Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2021, 03:30   #31

Boat: McBride 41
Re: Best knot to tie to a loop under pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrainer View Post
the knot you want is a rolling hitch. Easy to tie and untie under tension. Holds fine. Good enough for the Navy, good enough for me.

located at 12:39
For those of you with short attention spans, the rolling hitch is described commencing at 12 minutes, 39 seconds into the presentation.
You have to put up with American vocabulary but I’m sure you’ll cope.
SimonFirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:49   #32

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I agree with above. Simple truckers knot is fine
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 15:20   #33

I would use a bowline, it’s what we use to tie off boats to trees in hurricanes, we survived two hurricanes in 2020 in Louisiana, all boats made it and all bowlines held. The best part is they are easy to untie.
Navigator33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 15:30   #34

You cannot tie a bowline on a rope that is under pressure.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 16:32   #35

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
When I first saw the way they do it, I was honestly amazed that they trust that arrangement. But hey, far be it from me to criticize what an Aussie trucker does!

Here's an example:

Is it just me, or did he end up creating a sheepshank knot to shorten the rope and create the loop for the 2:1 pull? That would certainly explain the sketchiness of it!

For securing a line under load, you're pretty much limited to some variation of a round turn to hold the tension in order to add whichever hitches will provide the final security. It's a bit overkill, but the Radium Release Hitch is another example of a knot designed to work under load.

Simplest example: a round turn and two half hitches for a fender knot. The round turn has more than enough friction to holding a fender in position while you add the half hitches. For a heaver load a few more turns would be sufficient for the job. (Just as how a winch works.)

The truckers hitch doesn't use a round turn, but the extra pass through the loop provides 2:1 leverage for tightening the rope, and probably adds equivalent friction. Note that like the fender knot, it too will be secured with a pair of half hitches.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 17:05   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Is it just me, or did he end up creating a sheepshank knot to shorten the rope and create the loop for the 2:1 pull? That would certainly explain the sketchiness of it!
Yep Aussie truckers frequently use a sheepshank for the loop when tying down cargo. It's OK as long as the lashings are tight and there is a constant load on the the system, but not reliable if load is intermittent.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 08:04   #37

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
not reliable if load is intermittent.
And just keep in mind - if you're bouncing down the road, the load will be intermittent.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2021, 08:59   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
And just keep in mind - if you're bouncing down the road, the load will be intermittent.
Intermittent and variable are two different things.

When properly securing things like the bales in the video, the load may be variable, but it will not be intermittent and the quick and easy "sheepshank loop" works fine.

Not that I'd use it, but it is used successfully every day by thousands of truckies
Old 09-11-2021, 06:20   #39

Boat: Motor Banka 98 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcid View Post
Ah perfect - the trucker's hitch is what I was looking for. Thanks!!
Cheers LittleWing77
If you have the line available you can put enough "Hay Hauler" knots in the line to pull it in two. If you pull a double loop through the pull line. Then put a double twist in the main line, and a double half hitch (looped line), it's easy to untie. Then keep repeating that process you can literally pull your haul line in two. Remember the law of squares, every loop you add squares the pulling force on your haul line. Food for thought. Hope this helps.
Braun.
Brauhma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 15:33   #40

Boat: GS 37 BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
You cannot tie a bowline on a rope that is under pressure.

Yes you can do bowline if you do the knot by one hand. The other hand keeps off the tension.
My grandpa taught me knots from his navy times and one of them was making a bowline single handed & eyes shut. You walk the bitter end with your hand until the very end of the knot at which point you need to change your finger grip to cross the standing part to pull the end through a loop to finish the job..

Happy to show the method here, but I have no idea how???
citlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 16:09   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citlab View Post
Yes you can do bowline if you do the knot by one hand. The other hand keeps off the tension.
My grandpa taught me knots from his navy times and one of them was making a bowline single handed & eyes shut. You walk the bitter end with your hand until the very end of the knot at which point you need to change your finger grip to cross the standing part to pull the end through a loop to finish the job..

OK, more accurately, you cannot tie a bowline in the part of a rope that is under pressure.

(Tying a bowline around your body single handed by taking the load with your off hand above where you are making the knot is a common skill which every sailor should be familiar with )

Tags
knot