Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2019, 04:48   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Bread Making on board

@dmksails: Bread is happiest rising at about 84 deg. F. How I created this environment is to let it rise in the oven, and heat the oven with water that I boil in my smallest saucepan and put in the oven with the dough in the bowl, and replenish frequently, as needed. Same, as it's raising int he baking pan. This works for me. Also, sometimes, if it's a sunny day, there's a warm enough place under the dodger, out of the wind and in the sun.

@mlarson: I have successfully made pressure cooker bread. Why don't you start your own thread about that? Or, if you prefer, state exactly what the problems were that you had, and maybe someone can help you.

For instance, one thing I learned was that I didn't like the pale colored top of that bread, but you can turn it over and brown the top so that it is uniform.

Sometimes the yeast gets old and doesn't work as well. What happens is that some of the yeastie beasties are dead, so it takes longer for them to multiply enough to release CO2, to raise the bread. You can either add yeast, or 1/2 tsp. sugar as food for them, and add to t he mix.

If the dough takes cold, you can warm it, and knead in more yeast dissolved in water, and if you keep it warm, it will rise. Cold makes the yeast inactive, but doesn't kill it, it is merely inactive at refrigerator temperatures, so it can be resuscitated.

Ann
Old 12-11-2019, 06:14   #32

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

On our boat we do combinations of sour dough and no knead bread. Hard to beat the flavor of the sour dough though

The no knead bread is something we mix up, then store in a container in the fridge for 7-10 days. The longer it sits in the fridge, the more flavor it develops. It's easy to pluck out as much as you want to make a couple of rolls or a mini loaf and have crusty fresh bread w/the meal.

The sour dough rye bread is a favorite, but does take 2 days advance planning to get it ready. The first day is mixing the yeast/flour together and allow to sit for up to 24hrs to ferment and develop the sour flavor. The next day is the kneading part, more sitting and baking. It sounds like a lot of work but in reality its more sitting than actual physical working. The end reward are crusty loaves w/a great sour taste.

While not for me, one could fake a sour dough in a bread machine by adding citric acid. I find it rewarding to do a little bit of work for something that tastes great, but then again we like to cook.

The biggest downside it tastes so good you want to eat it too often and you know what eventually happens when you eat too much carbs.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 08:46   #33

Boat: 44'8" North Pacific Pilothouse Trawler

Buy a piece of 20 or 30 mil vinyl cut to size for your table. Knees directly upon it, or put a sheet, abailable from King Arthur Flour on to. Knees to your hearts content.

We leave the 39 mil on ours all the time because nothing slides off when we rock and roll.

Happy bread making.
Glacier Crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 09:58   #34

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier Crews View Post
Buy a piece of 20 or 30 mil vinyl cut to size for your table. Knees directly upon it, or put a sheet, abailable from King Arthur Flour on to. Knees to your hearts content.

We leave the 39 mil on ours all the time because nothing slides off when we rock and roll.

Happy bread making.

Similarly we use a large silicone mat. Can easily be cut to size, inexpensive, non slip and easy to store.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I agree with others that a bread maker is a great asset aboard. We use a Zojirushi which is the gold standard, baking a loaf horizontally and with two paddles for kneading.

The dough programs are great for when you need pizza dough or want to make artisan style bread, round shapes etc.

Just for kneading alone it is worth it to invest in money and storage space aboard.

Here’s an important point: when power is interrupted, the program must not reset or you will be throwing away dough batches. The Zojirushi keeps the program going.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 12:48   #36

Boat: 2020 Lagoon 42

Really glad to find this post. The wife and I love all kinds of breads and we have a bread maker on board our sailboat. I'm just venturing out with diy, so Im soaking up all the good advice I can. We make quick bread in our 6qt Instant pot that comes out pretty good and I can make a basic loaf by hand ok, but Im wanting to branch out to more than plain vanilla type breads. This is fun!

John
LostBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2019, 14:37   #37

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8

Find a stainless steel container with lid that will fit in your pressure cooker on top of a low rack. Use pressure cooker as normal with water. I haven't done yeast bread but turned out many excellent tasting cornbread and other fast rise breads to perfection (if you're okay with no crust).
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
We use an oil cloth - a 'real' one, not a piece of vinyl. They are expensive if you can find one. We also bake in our pressure cooker as we have no oven, and to date, with at least a half-dozen tries, have yet to turn out a decent loaf of bread. Practice makes perfect though! Best of luck.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 06:36   #38

Boat: Back Cove 33

I use a big 2 gal zip lock bag to knead and then rise. Grease it first. Keeps everything contained. I also use an Omnio stove top oven. It cooks in what looks like a Bundt pan and works well.
Adiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 06:57   #39

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

We use a half-sheet sized silpat to kneed. We cook on quarter-sheet pans or in loaf pans.

We see a King Arthur doug whisk to mix in a stainless bowl and then kneed 5-10 minutes on our kitchen counter on top of the silpat.

We are in the Virgin Islands and it is hot here. I do an overnight cold dough ferment in the refrigerator and then finish in the baking pan when we are ready to cook. I love the flavor of a long-fermented bread.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 07:14   #40

Folksy Super Kitchen makes a non slip silicone mat for dough making. It can be rolled up for easy storage but lays flat when unrolled. You can place over counters so as not to get flour in the crevices and your fiddles would keep in place... from pictures, it appears you may be on a Tayana. We are on Tayana 42. It also appears you are a northern boat because I also see a heater in pictures. Rising should not be an issue though may take longer.
I love making bread on our boat! On short trips though, I confess I keep frozen dough rolls in freezer. Tayana freezers are big enough for a dead body! and put the balls into a muffin tin, let rise and bake them into mushroom shaped dinner rolls!
Scarlettn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 07:36   #41

I have made a no knead bread for over ten years in my Dutch oven and it is simple and delicious. Is it the best bread ever. When hot and fresh I have never had any complaints, and on day two if there is any left I think it is just fine. It has never lasted longer than that.
Coloradosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 07:45   #42

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

If you can store it, a bread maker works well. No fuss, no mess.
Old 18-11-2019, 07:47   #43

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettn View Post
Folksy Super Kitchen makes a non slip silicone mat for dough making. It can be rolled up for easy storage but lays flat when unrolled.
Thanks for the tip. I was looking for a larger silpat.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 08:39   #44

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

Artisan wet dough reigns! Bake in a cast iron Dutch oven in regular oven, use one with “nipples” on the inner side of the lid, as they accumulate moisture and it drips on the loaf making excellent crust!!! Check internet for various recipes, whip up multiple loaves and refrigerate for up to a week, and bake a fresh loaf as needed.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2019, 08:49   #45

No knead bread is the best way to go. I use it all the time and the result is just fabulous.
CaptJDK is offline   Reply With Quote