Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 21:10   #1

San Diego Marinas

Hi All,

We are looking to spend a year in San Diego and wanted to get some feedback from people in regards to the noise level from the airport.

We are looking at marinas in the Harbor island area.

Thanks
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 21:55   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingover View Post
Hi All,

We are looking to spend a year in San Diego and wanted to get some feedback from people in regards to the noise level from the airport.

We are looking at marinas in the Harbor island area.

Thanks
We lived in a house just the other side of I5 from SAN and weren't at all bothered by the noise, we would regularly hear a low rumbling if we were paying attention. That would change when the San Ana's kicked in and the normal flight pattern reversed, the noise was a lot more noticable though not to the level of being objectionable.

The key was being even with the runway, which I belive most of Harbor Island is. At that point the aircraft are all at ground level and the intervenning building and vegitation attenuate a lot of the noise. Being close to the ends of the runway, the noise will be louder as the aircraft are airborne, especially the west end the direction planes normally takeoff toward and are at high thrust settings.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 21:58   #3
cruiser

is harbor island near sea world? that sounds like hwere i was a couple weeks ago and the noise was terrible...

plans tanking off like every ten minutes...

there was some military training but those are interesting.. I was watching helicopters refueling exercises
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:06   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
is harbor island near sea world?
No, it's some distance away. I have spent plenty of time in, and around, the Harbor Island/Shelter Island areas and the only jet plane noise I have ever noticed came from the Naval Air Station.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:09   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
harbor island marinas do have a noise problem. houses are equired to have certain insulating factors marinas donot have. is noisey. the worst one is sun road. runway is right there. ouch. their prices are quite high also.
shelter island isnt so noisey. south bay is quiet. very very quiet. but it takes a coupla hours to gt out of the bay. harbor island and shelter island are much closer to the bay entrance..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:09   #6

Send a message via AIM to meburma Send a message via Yahoo to meburma Send a message via Skype™ to meburma
Harbor Island is directly south of the airport and quite frankly when you are at the marina the airport noise is hardly noticeable unless you are very noise sensitive. (Everyone has different tolerances for noise.)

Sea World is north of the airport by several miles.

This is my town... grew up here... know it well.
meburma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:16   #7
cruiser

what is the marina right next to sea world?

and is that near an airport? either civilian or military? I am 'sensitive' to noise as i am hard of hearing, but, literally, i had to stop talking and or ask the other person to wait until the plane passed...

Im not sure if it was a 'wierd day' where the planes were on a different flight path or not. but it was nuts...
Old 08-02-2011, 22:31   #8

Boat: TPI Lagoon 42
I've had my boat at both Shelter and Harbor Islands. Harbor Island gets a bit more noise from Lindbergh Field (civilian) during the day, but Shelter Island is closer to North Island, where F-18s, helos and other military aircraft operate. Remember that take-offs from Lindbergh are prohibited between 2330 and 0630, so it's all the same at night - quiet.

For what it's worth, I prefer Shelter Island because you can walk to all the marine services, chandleries, etc. and there's a bunch of restaurants nearby.
Yotboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:33   #9

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Welcome to SeaWorld Marina in San Diego
To have a boat in Mission Bay though, you need a short mast. J24's can make it under the bridge, but just remember to go under the center of the bridge. I think 26 foot was the limit for LOA for mooring a boat in MB.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 22:58   #10
cruiser

i was at or near mission bay road.. on quiveras road.. (the south side?)

there are several marinas there.. they were all next to each other and they were all loud.. not far enough apart to make a difference from a plan 2000 ft above them...

it was nice and pretty... and away from 'city'...
Old 08-02-2011, 23:13   #11

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:20   #12

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top
The human animal is very, very adaptable. Most just don't want to be.
Did some time on an airbase and was surprised how quickly I adjusted to all the random noises.
kenny chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:52   #13
cruiser

true that.. but, doesnt mean we shouldnt shoot for 'lower' (volumes that is)

I hope to be bothered by the sound of mantis and pistol shrimp snapping, instead of the constant blair of an interstate across the street from my condo...
Old 10-02-2011, 13:33   #14
nes

Boat: Island Packet 445
My boat is in Marina Cortez on Harbor Island South and West of the Airport, and the noise is not bad. Also, I spent the day at the Boat show, which was held at Sun Road Marina (on the other end of Harbor Island), and the noise was not bad there either. Of course as has been mentioned before, everyone has a different level of acceptance of noise.
nes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 20:07   #15

Thanks Nes for your feedback. Any idea why Sunroad marina is the cheapest out of all the ones on shelter and harbor islands?

Tags
marinas, san diego