Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2018, 10:11   #31

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: How Far Have You Sailed?

It's about 6900Nm far from anywhere anyone can sail on this planet. Any further and it'll be closer again..

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 13:19   #32

Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Dana, 24
Send a message via ICQ to EveningTide

All of this has been fun to read. I have owned only one sea boat and always kept a log and just for the fun of it. Old sailor (retired) and single-handed. Never expected to go very far but sailed when I had time and weather allowed. My rule for logging is distance through the water and on the West Coast you spend a lot of time beating upwind. Many miles through the water even if you don't get very far (maybe must use the motor). Maximum distance north or south only 300 nm. Usually 2200 miles per year. Anchored hundreds of time from SF Bay to Catalina. Grand total about 31,000 miles and my game is over. Boat now for sale.
EveningTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 13:28   #33
cruiser

To answer the original question: I heard a rather alarming statistic today out of Germany which indicated that there are more people over the age of 80 out sailing than people under the age of 30. Alarming to say the least for the marine industry. So I can conclude, that most people aren’t traveling very far at all... if at all via sailing vessels.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2018, 13:30   #34

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Never kept track but not that much. My guess would be a few thousand miles. Mostly done in less then 50-75 mile increments. I'm just a weekend sailor and honestly not much of that in the last 10 years. Nights at anchor Probably in the 100-150 range. Life gets in the way a bit.
Old 19-05-2018, 00:15   #35

Boat: Dynamique 80

Around 140,000 miles, mostly single handed.

I bought Pawnee in Guadeloupe in 2000.

Since then she has done the following trips, avoiding hurricane seasons;

2000: Guadaloupe, Florida, Panama, Galapagos, Easter Island, Chile, Chilean channels.
2002. Chile, Pitcairn, Tahiti, Cooks, Tonga, Fiji.
2003: Fiji, Galapagos, Panama., Dominican Republic, Venezuela, Antigua, St Maarten.
2004: St. Lucia, Germany, Baltic sea, Canaries, Cape Verdes, Caribbean.
2005. St Maarten, Mediterranean, Greece, Istambul, Black sea, Ukraine, Italy, Spain, Canaries, Caribbean.
2007: St Maarten, Fortaleza, Rio, Caribbean.
2008: Caribbean circuit - ABC islands, Mexico Bay Islands, Cuba.
2009: Solo round the world - Panama, Peru, Tahiti, Cooks, Tonga, Solomons, Malaysia, Thailand, Mauritius, Madagascar, S. Africa, St. Helena, Brazil, Guiana, Caribbean.
2014/15: St Maarten, Uruguay direct, Buenas aires, Southern Ocean at 45S, S. Africa, St Helena, Brazil, Grenada.
2017/18: Caribbean, Faroe Isles, Bergen Norway, Ireland, Canaries, Senegal, Gambia, Cape Verdes, Caribbean.

Getting a bit long in the tooth now so the boat is up for sale (see Classifieds forum).

If I don't get any offers I will probably sail her back to Oz.

Aussienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:33   #36

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

My best estimate is around 400-500k (I ship commercially). I was doing 3,000 miles every 2 weeks, with 2 weeks off for 4 years. I don't miss the long runs anymore. I agree with some of the sentiment above, I tend to tune out anyone who needs to tell everyone how much experience they have.

A old bosun told me early on that experience was not having to tell everyone how experienced they were.
Old 26-05-2018, 19:49   #37

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Going by marina charges for catamarans, your miles should be multiplied by x1.5 - 1.75.
Just FYI, I have owned a 33 ft long by 20 ft wide cat for twelve years, cruised the Gulf of Mexico from Texas to Florida, and down thru Bahamas and back. Stayed at many marinas. I have never paid more for our catamaran than a similar-length monohull. Not once. Rates are typically charged per foot of LOA, plus sometimes electric. Cats just tend to be put on long docks, T-heads - one-side ties typically not preferred by monohulls. That may change eventually in the US, but for now - in my experience - the Gulf Coast marinas typically do not charge a premium for cat vs monohull.

(And yes, I know someone is going to come up with a Gulf Coast example that says otherwise, but its just never happened to me in 12 years, and as I stated in my experience is not "typical".)
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 03:59   #38

Well, I don't own a boat. But, I've sailed about 15,000 crewing. Two trips Texas to Florida, Fiji to Brisbane, Panama to the Galapagos and Cape Town to Annapolis Md.
Plus hundreds of thousands of arm chair sailing; I guess that doesn't count. I plan on retiring in 9 years when I'm 80, kicking out what kids are left in the house, selling the farm and doing it full time. That is, if my wife will let me.
Old 27-05-2018, 04:14   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

We keep track of where we have been and notes on how the trip was, but we don't log miles as there doesn't appear to be a need to know. So I guess we have 0 miles.
Old 27-05-2018, 04:47   #40
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I didn't know it was a competition. Gee, sailboat people are competitive.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 06:23   #41
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
I didn't know it was a competition. Gee, sailboat people are competitive.

Any question can be taken as a competition, I guess.

I saw it as an opportunity for local sailors to recognize, just for themselves, that they may have sailed farther than they realize.
Old 27-05-2018, 06:42   #42

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

My wife and I are about 3,000 miles short of completing our circumnavigation and have logged more than 47,000 miles since we left California in 2010. How many miles we sailed prior to that will be forever unknown but we did sail to mainland Mexico 7 times and one trip included a return to California via Hawaii and Alaska.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:24   #43

I haven't logged any miles.
My couch doesn't move, my computer is stationary.
I hardly ever go anywhere.
I prefer to let people to determine if my experience means anything by what they think of what I say.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 12:43   #44

Boat: LAGOON 400

We have done 4800 NM in 3.5 years while working, and boat just crossed 20,000 NM.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 13:10   #45

I've never logged miles but I spent a ton of time hanging off the sides of a C-Scow and been up and down the east coast a few times. Currently I'm planning on heading to Europe,Med and the Black Sea. I'm just not sure about my current boat so I'm looking to go up a few ft.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail