Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2021, 17:32   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Non NZ cyclone season options

Maybe what El Ping is getting at is a pandemic is a pandemic, and as long as people come into NZ for reasons of commerce, there will be the possibility of extra-community infection, and one won't know, till it is discovered that it did happen.

It is that we have moats, Tassie and NZ, and so far, all is well; AND it needs vigilance to maintain public safety. It is also costly. All this stuff is co-habiting, uneasily.

Ann
Old 12-07-2021, 18:31   #47

Boat: Benford 34ft Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Maybe what El Ping is getting at is a pandemic is a pandemic, and as long as people come into NZ for reasons of commerce, there will be the possibility of extra-community infection, and one won't know, till it is discovered that it did happen.

It is that we have moats, Tassie and NZ, and so far, all is well; AND it needs vigilance to maintain public safety. It is also costly. All this stuff is co-habiting, uneasily.

Ann

That's obvious and that is why conditions for entry are very strict... New Zealand has a rational government and we are not living in La-La land. We know that to keep things the way we have requires constant vigilance.
sailorxyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 18:36   #48

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
As NSW is currently demonstrating you can go from zero to hero totally rooted in the blink of an eye.

So don't get too comfortable.
"Totally rooted" is zero deaths from covid in Australia during 2021, doesn't get much worse than that.
Old 12-07-2021, 21:45   #49

Boat: Still building

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Total deaths in Australia during 2021 from covid = 0, that's zero, nada, none, mate.

Total cases in Australia from the latest version is in the tens, that's 10s mate, not hundreds or thousands.

Australia's biggest problem at the moment is scare mongerers (mainly state based politicians and their professional health advisers and a predominately left wing media)

Sorry, Ray, but not correct. There's been at least half a dozen deaths this year, three in the past week alone - 1 in SA and 2 in NSW.

Cases in NSW are in the hundreds, now, and the previous Melbourne outbreak got as high as the high hundreds per day of infections.

Voters keep supporting the various govts' strategies for minimising COVID spread - it has nothing to do with a "left wing media".

All media has been pretty unilaterally critical of the Fed govts' lackadaisical approach to vaccine supply, which the clinical experts agree is contributing to the 'vaccine reluctance' as much as the previously low case numbers.

I live in a regional area, which is not affected by the lockdowns currently in place, and I know from talking to locals and monitoriing local socials that people would rather be locked down and safe than risking the lives of their loved ones.

Of course, there are effwits everywhere who choose to disobey the regulations and health orders, like the house painter who drove 200km from his hime in SW Sydney, a red zone hotspot, to regional Goulburn to work on a new hospital, and promptly brought the Delta strain with him, so it is now a serious concern for that regional area.

"Stay at home" means precisely that.

It's not rocket science. It's epidemiology. Very scientific. Very certain.

As people move around - so they spread the disease. Stop the movement, slow and eventually stop the spread.
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 23:43   #50

According to the media the first death from covid during 2021 was a 90 year old woman in NSW a couple of days ago. If there's been a couple since we're up to 3.

In relation to state border closures NSW has the best record and has been least xenophobic about returning Australians having accepted more than half of the total. Contrast this with the Victoria, Western Australia and Queensland.

It is very interesting that whilst the states are claiming authority when it comes to covid caused lock downs and state border closures and the states are entirely responsible for medical services delivery somehow it's the commonwealth government which is responsible for the non delivery of immunization services. The commonwealth government placed orders for millions of doses of vaccine even before it was developed and CSL started production as soon as licensing provisions became available.

The latest publicity escapade from the left is a former leftist prime minister claiming to have been responsible for getting supplies of the Pfizer vaccine when both Pfizer and the media organization which originally publicized the claim have now denied the claim.

