Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 09:41   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

People used to be afraid of wolves, but very few recorded human deaths in North America.

The movie Jaws probably heightened fears of sharks.

There is an article that shows many things that kill people far in excess of sharks, some of which we think are cute and not dangerous (deer).
Old 05-08-2011, 09:45   #2

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Maybe we should not be that afraid of sharks?

I've hear there is a rash of water moccosin deaths on boats as habitat is shriking and they are becoming WAY more aggressive. Particularly true of sailboats....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:58   #3

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Aren't jelly fish tied for first place with lion fish?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:15   #4

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753
Re: Maybe We Should Not Be that Afraid of Sharks

Unless you spill blood in the water ( female or bloody scraps from food stuffs ) you rairley will attract sharks. I used to sail a Hobie cat off the east coast and loved to sail by sleeping nurse sharks and slap there fins.
There are some varieties of sharks that you do not want to get that close to like breeds of dogs. As others here have said there are more dangerous creachers out there.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:36   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Given the rapacious Asian appetite for shark finning, they should be afraid of us.

If there are many left, that is.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:38   #6

It is very true! death by shark is very rare.

According to that article, you are more likely to meet your end by falling out of bed......FALLING OUT OF BED! [that one surprised me]

But most of those things on the death toll are things we can guard against easily. Not wanting to die of obesity/atherosclerosis? that's what diet and exercise are for. Worried about autoerotic asphyxiation death? use a pet-guard collar like the rest of us! Bathtub? lifejacket. Icicles? helmet. Ants? raid. Even walking through an America's most wanted neighborhood, you still have weapons, charisma/diplomacy, sprints, etc .. to help you.

I've actually read quite a few stories of people getting snatched right out of their shoes by crocodiles. These situations range from being in a lake swimming to walking on the beach NEAR the water. So quick is the incident that most of the victims weren't even afforded the time to yelp.

Maybe we should focus a little less on being afraid of sharks and be more terrified of crocs...
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I've hear there is a rash of water moccosin deaths on boats as habitat is shriking and they are becoming WAY more aggressive. Particularly true of sailboats....
According to www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/waterski.asp the water moccosin stories are pretty much that stories not to be believed.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:14   #8

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
According to www.snopes.com/critters/snakes/waterski.asp the water moccosin stories are pretty much that stories not to be believed.
After living by the Chattahuchee river in Georgia I disagree. Every year folks get bit by water moccosins crawling into boats from the water and some times lots more than one snake gets in the small low sided ( less than 4 ft ) boats.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Maybe we should focus a little less on being afraid of sharks and be more terrified of crocs...
If you live in Oz you will want to be aware of the danger of both of those creatures. And, lots more people are bitten and maimed by sharks than actually die from the bites.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:36   #10

Boat: Ohlson 38

More people have been bitten by people than have been bitten by sharks.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:44   #11

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
If you live in Oz you will want to be aware of the danger of both of those creatures. And, lots more people are bitten and maimed by sharks than actually die from the bites.
If I recall the statistics indicate that while only about five persons per year are reported as having been killed by sharks, the number actually attacked and bitten is 60-70. When one considers that a simple test bite from a medium or large shark is enough to maim or cripple a human, the incidence of shark attacks takes on a more sinister aspect than the small number of fatalities would otherwise indicate.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:55   #12

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Been frog gigging many times and have had water moccasins try to get in the boat, they are very aggressive.

People biting people usually don't bite off arms and legs or worse.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:09   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Well, I honestly don't know anyone who was bitten and maimed by a shark, but I do personally know one person who was bitten and maimed by another person. Had his nose bitten off...so what virginia boy says must be a true fact.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:21   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
People used to be afraid of wolves, but very few recorded human deaths in North America.

The movie Jaws probably heightened fears of sharks.

There is an article that shows many things that kill people far in excess of sharks, some of which we think are cute and not dangerous (deer).
I think it predates Jaws. There were a couple of incidents on the Carolina coast of the US of shark "attacks" that became a media sensation.
I can't find where I read about it. The press found it made good copy despite the fact that dogs bite more people then sharks. The media loves a good shark story.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 12:32   #15

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Hollywood, movies and sensational journalism add to the fear of sharks. One problem is with the word "attack" by definition that is a bite multiple bites that is premeditated with intent. Not likely in nearly all shark "bite" cases because if they were hunting us no waters would be safe.
Sharks bite people generally by mistake either young sharks exploring their environment (no hands) or adult sharks hunting in murky water and it is mistaken identity. Yes sharks are large powerful predators and one bite can maim or kill, but they were here first and we are in their environment and they are much more threatened by humans than we are by them.
I am a dive instructor and worked in the Bahamas for over a year doing photo and video on shark dives and have over 1500 dives with sharks of multiple species. I helped with the shark work in the movie "Open Water" and "Into the Blue" and can tell you sharks are not all that interested in people they only come around them because they can get food from them. Like we used to tell clients " sharks eat people in Hollywood"
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote