Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2018, 00:20   #421

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I owned a mortage free house and had two kids by that age. NO. Their failure is most certainly not my failure. I do not accept responsibility for what you perceive as your failure. My two boys were taught self reliance, a solid work ethic and responsibility. One is a high school principal and one is dean of a private school and neither one has ever held their hand out.
I've agreed with everything you've said. If I wanted lazy, irresponsible kids, I'd have had them myself. Not my kids, not my failure. Their failure lies somewhere else, but not on me
Old 15-02-2018, 00:23   #422

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
I find it curious that you don't see the irony in that statement.
Touche'!!! I thought the exact same thing...SMH
Old 15-02-2018, 00:26   #423

Boat: Volkscruiser

I fully agree Thruska with the keel hull join fibreglass bandage. I once repaired a Swan yacht that had a hard grounding. The port side of the keel hull join that had been fiberglassed had no cracking at all. The starboard side of the keel hull join weirdly was not glassed at all and had cracked. If the whole keel hull join had been glassed I doubt there would have been any cracking at all. At the yard I did my time in every yacht we built had fibreglass on the keel hull join.
Cheers
Old 15-02-2018, 02:10   #424

Boat: no boat any more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souzag818 View Post
I've agreed with everything you've said. If I wanted lazy, irresponsible kids, I'd have had them myself. Not my kids, not my failure. Their failure lies somewhere else, but not on me
Old 15-02-2018, 02:44   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Getting back to the subject of the keel. Has anyone any definitive info as to whether it’s off or not ?
Valid question, from the description (taking water but capsized later) it seems the keel didn't come off immediately but it should be definitely off - otherwise the boat would right itself.
Old 15-02-2018, 02:55   #426

Quote:
I strongly suggest anger management and Valium. Your personal failures are yours alone.
Keep those unnecessary personal attacks at bay please. -

Otherwise, after your 10+ posts regarding this subject, your position is clear. But nice that almost 16 KUS$ so far find the couple amicable enough to have given some money. One party even gave 1000 US Dollars. Wow!

But why not. Maybe they found unexpected good from somewhere and share it further. Your sons may one day be in a situation where they need help. Maybe not financial, but otherwise. And then as a father won't you be glad if they don't find themself all alone?
Old 15-02-2018, 03:01   #427

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Folks, this thread is flip flopping about more than a fin keeled yacht stuck on a sand bank in shallow water.

Can we please keep the thread clean and to a standard you would want your granny or your 13 yr old daughter to read.

Peter

Old 15-02-2018, 04:05   #428

Boat: Tartan 40
Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Getting back to the subject of the keel. Has anyone any definitive info as to whether it’s off or not ?

I know a friend who went into an uncharted inlet on jersey coast in the dark and got the keel pounded thru the hull of his Islander30, sunk in five minutes. Coast guard on site, seatow rescued him from his dingy .

I was an hour ahead of him in Cape May. Long story....

Which inlet? No offense to your friend, but there’s not an uncharted inlet in NJ one should do in broad daylight and calm, let alone at night, in a keelboat. To my knowledge only 3 real jettied inlets: cape may, atlantic city, and manasquan. I would only do cape may and atlantic city at night.
Old 15-02-2018, 04:15   #429
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Valid question, from the description (taking water but capsized later) it seems the keel didn't come off immediately but it should be definitely off - otherwise the boat would right itself.
Kinda hard to do if grounded and on its side in 3-4ft of water.. and full off water due to wave action and rising tide.
If chart depths are to be believed they grounded at low water as (if depths are printed to standard) with 4ft MLWS they would have cleared the bar in any state 2hrs either side of low water.. but from their description they bottomed out then wave action swung them beam on and toppled them.. not being very experienced/knowledgeable they would conclude the keel fell off.
As yet there is zero confirmation that it did.. or I have missed it somewhere.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
Old 15-02-2018, 04:23   #430

A picture could tell more than a thousand words...
Old 15-02-2018, 04:36   #431

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Attitude and preparation have a lot to do with it. But so does luck. Many of us may never know or realize just how close we were to total disaster at times.

Im sure many of us have done things in boats that could have ended badly. I know I have...and not just when I was young and stoopid.

But, a bit of forethought can avoid most of these situations. Overlooking a possible keel bolt issue is understandable...attempting an unfamiliar tricky pass at night...not so much.
Old 15-02-2018, 04:42   #432
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Here's a video.. you can see the boat at various states of the tide.. sometimes half the hull, sometimes just the top as it lays there.
Do not think he knew quite where he was or what the depth was, just assumed it from chart info.. to far out to have hit any of the charted obstructions further in.. a rookie mistake that, from what a local says, has been done by experienced locals.
There but for the grace of the tree fairy..

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...ses-everything

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'Useful Idiots' of the West still pay for war in the hope it triggers the 'Rapture'.. LMAO.
Old 15-02-2018, 04:45   #433

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
Mine is $277/year for liability and comprehensive. Value 16K. My homeowners policy kicks in after 1M.
Who is that through? ? Comprehensive through BoatUS was quoted at $1300/year....which I simply couldn't justify. But $277 is very reasonable.
Old 15-02-2018, 04:58   #434

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Which inlet? No offense to your friend, but there’s not an uncharted inlet in NJ one should do in broad daylight and calm, let alone at night, in a keelboat. To my knowledge only 3 real jettied inlets: cape may, atlantic city, and manasquan. I would only do cape may and atlantic city at night.
I believe it may have Hereford inlet ? I think it is perhaps charted but not for depth.
I went into Manasquan at night with huge rollers and the bridge tender only opened one span, half the bridge, jeez Louise....
Old 15-02-2018, 05:04   #435

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
I am very upset, but, if you read my posts, you will see that "Some people who worked a lifetime to be able to do cruising their way in old age seem to be especially upset " does not apply to me at all! I set out on our 1st rtw with 25 & returned with 32, having made a dream (then it was, particularly for Austrians, much more of a "distant dream" than today) come true through diligence, caution, circumspection, hard work, saving & frugal, spartan living.
begging for handouts is despicable!
Well how wonderful you are. Let's pile on those who tried, and failed. Why would you assume that I was directing my comments to you specifically, when they obviously didn't apply to you?
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size