info, and was amazed.

Whatever works for you, variety helps.

With that and 2 cents you can get...........well nothing. enjoy
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 20:42   #32

NO! No oatmeal! If you make me oatmeal for breakfast I will rip out your juvenile heart with my Swedish fid and fry it up with the eggs and tortillas you were supposed to cook for me. But you could make some nice, fat oatmeal cookies at home and bring them along for snacks if you like. Or granola cookies! That would be even better. Except don't put raisins in them! If you put raisins in my cookies, I will wrap your teenage feet in an Alpine butterfly and haul you up by the main halyard until every raisin is removed from every cookie, as you hang upside down.

Bread and lunchmeat and potato salad at noontime. Oranges are good too. Especially before getting seasick. It's nice to have something light like oranges in your stomach before wretching miserably about in the scuppers. And potato chips. There's something about salty, salty, potato chips to heal the overstressed abdominals. After purging that is, not before!

Lots and lots of noodles for dinner. The tough part is having enough boiling water to last thru ten minutes of cooking. Talk to the ship's engineer about that. Just throw something wet and gooey on the noodles, like mushroom or cheese soup or tomato paste or chili or whatever and you have a winner.

Some Hydrox cookies, and carefully-apportioned amounts of beef jerky for anchor watches, and you'll do fine.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 20:57   #33

Well, lookit that! This thread is from last year, and he never got back with us about how things went.

I suspect it was the oatmeal that got him
Old 10-02-2015, 21:42   #34
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post

I suspect it was the oatmeal that got him
Damn Oatmeal......
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 00:12   #35

Boat: Spacesailer 20

Oatmeal is a curse word in my house.

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:22   #36

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
lunchmeat
'Lunchmeat'?
Would that involve parts of the pig that have no name, 'mechanicaly separated' chicken and such?

Not for me....
But I agree re the noodles.....I'll stick to my 3 minute noodles ( indon or Korean) fortified with Louisiana Hot Sauces and the like to keep my lower colon in good shape....
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
'Lunchmeat'?
Would that involve parts of the pig that have no name, 'mechanicaly separated' chicken and such? ...
Yeah! They're kids. This is probably the first time they've been out of the sight of their neurotic vegan mommies. Give 'em some food to eat!
Old 13-02-2015, 05:57   #38

Ahhh but a meal of oil soaked sardines, Vienna sausages and crackers will make them turn a bright green and help to feed the local fish population.

I'd really like to know how it went.

(SIGH)
I'd rather be sailing.
Old 13-02-2015, 06:11   #39

Boat: Skookum 53'

I had read the whole thread before realizing how old it was. For the northern waters, I vote for hot and greasy. Premade goes a long way. The instant noodles are okay for a snack, but really don't nourish you. On some recent crossings, I bought the premade main dishes, and while I receive the standard "Who's going to eat that stuff?" line from the crew, about two days into rough weather those things found their way into the oven. And the hot pockets disappeared.
Old 13-02-2015, 07:05   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I had read the whole thread before realizing how old it was. For the northern waters, I vote for hot and greasy. Premade goes a long way. The instant noodles are okay for a snack, but really don't nourish you. On some recent crossings, I bought the premade main dishes, and while I receive the standard "Who's going to eat that stuff?" line from the crew, about two days into rough weather those things found their way into the oven. And the hot pockets disappeared.
Hot pockets! Hee hee! Misery is a great teacher.
Old 13-02-2015, 07:51   #41

I prefer to eat 'homemade' but some stand-bys are really good to have on hand if the cook is down. My wife and I love to try new things and keep away from canned if possible but a can of Dinty-Less (as she calls it) with a little bit of chilli sauce, salsa or Worcestershire sauce can hit the spot when it needs to be quick and filling. We haven't done these on the open ocean yet, so I have no idea how the stuff will be on the stomach in the roll.

In 'OZ' they have this wondrous thing called a JAFFLE (AKA Panini) that is essentially a homemade 'Hot PocketŪ'. With this you can choose what goes into you and make it fresh. We used to make these when I'd go camping as a kid and actually have a campfire panini maker I got at a garage sale. Some bread, a couple of tortillas the filling of your choice and a few minutes over a medium flame and you have a hot, hand warming, delicious and nourishing meal! Its hard to beat em.

I looked for an Icon to represent my feelings about HotpocketsŪ, but I couldn't find one for 'Chuckin'.
Old 21-02-2015, 13:47   #42

We keep a supply of good canned meats. They last forever and taste good while not taking up freezer or frig space. These allow home cooked meals very quickly. The bacon looks expensive, but it is cooked and it goes a long way. Below is who I have used, but there are lots of them. We also use the canned cheese and butter. I suggest you mix this with local acquired fair to mix it up some.

http://www.internet-grocer.net/realmeat.html

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2015, 13:58   #43
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Make a ton of sandwiches ahead of time, preferably things that keep well without ice such as grainy bread with good quality cheese. Put them in the fold-over plastic sandwich bags and the kids can just grab and eat without touching them with hands that might not be very clean.

Bring big thermoses to fill when you have the stove or fire going. Then you'll always be able to make hot cocoa, instant soup, bouillon without lighting the stove. This is a great topic but so much depends on what equipment you have.

Tags
food, sail, sailing