It has been abhorrent to watch these predominately leftist state premiers, having accepting to participate in a national cabinet where decisions to respond with nation wide coordinated responses to the virus are made, step out the door and immediately call press conferences to denounce the decisions arrived at.
Old 13-07-2021, 00:31   #51

Quote:
According to the media the first death from covid during 2021 was a 90 year old woman in NSW a couple of days ago. If there's been a couple since we're up to 3.
First COVID-19 death in Aus was in QLD on the 12/13th April 21.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ines/100059930

Two deaths in recent days in NSW well reported (90 year old woman & a man in his 70s) I only heard about the 2nd one after my earlier post this morning, the South Australian one posted by Buzzman was a 72-year-old woman believed to have died from blood clotting linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, she didn't have C-19 so is not recorded as a fatality from C-19.....total = 3 so far for 2021

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...o-az/100286764

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 01:25   #52

I'll start panicking when we get to 10??
Old 13-07-2021, 11:37   #53

Quote:
That will be far to late, all the toilet paper will be long gone by then.

Old 13-07-2021, 11:49   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorxyz View Post
That just changed mate.....

It's become pretty obvious that when someone uses the expression "the left wing media", it means the media reported something they didn't want to hear, or would rather deny. It translates to "Don't confuse me with the facts"

The delta variant is on the loose in Oz as we speak. Here is an NYT article from July 2 .... 11 days ago. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/02/world/australia/delta-covid-zero.html

You will find dozens of articles as recently as today from all parts of the world including Australia. Delta may not be any more deadly to those infected, but it spreads far more easily, and probably so rapidly that contact tracing will not keep up with it. Already in other parts of the world where vaccination rates are low..... a mere 8% for Oz (for various reasons)

Where I live only 42% are vaccinated....... a pathetic figure largely caused by a certain Mr Carlson who'd BS is taken as truth by a large segment of the local population.. The result of his nonsense is a spike in cases, and in deaths....... There will be no more lockdowns......They accomplished their purpose of slowing the spread until vaccinations were available........ I got mine at the earliest possible time, fully vaccinated (second shot) April 9. Those who refuse it are endangering others by facilitating / speeding the spread, which also means that people die of other medical issues either out of fear of going to the hospital or because they are forced to defer treatment.

I have never had Tetanus, Diptheria, Smallpox, Polio, and numerous other diseases that used to kill people.......... because of vaccinations. I think most of us here if we are honest can say the same thing. This thing is NOT a joke. I've lost four friends to it so far.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2021, 15:01   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
That will be far to late, all the toilet paper will be long gone by then.
After the last time I'm not taking any chances and keep a minimum six role reserve aboard at all times.
Old 14-07-2021, 00:24   #56

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorxyz View Post
Wots your point? That we should be stupid like the UK etc...

I'm in New Zealand and our government has done a great job... we plan to keep doing what we have so far done very successfully.
Don't get too cocky.... it only took one driver to kick off NSWs current issues.

You have this - that I took an hour or so ago- plus another up at New Plymouth- where the covid is just waiting its chance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	viking bay.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	242023  
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 00:43   #57

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about dying or running out of bog paper.
Almost 10% of cases in NSW are in hospital - a third of them in ICU.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/n...13-p589c8.html

Anybody seen Peta in the last few days?
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 00:44   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
First COVID-19 death in Aus was in QLD on the 12/13th April 21.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ines/100059930

Two deaths in recent days in NSW well reported (90 year old woman & a man in his 70s) I only heard about the 2nd one after my earlier post this morning, the South Australian one posted by Buzzman was a 72-year-old woman believed to have died from blood clotting linked to the AstraZeneca vaccine, she didn't have C-19 so is not recorded as a fatality from C-19.....total = 3 so far for 2021

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-...o-az/100286764
So we have 3 people out of a population of about twenty five million so far this year and it's July and for that we've gone a good way towards destroying our economy, burdened our youth with massive debt and surrendered a goodly portion of our civil rights. A man in WA was recently sentenced to seven months in prison for breaking quarantine by associating with tradesmen working on his house, draconian or not?
Old 14-07-2021, 00:50   #59

Quote:
So we have 3 people out of a population of about twenty five million so far this year and it's July and for that we've gone a good way towards destroying our economy, burdened our youth with massive debt and surrendered a goodly portion of our civil rights. A man in WA was recently sentenced to seven months in prison for breaking quarantine by associating with tradesmen working on his house, draconian or not?
Preaching to the choir.....

Old 14-07-2021, 02:43   #60

that's 65 in hospital,

21 in ICU,

4 on ventilators,

City population 5,000,000.