Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 16:34   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore '38 - "God Willing"
Hi there MaDouler. It's funny, I bought that '38 Offshore that you were talking about on another thread.

However, regarding "Stuff"..... less is better. Yet, I've got a storage bin with a kitchen table, sectional couch, 4 boxes of clothes, 3 boxes of kitchen items, at least 10 boxes of I don't know what and can't remember, the tools include a table saw, radial arm saw, drill press, band saw, Snap-on roll cabinet, an air conditioner, bikes, outdoor equipment, 20 boxes of books, 3 more boxes of financial papers, and god only knows what else, all stored in a 10x15 foot storage bin. Also there's a book case, side tables, a box of non perishable food items, and bedding. All of which was moved into storage yesterday. The plan is to live here in the barracks on base, then also live onboard the boat as it's re-fitted, then sail in October for who knows how long.

Philosophically, stuff is bad for the soul. Some say rid yourself of stuff, move forward, and leave no posessions ashore. Yet, I'm not able to part with over 20 years of accumulated things. Lots was throw out, some donated, some re-cycled, and most was stupidly kept. All told the storage cost is likely equal to what I'd get off ebay and c-list for it all, say $144 a month for 18 months. However, the replacement cost for all that is likely 10,000 dollars. Keep your house and your stuff, find the boat, get a job and save more money. James Wharram is the king of cruising philosophers. His approach is to home build a "native" cat from plywood/epoxy, and to keep a job and build synchronized with your income. Buying a cheaper boat that needs work can also be the way to go. However, I do not predict that the proceeds from selling regular household stuff will net enough capital to purchase much at all. Definitely, the proceeds from an average home, execpt for the largest and most extravagant homes, won't help a bit in purchasing and re-fitting even an run about. Right?
usa-068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:06   #32

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
A real truism posted on this thread is 'you're not camping' so buy/keep some real glass wine and spirit glasses (beer's fine from the bottle/can) and stow them aboard; we don't use them on passage, but they make all the difference when you're sat in the cockpit at sundown and we're appalled by the number of spectacularly big/fancy yachts that use plastic. Storage: 3" diameter drainage pipe/drawing tube with plastic end caps and interspace each glass with a scrunched-up polythene carrier bag; we've not broken one (whilst stowed) in five years.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:54   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
'you're not camping' so buy/keep some real glass wine and spirit glasses
I like that

I don't like plastic plates and cups, but really hate plastic glass

Not done the world girdling others have - but have always used "real" crockery onboard over many many years. Breakages? very rare. Not from the rough stuff but from carelessness (aka stupidity ). Have lost more mugs overboard (unlike plastic, they sink!) than anything breaking. Of course I am not using fine china. And quite happy to drink from a bottle, apart from when drinking wine Nor have I been onboard a vessel that has rolled where I am sure broken crockery / glass could be an issue - but I figure feck it - life's too short to worry about everything
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:50   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I guess I am just trailer trash.
I have no problem with plastic, even in my home.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:46   #35
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
lol trailer trash..
Old 24-08-2008, 13:30   #36

Send a message via AIM to spunkymelos
Good luck with Craigs list and ebay.

If you plan on having the pressure cooker at sea, it might be worthwhile to spend an afternoon or two testing out different recipes and uses in a stable kitchen. Good Luck with your endeavor!

-The Aquaknot
spunkymelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 08:33   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunkymelos View Post
Good luck with Craigs list and ebay.

If you plan on having the pressure cooker at sea, it might be worthwhile to spend an afternoon or two testing out different recipes and uses in a stable kitchen. Good Luck with your endeavor!
If you find yourself shopping for a pressure cooker, a once-in-a-lifetime purchase, it may not make much sense trying to save a few dollars by buying a used one at a garage sale or on websites like Craigs List.

Pressure cookers were re-engineered in the mid 1980s, and the new "second generation" cookers are much to be preferred because they are safer and easier to use. Avoid purchasing one of the old Presto brand cookers with the jiggling weight on top of the cooker. Purchase only stainless steel version, and look for the ones with the thick double-clad bottoms for better heat distribution.

There are literally thousands of pressure cooker recipes. Just go to the iNternet and use the search term "pressure cooker recipes," and you will have more recipes than you can cook in a lifetime. Pressure cooking on the go in a sail boat, especially when going foreign, has some special challenges and if you are looking for recipes that are tried-and-true for sailboats, then check out www.gourmetunderway.com.

Fair winds,

Robbie Johnson, S/V Tahiti Rover
Tahiti Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 18:52   #38

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC
Guitars

The best guitars for a boat are the 100% carbon fiber guitars made by Composite Acoustics or Rainsong. These are high end guitars that sound fantastic. They are not affected by heat and humidity and are also very strong. I will have one on my boat.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 01:56   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Miss Vickie's Guide is the very best single on-line resource To Modern Pressure Cookery:
Miss Vickie's Guide to Modern Pressure Cookery

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote