Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2006, 12:55   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yeah as long as someone doesn't think, Oh goody, a mooring, and go and hook up to your float.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 14:26   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Now wouldn't that be the pinacle of stupidity. It might jsut happen. Maybe this thread should be moved to the "Do you carry firearms?" page. I thinks that it would be proper cause to shoot someone's hull if they did hook up to the buoys.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2006, 21:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No need to go that far charlie, you just let the line go and in the morning, they will in one of three places. No where to be seen(best outcome) on the beach(not so good an outcome) or bumping along side you(worst outcome)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 01:58   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Anchor retrieval/marker floats unnecessarily clutter up an already crowded anchorage.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 12:15   #20

I've spent alot of time sailing the Bahamas and this style of anchoring is utilized when there is a tidal flow strong enough to defeat the wind's effect. If you anchor and the tide is ebbing sometime that evening the flood will begin and your boat will swing 180 degrees possibly tripping a single anchor. So....you put an anchor 180 degrees opposite of the first. (The 60 degree angle is better if you want two anchors to prevent dragging but not really a Bahamian moor) I have never (and never heard of) tying the rodes together.

Two points:

The anchor rodes will usually twist with each tide change. Some people will use their dinghy to run their stern around to take the twists out. I usually just deal with it when weighing anchor (but I don't stay anywhere long)!

In a tight anchorage (Allens Cay at the north end of the Exumas is a good example) if everyone else is Bahamian moored you need to follow suit. Because the two anchors prevent the boat from swinging (it just pivots basically) if you are the only one on a single hook, your 360 degree swinging radius will probably put you into one of the "stationary" boats on the tide change.
CaptainRic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 21:13   #21

thank you Captain Ric,

It really leaves me a lot of thought as to when to use each of these mooring techniques. Do you think that the 60 degree angle will work well for tidal changes. The article (URL posted earlier) suggests that going 180 degrees puts alot more stress on either one of the anchors. I can see where it would be better in a tidal situation as long as both anchors are solidly set. I'll have to study it some more.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 30-04-2006, 09:10   #22

The 60 degree spread is to distribute the load between two anchors whereas the 180 degree bahamian moor is to deal with tide changes. One anchor handles the flood and the the other the ebb tide. Of course they must be set as if they each were the only anchor.

The only time I've used the 60 degree setup is riding a hurricane out in Marsh Harbour, Abacos.
Old 30-04-2006, 09:16   #23

One other thing. If you enter an anchorage and all the boats are bow to a tidal current and not to the wind, you may want to consider the bahamian moor. If you have room to swing 360 degrees you can forego it but use an anchor other than a danforth that will hold with the 180 degree shifts (like a big plow or CQR).
Old 30-04-2006, 16:17   #24

thanks Rick:

I'm going to Punta Gorda, Florida tommorrow. It looks like a lovely place. We are going to charter an Etap 32 for a week. I think that we'll have to try the Bahamian Moor while there.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 01-05-2006, 09:56   #25

Charlie:

I'm jealous.

Have a great trip.

Let me know if you want me to come down and personally instruct you!

Ric
Old 01-05-2006, 14:08   #26

Does anyone here use two anchors on one rode.. spaced perhaps 30 or 40 feet apart? Presumably they both can dig in and give extra holding. I would figue the scope to the closest anchor to the bow. If both dug in, dragging would mean dragging BOTH anchors... No?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 15:26   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Yep, two anchors on a single rode would mean ”...If both dug in, dragging would mean dragging BOTH anchors...”, as would retrieving the ground tackle.
I hoist every time I un-anchor, and I never drag a well-set anchor.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring