Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2014, 03:57   #31

Re: Finding the Family Cruiser

With your budget you should back up in time, most of the present day cruisers can not see how your plan can work. Cruising on a budget and buying and outfitting a simple boat is your only choice with the dollars you wish to spend BUT where there is a will there is a way. Read some of Pardey's books because that's more the style you will want to be looking at. Good luck in your plans.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:28   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 45.2

Tob

I have a Jeanneau 45.2 and i find it to be very well built as would the 42.1 in your post it has a fin keel and a spade rudder as do almost all Bene's Bavaria's and Jeanneau's . The picture below is a jeanneau 42.1 i believe .

Regards
Greg
Hartleycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 07:48   #33
tob

Cheers. I get much more boat and living area than with the 70s and 80s boats. Can I enhance the rudder, put protection in front of it? I don't mind loosing a knot or two. I should probably also put in place an emergency rudder, to lower if needed. What about the keel on these boats, why did they put new bolts last year. It's a company selling it, I know they do charter. So I guess many amateurs have bounced on rocks with it? Should I employ an independent surveyor eventhough it's company selling it?

Regarding money, we might be able to enhance the house loan a bit...

Sent from my SGP511 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 00:13   #34

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tob View Post
Will this boat do?
Jag vill tipsa om en annons på Blocket
Sun Odyssey 42,1 - 1993 | Stockholm

Sun Odysessy are generally good boats. this one is a fair bit higher price thanyou originally started out at.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2014, 10:46   #35
tob

http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/listi...oat_id=2560358

How are those Japanese boats, please? Found one in a neighbor country of mine.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:25   #36

Boat: Elan 45

I am in pretty much same situation as you, apart from not even having any boat and just chartering at the moment. Together with my wife we plan similar longer trip in around 5 years time and with more or less your budget or a bit more. But we will be just two of us with maybe occasional guest. And I have more free time to do the work of preparation by myself fro which i plan to spend several months in the winter before leaving.

Will be following this thread if some more information comes up. Btw, there are plenty of ex charter boats here in Greece and Croatia - I have sailed Jeanneau Sun Odyssay 42.1 and am toying with the idea of something like it. Maybe it is not that far from you - you can always get a law cost flight and sail it up, or just keep it in the Med for a year and leave from here.

Best regards
Dimitar
Cafe Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:21   #37
tob

Thanks for the advice. I really liked the Jeanneau 42.1 interior layout. So is the boat up to the task. Maybe so. We're buying in two years time so I am compiling an Excel sheet in which I list the brands and models that may suit us. In this sheet I am listing each boat's pros and cons, and approx price etc. Not sure about buying in the Meds. I have only five weeks of vacation per year. Read many books of circumnavigations and sailing to the Carribean. Would be nice to sail same route, i.e. via Kiel canal, English channel, or perhaps the Caledonian canal etc. Visit places along the route, e.g. in Spain and Portugal where the food and wine is great.

Feels a bit problematic to prepare the boat and pack it if it's not nearby. Buying In England or the Netherlands, I need only two weeks to sail her home. Apart from the ARC plans I really want to sail the Meds on day, and probably will. Having visited most countries in Southern Europe, it's the perfect place and where I want to retire someday...

Tags
cruise, cruiser, family